Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

VMP or BAMA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:56 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

Default VMP or BAMA?

which should i go for? im going to purchase my tunes most likely by tomorrow. hopefully tonight, and im wondering which company to go with...

I like the looks of BAMA because of their selection of tunes (93 race, 93 torque, 93 performance) as opposed to VMP's two selections per octane. and maybe its just how theyre advertised, but they dont sound as powerful being only called 93 octane Performance. BAMA calls thier gas mileage tune performance... whats the deal?

I want to compare the top tunes of both companies. Race (BAMA) Vs. Performance (VMP) I like the VMP deal of getting the 3" maf housing and conical filter for only 80 bucks more, because it shows dyno gains as high as the C&L. but are the actual tunes themselves as good or better than BAMA? anyone have experience with both? or just dyno graphs of one or the other?

Last, does VMP take the conical filter & larger MAF housing into consideration in their tune or have they developed a standard "performance" tune for all 4.0 V6 mustangs? i realize that each engine will be a little different, but im wondering if the R&D for that package included a different tune for the one with the 3" MAF.

basically what it comes down to is i want the best tune i can get without going dyno tuned. (I will be getting that done later however when i go heads/cams.) Any input? thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: VMP or BAMA?

i love my BAMA tunes

but it sounds like you'll win either way
Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
vancebreck
1st Gear Member

I bought the VMP C&L package w/ Xcal3. Came with the C&L intake tube, the VMP MAF housing and a S&B filter. The tunes I ordered were the 87 mileage, the 93 milage and the 93 performance. I personally didn't experience the responsiveness that others have reported with the 93 Performance tune so I decided to buy the Bama 93 Torq tune. When I loaded the Bama tune the car just died.After some email diagnostics Doug determined that the problem was with the MAF housing.The VMP housing is 10mm smaller than the C&L housing thatDoug sells with his C&L package. I was able to get ahold of a C&L housing and successfully installed the Bama tune.The difference is subtle but I do notice more of a punch with the Bama tune than the VMP so I run the Bama tune all the time now. But that is just my personal"seat of thepants" measurement.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

thats interesting that its a whole cm smaller in diameter... talk about false advertising... so its not a problem to buy tunes and tuner from one place and then turn around and buy atune from another company? you can still use the same tuner right?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

I had both. But Justin at VMP told me to dump my Demolet CAI 'cause he said it wasn't built with quality. He had trouble tuning for this also.. but he does really try to help and has excellent customer service. I'm sure I'd be amazed with his custom cai and his performance tune for that.

Doug's race tune works absolutely amazing though.. I run it for my daily driver
Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

is anyone running the WMS cai with either tunes? thier product has also interested me alot.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:01 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

VMP tuner and cai. I like his mileage tunes. Power anddecent mileage!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07lane40

is anyone running the WMS cai with either tunes? thier product has also interested me alot.
yeah, this cai has been available for a little while now but not a lot of feedback from it. i'm guessing its too pricey and that its unique setup is skeptical (although it "appears" more efficient) compared to almost every other cai available for our 4.0's.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 PM
jjjmm49
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone with an auto been able to chirp the tires going into 2 at wot
Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jjjmm49

Has anyone with an auto been able to chirp the tires going into 2 at wot
i was able to do that back before gears/lsd with AEM cai and bama race/torq tunes.

Quick Reply: VMP or BAMA?