Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steering Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steering Wheel Noise

True. :P

It doesn't bug me enough to do anything about it unless there is some known safety issue alert out about it. Hmmm now you got me thinking...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Wow, talk about resurrecting a dead thread. First post here by the way.

I have the same noise coming from my steering wheel. Always happens when I've been driving the car for a while, and when I'm going very slow...like turning corners in a parking lot. I also notice it when I go slow over pot holes.

It honestly sounds like pigeons cooing when you turn the engine. Like a rubber seal isn't quite lubricated.

This thread is close to year old. Anyone find any answers to this issue?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Update.

So I took my car into the dealer today. Took the mechanic for a drive so he could hear first hand what the noise is.

Turns out that the noise was coming from the power steering rack. They were unable to locate exactly where the noise was coming from, so they ordered a brand new power steering rack....on the warranty's dollar bill of course

The good news though is that it is not damaging to your vehicle. It's "just an annoyance" as the mechanic put it.

For anyone with the same problem, I hope this helps
Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
It honestly sounds like pigeons cooing when you turn the engine. Like a rubber seal isn't quite lubricated.
Keepin' the thread alive man!!!

LOL - when you turn the wheel is what I think you meant here, and I have just started to get this noise. What such fun is I had that right side front noise over bumps when going slow that has been discussed in detail elsewhere here, and even a nasty right front squeak over large bumps -dealer fixed that all up and now I have the pigions cooing when I turn the wheel - Glad I love my Ford and just don't take things to seriously anymore!!! Looks like next oil change I'll be getting a new rack!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

When the power steering is warm it just makes that sound. Mine does it, so does my wifes 06 dodge caravan and my chevy truck.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:08 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
When the power steering is warm it just makes that sound. Mine does it, ....
This is true for me too, when its cold, theres no sound, by the time I get to work (20mins), its pigeons cooing (biceps really nailed how it sounds with that), I was gonna try and discribe it, but luckily found this thread.

It seems like a lot of people do not have this as this thread doesn't have that many agreeing they have the noise...and its an very old thread.

Joshpony, how long did you take to notice it after you got your car?

Its definitely going to be on the list for me to ask about next dealer visit.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I didn't really notice it, because I've heard it before on all my other vehicles. My wife pointed it out to me around 26K and I told her to listen to her van, she did and it was there. I've always accepted it as a regular mechanical noise, just like the stupid 'click-click' of the directionals.