Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

intake minus tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

Default intake minus tune

so i was looking at this http://www.stangmods.com/AFE-Stage-1...-V6-p/0003.htm 12hp is the highest number i've seen without a tune.

however, i walked in to a partsource and talked to soem dude with an 86 firebird. he told me a few things.

1. AFE sucks
2. the roush intake for v6's doesn't require a tune.
3. the K&N intake is better than the AFE in take.

what's true and what's not? i finally saved up enough money to buy that plus the shipping off that site (about 250). now i'm second guessing my choice in intake, but i have the money at the ready so it's no biggie.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Default RE: intake minus tune

It is a marketing scam, you will see minimal real world performance for your money. Just save up a little longer and get a complete CAI & tune package. stick with the proven tuners: BAMA, Brenspeed, VMP and you won't be wasting your money. they all offer real value for your performance dollar.
Start by checking out the VMP package it is reasonabley priced with many satisfied customers!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

if you go with just an intake at this time, it should only be considered a first step, not a final solution. tunes and intakes go hand in hand.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM
chavalo_nm1
3rd Gear Member

just like everyone else....said.....definetly do the intake along with the TUNE. make sure to get one that requires a tune also.....
Old 05-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I had the AFE for about a year. I would'nt say they "suck", it was a well made piece and I never threw a CEL. I also got my best gas mileage ever so I assume it might be because it was running on the lean side? It was not easy to feel a difference.

After a year I switched to C&L and Brenspeed and as others have said that is the way to go, youimmediately feel the difference.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:05 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

alright sweet. i don't know about the guy i was talking to, he told me i'd get 15-20hp with a K&N, so i took his opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

I had the AFE for about a year. I would'nt say they "suck", it was a well made piece and I never threw a CEL. I also got my best gas mileage ever so I assume it might be because it was running on the lean side? It was not easy to feel a difference.

After a year I switched to C&L and Brenspeed and as others have said that is the way to go, youimmediately feel the difference.
i think these statements need to be clarified because you ran the aFe WITHOUT a tune and then you noticed the big difference when you changed to a C&L + Brenspeed tune. the difference felt is more credit to the tune rather than the intake. i originally had an AEM brute force which i swapped the restrictive dryflow filter with a S&B cotton gauze. i was also running bama's tunes and it performed great with one wheel burnouts and all. i then upgraded to a C&L and felt a very minimal difference (mostly in the low end). dont get me wrong, i love my C&L and i'm glad i have it but once you have any highflow filter element, ur not gonna feel anymore significant differences from one high flow intake to the next. the larger MAF housing intakes get you a few more horsies but not enough for the driver to "really feel".
Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

CAI+proper Tune for the CAIat the same time.
There bare no baby steps for this move.
Jump in with both feet or dont jump.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I feel that any tune that is worth a dime, requires a tune. If you buy one that doesn't and decide later that you want to go with a tune, you will be handicapping yourself.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

i think these statements need to be clarified because you ran the aFe WITHOUT a tune and then you noticed the big difference when you changed to a C&L + Brenspeed tune. the difference felt is more credit to the tune rather than the intake. i originally had an AEM brute force which i swapped the restrictive dryflow filter with a S&B cotton gauze. i was also running bama's tunes and it performed great with one wheel burnouts and all. i then upgraded to a C&L and felt a very minimal difference (mostly in the low end). dont get me wrong, i love my C&L and i'm glad i have it but once you have any highflow filter element, ur not gonna feel anymore significant differences from one high flow intake to the next. the larger MAF housing intakes get you a few more horsies but not enough for the driver to "really feel".
Yep Sancho...it was clearly the tune that made the difference...I thought that was pretty obvious, but I guess you never know what people might read into things. I would have kept the AFE but I couldn't find anyone with a canned tune for it, so I made the switch.

Quick Reply: intake minus tune