Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP duals ordered! - Pics added

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:36 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

Default FRPP duals ordered! - Pics added

Just got back from the dealership, they should be here wednesday or thursday. I'm so excited, just love the feeling of getting a new mod for the car.

Anyway, I want to install them myself and have a couple questions. My friend works at a dealership so ive got access to a lift and some tools. Are there any parts of the install that are somewhat tricky or not covered clearly in the instructions? What did you use to cut the Y Pipe?

I installed the aeroturbine myself, but haven't done anything like a catback install before and don't want to end up messing the install up. It will be on the car by friday one way or another and I'll post pics as well as my thoughts on power/sound vs my aero turbine.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP duals ordered!

If you are using a lift, the tricky part is already solved. The hardest part of the install for me was snaking the mid-pipe over the axle with the car on jack stands. It was pretty aggravating. Cutting the y-pipe was not fun with a hack saw either, but I Tom Sawyered my 17yr old son into doing it. Oh yeah, if your using the black cutout trim pieces, those were a real PITA also. There's just not much room between the fascia and metal bumper in that area. Doable, but not fun.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
imnutz66
1st Gear Member

Yea, the cutout trim screws are a real pita, not much room to get the nuts on and I had to go back later and cut the top screws off cause they vibrated against the bumper cross brace. I used a chain cutter to cut the Y, but a sawzall would work fine. Use the stepped band clamps on the Y that come boxed with the X, and yes, you will have two extras. Enjoy the sound
Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

If you are using a lift you should have no problem installing the kit. Follow the instructions carefully(especially measuring and cutting the Y pipe)and the kit goes together nicely. Use a sawzall or even a hack saw, its only exhaust pipe and cuts easily. Take your time on the bumper cutouts, theyARE a pain. You will love the way the kitlook and sound! Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 AM
05_mustang
1st Gear Member

A sawzall type saw works the best.
It took me & my son-in-law only 1-1/2 hours to do.
It was on jack stands, and getting the old pipe out was the hardest part.
And yes you will have 2 extra clamps.
Some report that you are short 2 bolts in the box for the muffler hangers but if you pull off the extra hanger on the passenger side that is not being used anymore you will have the other two.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05_mustang

A sawzall type saw works the best.
It took me & my son-in-law only 1-1/2 hours to do.
It was on jack stands, and getting the old pipe out was the hardest part.
And yes you will have 2 extra clamps.
Some report that you are short 2 bolts in the box for the muffler hangers but if you pull off the extra hanger on the passenger side that is not being used anymore you will have the other two.
+1 on both statements. I only received 2 bolts, the instructions don't mention reusing the old, but it was obvious, as I still had them on hand. Some have discarded the extras when installing axlebacks. The instructions also don't mention using the "stepped" clamps. I didn't at first and the "Y" to "X" joints were loose and leaking (my stepped clamps arrived spilled out in the box and I was missing a bolt for those clamps, had to go buy one). I went back laterand installed the "stepped" clamps and it works like a champ. You will have 2 extra (actually three counting the one that came off the stock set up) of the big OEM style clamps. The rear pipes are a butt joint (OEM clamps), the front where the "X" installs at the cut "Y", the "X" pipe slips over the "Y" (stepped clamps). Make sure you cut the "Y" longer,behind the opening of the "X" like the instructions direct. And torque everything to specs.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:26 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. Glad I saved the bolts when i swapped out the muffler.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I didn't have a problem with the flanges or bumper cut-outs. They aren't easy, but if you just take your time and have the right tools, they go in pretty smooth.

Or you could just get a GT take-off bumper
Old 05-14-2008, 03:09 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

just picked up the box from the dealership, dayum those tips are huge!

I'm gonna cut that bumper today and do the install tommorow, the template for cutting the bumper wasnt in the box, so i had to print it from online. kind of pissed me off that it wasnt included
Old 05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

I didn't get the templates either. Minor inconvenience. Just make sure you copy them at 100%. Have fun!

Quick Reply: FRPP duals ordered! - Pics added