Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hood Scoop with 3M Tape???!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Mustangca1

Default Hood Scoop with 3M Tape???!

I bought a 3d Carbon hood scoop for my Mustang but I'm having second thoughts about putting it on with "3M Tape". Friends say its a bad idea because wind and rain could blow it away, or too many car washes could make it loose, even damage the paint. Anyone experience problems with these scoops? I Really like it alot, I tried it on the stang to see how it looks. But I just cant bring myself to do it because of the 3M Tape. I know the promoter adhesive will help but is it strong enough to stay put??

Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 PM
project85
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hood Scoop with 3M Tape???!

Use the adhesive promoter+3M Tape...
Its stronger than you think shouldn't have a problem if you install it correctly
Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I don't know 100% about hood scoops, but I've heard lots of people use the Cervini's window louvers (which are very scoop-looking and also catch a lot of air) with just the supplied 3M tape and I've never heard of people having problems with those.

3M tape is pretty strong stuff so you should definitely be okay, but hopefully someone with a taped-on hood scoop can chime in with some first hand experience for you.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

That's pretty tough stuff. That's what's holding my louvers on and I've never had any trouble with it. The hood scoop that I'm using has two-sided tape as well as a few small screws to hold it on. Are you sure that your scoop doesn't have at least a few screws?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Mustangca1

ORIGINAL: 68XR7

That's pretty tough stuff. That's what's holding my louvers on and I've never had any trouble with it. The hood scoop that I'm using has two-sided tape as well as a few small screws to hold it on. Are you sure that your scoop doesn't have at least a few screws?

No the 3d Carbon Scoop is only 3M tape. I don't know if I feel confident in using it. We have Santa Anna winds here. Is it that Strong?
I have nightmares of it sliding down my hood scratching it along the way or flying up to the windsheld cracking it. and I know once I put it on, theres no turning back.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

That tape is pretty strong, I wouldn't worry too much. I just don't like fake scoops.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

high five on the faux scoops!

i took all mine off, and the car looks great.

3m tape held up real well though - it was a PITA to get those things off! 3 hours and 4 fingertip blisters later I had most of the adhesive off... now i have to polish the leftover areas still...
Old 05-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

That tape is pretty strong, I wouldn't worry too much. I just don't like fake scoops.
In Russia, fake scoops don't like YOU.

I have a fake roush scoop. But even if I decided to make it real, it really wouldn't make a difference. A bit more air into the engine, whoop dee doo. I like it for strictly appearance...same as louvers, side scoops, etc.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Signify
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustangca1

I bought a 3d Carbon hood scoop for my Mustang but I'm having second thoughts about putting it on with "3M Tape". Friends say its a bad idea because wind and rain could blow it away, or too many car washes could make it loose, even damage the paint. Anyone experience problems with these scoops? I Really like it alot, I tried it on the stang to see how it looks. But I just cant bring myself to do it because of the 3M Tape. I know the promoter adhesive will help but is it strong enough to stay put??

Hey there! I have also a 3d carbon hood scoop installed in my stang with double sided tape.. i got it with 200 miles on my car and im at 14000 miles and it is still in perfect shape!!! ive had alot of car washes, i from soCal and i have driven to vegas and arizona on those long freeways with no cars around and i hit the 120 MPH and its still hanging on tight!!! so go ahead and install it
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

you should be alright with the 3m tape, havent had any problems with mine yet.

Quick Reply: Hood Scoop with 3M Tape???!