Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I have to admit, the GT is smoking fast...

Old 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: I have to admit, the GT is smoking fast...

ORIGINAL: Wishbone

Having a 4.0 and 4.6 and talking to a couple diffenent mechanics I can add that the 6 is much more reliable than the V8. My own experience I've had coil problems(which the 4.0 doesn't have) and am still working on a #7 misfire problem that I haven't quite figured out yet plus plugs are known to shoot out of the 4.6 so from a reliability standpoint the V6 wins.
That's a new edge problem, not the S197. The S197 Gt's have their own Spark plug issues as in cementing themselves into the head from carbon build-upand breaking apart when being removed after 50K+ miles thanks to the 2 piece design of the plugs.

As for performance differences between a S197 V6 and GT remember that the computers in both cars are adaptive. So to drive a broken in V6 vs an off-the-showroom GT is no comparison. I bought an 08 GT auto with 82 miles on the odoand I can tell you the car has woken up since I've broken it in (1300 miles now).

Times for the both manual and auto GT are nearly identical in the 0-60mph and 1/4 mile with the manual having a slight one or two mph advantage at the trap. Auto's can be slap-shifted and it makes a HUGE difference in acceleration as does making sure to have your TCS off. It's factory on the GT, not sure about the V6. The TCS in the GT is seamless. I tried to spin the tires with the TCS on only got a slight slip, not even a chirp. Turned it off and good god I couldn't get off the gas fast enough to keep it from roasting the tires and had to feather it when it shifted to second to get the grip back.

I came from a V6 manual tranny (00) so I do occassionaly miss teh stick but I won't back to manual. I can actually channel surf on the radio now when cruising to work in rush hour traffic.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Spaunen
Banned

We sixers have german made engines. Assembled in America. Gt's on the other hand have american engines but assembled in mexico. My dad and I test drove the GT a month ago and there is a huge difference. I love both cars, test driving the Gt was sooooooooo fun but an extra 5-8 grand plus double the insurance isnt worth it. Someday I hope to buy a GT myself =)
Old 05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the 6 cyl engine is made ina ford plant in Germany. the 8 cyl engine is made in Michigan. the MT is made in Mexico, and the AT is made in France. i believe they are both assembled in Michigan at the ford/mazda plant.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/20..._vs_camry.html
Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

the computer i am using right now was assembled in china....[&:]
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ptkthekid

It's the manual trans. It bakes a HUGE difference in our cars. I have a manual sixxer. I think it's plenty fast. I got a chance to drive a stock auto GT. I was not super impressed. I truly feel that with a fair amount of go fast parts and a tune, I might be able to take a stock auto GT. On the other hand, Those manual GT's are pretty quick. If they have some go fast parts and a tune, They are probably beasts. Although, you don't see a lot of GT's modding thier rides.

On cold days my v6 manual which is stock except for ninosport duals actually seems to get 0-60 times closer to 6 flat or at least very low 6s.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

onederful100, that was a good read. I'm curious as to what other vehicles around the world use the 4.0L. Also I thought Tremec(who makes the transmission/manuel) was a Canadian company. Wouldn't make sense for them to make them in Mexico I wouldn't think.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

I know I had to be off a little bit but I usually do this for fun in the country with my friend. We get a stop watch and manually clock the 0-60 and I have gotten in in the 5's with my automatic tuned pony with parelli's. I admit though, some days it really does feel like it pulls WAYYYYyy harder than usual. I haven't even put in my 4.10's yet either.

I was driving to work yesterday morning and had to pass about 2 farm trucks. I floored it right after a stop sign (it's in the country) to pass them quickly before we got back out into traffic ahead. It just SCREAMED through the gears. I could see some people in the distance that were working on some canals turn around and stare when I passed. It just had soo much extra today. It was a bit chilly out. My mustang is n/a but not stock.

I test drove an automatic GT and can tell you that there is a considerable difference between that of the stock automatic GT, a tuned automatic GT (HAULS!), and a stock manual GT (regardless of tune really). My favorite of those was the manual which you could really tell that it had some power behind it. The auto GT without the tune just felt... like oatmeal...with getting up and going.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM
theresa
4th Gear Member

I would love to get a GT. I haven't had a chance to check out the power difference.....yet.
I live right by the Ford plant where they are made. Most of the Mustangs around here are V6's. Very rarely I see a GT.

Yesterday after leaving my sisters, me in my car, hubby in his Dodge Ram. I pull up to the light next to him...he jumps his truck, like to say let's get it.... I smile, and say let's go.
Light changes and I let it scream off the starting line...lol I had him by a couple of car lengths real quick....I'm pretty sure he let me win...but fun none the less.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Full_Throttle06
1st Gear Member

I couldn't help but post this-

Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]I had a chance to drive a shelby mustang. I dunno they just felt heavy to me. My 6 felt alot quicker, even tho it was supercharged and all, but still. The shelby gt felt big and bulky to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have to admit, the GT is smoking fast...