Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Racing V6 Power Upgrade Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 PM
stelliform

Default Ford Racing V6 Power Upgrade Package

Hey guys,

I have been enjoying reading the site for a while, but I can't seem to find an answer to this question.

I am planning on adding the Ford Racing dual exhaust to my '05 soon, and then I was going to do a CAI/tune next. When I was poking around on fordracingparts.com I found the power upgrade package for $1049 that looked like it has everything. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Ford CAI/Tune for the V6? I am not worried about the warranty since I have 35k miles on my Mustang. To me it looks like it would be cheaper to get it all at once with the package, but I don't want to sacrifice later performance just to save a couple of bucks today. Thanks!

S
Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 PM
rock61992
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing V6 Power Upgrade Package

well i havent modded my car much but from my research on this forum id say this would be a good deal, ive heard nothing but good from the ffrp exhaust kit but honestly i've never even heard of the ffrp intake or tune. best advice i can give is to not rush into anything when doing performance mods, depending on the gains from the ffrp intake+tune i'd say go for it. if not look at some other sites for better intakes. v6mustang stuff and american muscle are some of the best or you can take a look at the other site links posted on this site.

P.S. youtube and the exhaust sticky in this section can be of good use should you for some reason not get the ffrp exhaust
Old 04-28-2008, 06:10 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

You won't sacrifice performance. It has a 12hp gain. It may not be as much as other kits claim, but it's not but a couple of hps away of what you will gain from any other CAI and tune. If this was offered when I was looking, I would've done it no questions asked. I already have the duals and love'em. The Ford pro-cal tuner offers no user adjustments, all it does is copy the stock tune, and upload the Ford racing tune.You can reinstall the stock tune later if you wish.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: stelliform

I found the power upgrade package for $1049 that looked like it has everything.
The price really isn't that bad. When I add the cost of my CAI/tune and duals (which is all Ford parts with x-pipe and GT take-offs), it is about the same price. However, I think that you are giving up a little in terms of flexibility. It sounds as though the package only offers one upgraded tune, and it requires the use of premium fuel. Any aftermarket tuner (Like Brenspeed, VMP, Bama, Alternative Auto, Evolution) will supply you with 3 aftermarket tunes plus the stock one. Most of the guys with a CAI/tune select from 87, 91, & 93 octane tunes (with different styles like torque, mileage, race - depending on tuner). In my case, I have a 87, 93, and race fuel tune. But if 93 wasn't available around here I'd go with a 91 tune. I also have the flexibility to use the handheld tuner to adjust for the aftermarket gear ratio, and different diameter tires (which I change frequently due to the drag radials). I'm not sure the Ford package allows you to change those parameters yourself.

Again, it's not a bad deal, but you need to consider if it is a good fit for you. Another possible choice would be to buy the FRPP exhaust from Ford, and go with an aftermarket CAI/tune.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Also I don't think you get the same performance increase off the FRPP tune, I think you would be better off getting the FRPP V6 dual exhaust kit, and going with a a CAI/Tune from bama/brenspeed/etc.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i think its great if you want your car to strictly stay with ford/ford racing parts and mods. but as other members stated, flexibility is sacrificed. honestly, i think this kit is MUCH MORE useful for a car lot who are jazzing up stangs for quicker sales. the exhaust is the real keeper in this package IMO. overall, you can't lose with this kit but there is still some left to gain.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: stelliform

Hey guys,

I have been enjoying reading the site for a while, but I can't seem to find an answer to this question.

I am planning on adding the Ford Racing dual exhaust to my '05 soon, and then I was going to do a CAI/tune next. When I was poking around on fordracingparts.com I found the power upgrade package for $1049 that looked like it has everything. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Ford CAI/Tune for the V6? I am not worried about the warranty since I have 35k miles on my Mustang. To me it looks like it would be cheaper to get it all at once with the package, but I don't want to sacrifice later performance just to save a couple of bucks today. Thanks!

S
Is the car auto or manual? If it's auto, go with BamaChips intake and tune. They are dyno tested and have specific tunes for auto setups. Something that is often overlooked by other tuners
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 PM
stelliform

Thanks for all of the input. That is exactly what I needed to know. I was pretty set on the frpp dual exhaust based off of everything else I have read here. I just had not thought of getting the tune right away until I saw this package. I like the fact that the Ford tune certainly doesn't void the warranty, but the other tuners sound like they have many more options. I think I will wait on the CAI/tune.

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Is the car auto or manual? If it's auto, go with BamaChips intake and tune. They are dyno tested and have specific tunes for auto setups. Something that is often overlooked by other tuners
It is auto, I will definitely check them out.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

i have a manual and was thinking of the frpp cai and tune, then get a case of the oil filters....my car is dealer serviced and i like ford parts, in addition since im a daily driver i think it would be good for my ride, however i keep hearing about bama tunes....my concern with this is ....do i need to own the tuner...sct diablo etc....also which are the good ones...there are many out there...and then how do you get the tune from bama.....also what cai works well with thier tunes....in addition do they have a daily driver tune.....i assume the ford tune is limited as they want to appeal to daily drivers which is why im leaning this way, i dont think a bama tune would hurt the car, but i dont know what im doing ....i.e. load the tune etc......
Old 04-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phunnyguy

i have a manual and was thinking of the frpp cai and tune, then get a case of the oil filters....my car is dealer serviced and i like ford parts, in addition since im a daily driver i think it would be good for my ride, however i keep hearing about bama tunes....my concern with this is ....do i need to own the tuner...sct diablo etc....also which are the good ones...there are many out there...and then how do you get the tune from bama.....also what cai works well with thier tunes....in addition do they have a daily driver tune.....i assume the ford tune is limited as they want to appeal to daily drivers which is why im leaning this way, i dont think a bama tune would hurt the car, but i dont know what im doing ....i.e. load the tune etc......
loading a tune into the car is easier than setting up your car radio. if anything is close to challenging, it would be loading the tunes onto your programmer from your PC if you order the tunes separately. the FRPP tune sounds similar to the jet module in terms of "one" tune and no other options. nothing wrong with that at all if flexibility is not a concern for you.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing V6 Power Upgrade Package