Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

i'm kind of concerned...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:36 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: i'm kind of concerned...

ORIGINAL: cplayero8o2

i have an auto v6 2005 convertible... and when i push it hard at the start, it doest burn out or even make a little sound... it just starts pullin slowly till it hits i believe the 3rd gear then it start pickin faster, i test drove a similar car before i bought mine and it burned out and i felt that car had more power (too bad it was sold when i went back to buy it) but i noticed that my car when it hit the second gear i hear a little sound like air goin out, idk how to explain it, sound a little llike a supercharger... but if feels like my older 98 grand prix gt has more power than my mustang, specially at the star.... do you guys think there is something wrong with my car, or thats how they are ?

thanks in advance....
Do you watch "My Name Is Earl"? Karma. Everyone who has abandoned the proper and consistent use of capitalization in their on-line communications is destined to remain tire-squeal-less.

My questions: what tires are you using? Some spin easier than others. What tire pressures? Higher pressures (sometimes) spin easier. Why do you want to spin the wheels? If you want people to look at your (already lovely) car, honk your horn or run into something.

I was sure I had a lemon when I first tried spinning a wheel and couldn't. Now, after nearly 18 months of mods and learning, I do a big-smoke burnout with the best of them. No limited-slip differential, so it's just that one wheel.

The mods: 194.6 rwhp via K&N drop-in air filter (of little performance value), GT takeoff muffler (quite a bit of performance, and a lot better noise), Bamachips 91 octane tunes (VERY MUCH THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK)(not hhat there is anyting wrong with Brenspeed or the others). Beginning with stock tires and no mods, I averaged eighth-mile mid-10s. During the modding/learning evolution I migrated to very low 10s on average, with an absolute best (so far) of 10.000.

The learning made a lot of difference. The tires I use at the drags now are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, 275-35-19. They are the only street tires I've tried that actually respond to a burnout, getting sticky enough to launch very well after about a 6-second smoker. It took a while to learn how to 1) anticipate the green light, 2) keep from standing on the start line in a cloud of smoke, and 3)do an in-place burnout. But seeing that half-second improvement with close to minimal power enhancement, did my heart good.

It is possible to get a vanilla V6 automatic to do a wheel-spinning start without a corner, but it takes technique and practice. And it's not worth the trouble unless you are at the drag strip and your tire's grip is improved by it. It's MUCH easier once you have the TUNE, but still, not worth it outside a drag strip.

Just to transfer some knowledge from other threads, most jurisdictions (everyone has one) can penalize you for "Speed Exhibition" even if you don't get out of first gear in a 65 MPH zone: the noise, including wheelsqueal, is evidence that you're guilty. QED. I did almost all my wheelspin practice during sanctioned race events. No tickets, plenty of fun.

Enjoy your car, but don't make it hard on yourself. Fast and quick are the goals, not loud and obnoxious. (/Preacher mode)

Resp'y,
Old 05-16-2008, 04:42 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: i'm kind of concerned...

Ooops!