Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 PM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Just a few questions

Okay I'm supposed to get my 3.73 gears installed tomorrow but I see a lot of people on here getting a lsd put on at the same time. My first question is if I get the gears put in could I put the lsd in at a later time? What are the cons with that just having to pay for labor again? Next question would be where is a good place to but an lsd for the 7.5 rear end? I've heard a few differnt ford cars have come with the 7.5lsd and people have gotten them from the junk yard. Is that a good idea or is there a better option?

My next question is I started my car today and it was smoking quit a bit. Nothing too major but a little more then I'm used to seeing. It wasn't too too cold out I would say like 45-50ish. It was white smoke and it was a steady supply of smoke. I'm sure it was nothing but is this normal? My las car I had I fried my rings and was causing a lot of oil to burn off and it smoked a little bit like this. I guess I could do a compression test tomorrow but I just wanted to see if it's anything to be worried about.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:14 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just a few questions

I don't have either but I am pretty sure you could have it put in at another time but would have to pay labor twice which is a PITA so I would just wait until you get the LSD. You could try the junk yard haven't heard of anyone on here doing that for an LSD but here is one site with them. http://v6mustangstuff.com/05Drivetrain.htm
Old 05-12-2008, 02:16 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Don't pay twice for a job. Installing gears can get very expensive! Save for the lsd and have them installed TOGETHER. You can get a new Ford lsd for around $200.00 from many performance parts houses. V6mustangstuff.com for one.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:40 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Kill 2 birds with one stone and get them both done at the same time....

Unless your prefer throwin your cash away like that LOL...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:52 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

^^^^ [sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I paid $700 bucks for parts, labor and tax to get my FRPP 3.73's and FRPP t-lok installed at a local performance shop.

That would be the best way to go.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

It would make absolutely no sense to have your lsd and your gears installed at different times. It is going to cost about $500 bucks for labor if you do them together, or $500 bucks each if you do them separately. The lsd is a reasonably cheap part (less than $200.) if you don't have the money right now, I would wait or borrow it. Under no circumstances would I pay the labor twice. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Well the only problem is I'm moving soon. I wanted to get these gears installed now before I move and I don't know if the lsd would arrive by the time I moved. The shop quoted me at 150$ for the install of jsut my gears and at that price it's too good to pass up. That's my logic does it make sense?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

150 for a gear install? thats damn cheap. almost too cheap. [&:]

id still wait, but thats just me.you may open yourself up to gear whine when he does them again.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

http://store.chipsv6specialties.com/c75tr719.html

$196.97 free shipping this is the only place to BUT(LOL) or BUY a LSD. Install it with the gears not after.
LOWEST PRICE ON THE WEB I have Found

Quick Reply: Just a few questions