Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steering Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 AM
dmc2904

Default Steering Wheel Noise

I am getting noise from my steering wheel after long drives....it's like a rubbing sound when I make turns (if that makes sense). Has anyone else had this problem or know what it is? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Steering Wheel Noise

Does this just happen after long drives? And does it happen when you turn the wheel only to the left, right, or both?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:09 PM
dmc2904

ORIGINAL: Slacker584

Does this just happen after long drives? And does it happen when you turn the wheel only to the left, right, or both?
so far it seems to be only after long drives, and yes it happens when I turn the while right and left.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:27 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

This is a funny (but not really) thread, and timely. I just noticed mine doing the same thing just now and was going to ask in a different thread.

dmc2904, how does yours sound like? For me, the rubbing sound occurs when turning the steering wheel in both directions. It is a very subtle but higher-pitched squeaking sound. I can hear it only when the car is idling or when moving very slowly, otherwise the sound would be drowned out by the noise of the exhaust and motor. Is this similar to your experience?

Help?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:07 PM
dmc2904

ORIGINAL: powerband

This is a funny (but not really) thread, and timely. I just noticed mine doing the same thing just now and was going to ask in a different thread.

dmc2904, how does yours sound like? For me, the rubbing sound occurs when turning the steering wheel in both directions. It is a very subtle but higher-pitched squeaking sound. I can hear it only when the car is idling or when moving very slowly, otherwise the sound would be drowned out by the noise of the exhaust and motor. Is this similar to your experience?

Help?
Hey powerband....you described it perfectly....that is exactly what happens with me. I usually have my stereo on so I don't really know for how long it's been going on. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 PM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

My car 2005 has had the same problem for 3 weeks. I rent a 2007 mustang another day. The rental car has that noise, too. I have no idea what happens. If you find out, please tell me.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

This might be a normal sound of the power steering mechanism?
Who else has this? Please share.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

IT GIVES THE CAR CHARACTER!!!

Does your car ever say "OMG what are those strange noises and smells dispursed into my seat on a daily basis?" NO, the car just assumes that is your character and continues functioning normally. You should do the same for her :P lmao

Just kidding. With all the jokes aside, mine has made this noise from day one. It seems normal, everything functions fine --much love for my car.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:56 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: powerband

This might be a normal sound of the power steering mechanism?
Who else has this? Please share.
Just recently I noticed this sound when I pull into my driveway after work. The engine is warm and the fan is running. It's not an obnoxious sound, very subtle. I can sit in my driveway, turn the wheel either way and it will make the sound.And yes, I only notice it when idling or moving very slowly and when the engine is warm and the fan is running.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 PM
dmc2904

ORIGINAL: xyster

IT GIVES THE CAR CHARACTER!!!

Does your car ever say "OMG what are those strange noises and smells dispursed into my seat on a daily basis?" NO, the car just assumes that is your character and continues functioning normally. You should do the same for her :P lmao

Just kidding. With all the jokes aside, mine has made this noise from day one. It seems normal, everything functions fine --much love for my car.
lmao! but come on dude...all seriousness...this can't be "normal". This is a car not a go-kart.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Noise