Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dual Exhaust Problem, anyone else have it?(UPDATE)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 PM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

Default Dual Exhaust Problem, anyone else have it?(UPDATE)

So, as I said in another post, about 1,000 miles after putting on my dual exhaust, my check engine light came on. Dealership replaced the bank 1 o2 sensor. So, on my way home today, after about 300 miles, the check engine light comes on AGAIN! I can only imagine it is the same problem, and that my dual exhaust is causing. Before to long the dealership is gonna catch on that my exhaust is modified, and not cover it. Also, I don't really want to have to keep replacing o2 sensors. So, has anyone else had this problem? Anyway to fix it? Anyone know a cause for it? Any info is appreciated!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dual Exhaust Problem, anyone else have it?

lol....Yeah, my exhaust did the same thing. It's just the emissions light, not a check engine.

Best thing I could say is take it to a racing shop so they can erase it, but keep the stock tune. Otherwise, uh...no clue.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

When you had your duals installed, did they mess with the sensors? I know my shop asked me if I wanted my cats gutted, but I told them the car is new and I didn't want to void my warranty.
I've had over 1000 miles since my install.....no problems so far.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

do you have a tuner? you can turn off the rear O2 sensors to prevent you from getting this error. lot of people do this that have an O/R H pipe.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Almosta year and a halfon my JBA's ... no lights, no problems
Old 05-03-2008, 06:09 PM
jakecat22
2nd Gear Member

No, I did not mess with my sensors. Just cut the old pipe off after the cats. The code I am getting is for the bank 1 oxygen sensor, drivers side before the cats. Replaced it once, 300 miles later, set it off again.

No, I don't have a tuner, but if I had one, I could just turn off the o2 sensors and take care of it? I am not following. Could you explain more in detail? Could I turn it off with anything else(code reader from say....autozone?). I know that it is not hurting anything, but looking at my dashboard and seeing the little orange motor lit up just drives my INSANE!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM
JimC

I have had my duals on for about 9 months, and a lot of miles, and no problems. I cut off just after the cats and welded in a FRPP X pipe in place of the Y.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:49 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Same here... but I also have a tune now...

But in that 3,000 mile period that I hadn't had tunes, nothing ever happened. hope it isn't a big issue for you guys wanting to replace your exhaust in the future either!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:10 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I have about 6000 miles on my H duals. No problems. I reflashed today from 87 to 91 octane.
I change many parameters and I don't see where to turn off the o2 sensors. I'd like to know more about that please.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

I doubt your dual exhaust system is the reason for the problem. Your cats are still in place so you really don't have a loss of back pressure. I think the problem is someplace else. Maybe your engine is running rich and there is unburnt fuel fouling the o2 sensors. A tune won't do anything for you because a tune only shuts off the rear o2 sensors which are after the cats.

^To the poster above me
You can't turn off the o2 sensors with your Xcal. The tune shop is able to adjust many more parameters than the ones the Xcal allows you to change on screen. Only the tune shop can turn your o2 sensors on or off.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Problem, anyone else have it?(UPDATE)