Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Specific Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Default Specific Exhaust Question

So, I finally got to see the underside of my car and the mechanic told me I didn't have Flowmaster, which is what I thought I had. Instead he said my dual exhaust is just two regular pipes. Nothing special. But my sound is deep and healthy.

Is that what people call "true dual"? Or is it just two pipes put together to pretend like dual?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Specific Exhaust Question

i think....and im sure if im wrong someone will correct me...but i believe true dual means that a pipe comes from each header..i.e. they dont meet at a y x or h pipe.......i may be wrong, and im trying to be logical.....anyone?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phunnyguy

i think....and im sure if im wrong someone will correct me...but i believe true dual means that a pipe comes from each header..i.e. they dont meet at a y x or h pipe.......i may be wrong, and im trying to be logical.....anyone?
Yes, I alsodefine "true duals"as two pipes, from the headers back, without any crosspipe.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

whew! i didnt want to look like a dummy....

i learned most of my logical thougth processes from star trek...

so thanks mr spock!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 PM
08_stang

yea they got it right true dual means that theres no point where the 2 pipes join which is what all v6's come stock with i threw a set of magnaflows on mine and it sounds awesome but if your just looking for sound and dont care about how much gas you burn, the fact that you wouldnt have the tips, or that youll lose a bit of power i would just go straight pipes. i was running mine like that for a while but it got to the point where i couldnt race b.c i wasnt keeping enough back pressure and my wallet was feelin kinda light

but straight pipes sound awesome just take off the mufllers n take a spin round the block ull c wat i mean
Old 04-24-2008, 01:21 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 08_stang

yea they got it right true dual means that theres no point where the 2 pipes join which is what all v6's come stock with i threw a set of magnaflows on mine and it sounds awesome but if your just looking for sound and dont care about how much gas you burn, the fact that you wouldnt have the tips, or that youll lose a bit of power i would just go straight pipes. i was running mine like that for a while but it got to the point where i couldnt race b.c i wasnt keeping enough back pressure and my wallet was feelin kinda light

but straight pipes sound awesome just take off the mufllers n take a spin round the block ull c wat i mean
?
The 4.0 v6 stangs come stock with single exhaust...back from the manifolds to two cats, then from there they join into a y-pipe and go out a single muffler.

and straight pipes sound like poo lol i should add that to my sig I say it so often.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

if i ever get a 5.0 i would put straight pipes on it.....
Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, my car is two headers, each with a pipe running straight back into two mufflers and out two exhaust tips. But they are shaped like an 'X' but not connecting.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i generalize true dual as either h-pipe, x-pipe, or no cross pipe. no cross pipe only is also straight pipe. laying pipe is another subject. lol [8D]