Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

10's in 1/4 mile by V6

Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 10's in 1/4 mile by V6

ORIGINAL: Yellow Tang

Dear RYGEN if I my call you that

I did not know this was YOU. How cool is this. I found the story to be very good reading and I had no Idea someone on here has done what you have done WELL DONE +100 on your car I think it is a AWSOME Accomplishment. If I had the money I would do it too. I just loved reading about Your Car. Bravo Sir

You can call me that, or Todd, that's my first name. Thanks for the props, it was a community effort, there were folks doing this before me and after me. All of us with a common goal of figuring out what it can handle, different combinations and approaches.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Rygen, I think it's folks like yourself who have helped keep the Mustang name alive and well. It also makes me feel not so ashamed to be driving a six banger!
Keep us posted on your 5.4 swap.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I need to put up a thread on my 5.4 on this site as well. Lance went with the GT500 4v motor, his is way stronger than mine. But here is the latest on mine, it sports a custom intake by Powerhouse Automotive, and a 67mm turbo, 4r70 transmission rated at 1000HP and a Percision 3200 rpm stall. I love the intake he put on it, it has the intercooler built in, battery relocated to the trunk and in its place, a huge water reservoir.

Details as follows:

ORIGINAL=Rygen

Got a significant update. Planned to pick the car up this past weekend, went up to PA and hung out with Lance and Ron (hence the video in Lance's car). The car is pretty much done. I drove it throughout the day Saturday, and it was strapped to the dyno as well. Mike has it dialed in with a very very safe tune.

Unfortunately there is an issue with the transmission, on like the 5th test drive, the trans suddenly missed 3rd gear. Mike said the computer thinks the car shifted into 3rd gear, but the rpms just keep climbing. Mike is calling Lentech tomorrow to see what's up, after that is sorted out, I'll go back up and get the car.

I did some pic's and videos, the videos will go up later this week, as all my video editing stuff is on the work laptop.

Here is the engine bay, I have not decided if I'm polishing the intake or powder coating it black, so its in an unfinished state. Still amazing piece, the design is simple, yet so effective. I'm surprised that MMR and the other vendors that make 5.4 3V intakes didn't go this route, would have shaved them a ton on R&D and production and allow them to bring their intakes down to something more affordable.

I'm also very pleased that Mike kept the alternator in the stock location. Here are pics of the Afco unit, thought people would find it interesting how f'ing big this thing is:

The spider monkey himself:

And some more random pics from the shop visit:

A sweet fox that Mike was working on:

And some of Lances car:

I did drive my car for a fair bit, as the trans was fine throughout the day and on the dyno. The car is insane down low, it breaks loose at will, I observed it breaking loose at 40mph and 60mph. The stall is great too, even on streets I was able to get the car up to 2800. I noticed improved power braking and stopping with the new Hawk HPS pads all the way around too.

So we are there except the minor issue with Lentech, and luckily, the builder is in Akron OH, fairly close to PH so I'm sure it will get resolved soon. I'll post a few crappy camera video's later this week, once I get my work laptop.

Oh, and the SLP powerflows, I'm very very very happy with them. They sound great.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 PM
ranebowcyxx
BadAss 13-sec N/A 4.0L

Folks what Todd is saying about others finding the limit is valid. One thing I have decided NOT to do as a result of several people having catastrophic failures is run two power adders.
The bottom end of the 4.0 is pretty solid, that being said my new plans had to incorporate some revision. It was simply, "How fast do I want to go?" I decided I don't want to cage the car, so my limit is set for me 11.50.
Ireally didwant to build a 10 sec V6, but I see now that 10s would take more cash than I can afford to put in to the car, and like I said I don't really want to cage it.
Todd can tell you I really agonized over my choices for this season, and we went over the lessons learned by all the others he mentioned. With some real luck (and a good tune)I'll get my 11s this year and have the same motor in the car in October.
We'll see.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:24 AM
firestang70
2nd Gear Member

@Todd,Lance,Tony and others listed... Thanks for your sacrifices and bringing the community along to help out others. Even GT owners like myself watched with great intrest(sometimes from the rear when racing against you!!!) and gained knowledge. I am excited to see what you and Lance will do with your modular platforms. Ihope to gather more knowledge with your latest projects.

@Tony good luck with your latest project. You are a helluva racer and think mid 11s are very attainable with your new setup.

@Mike poor form sir. Enjoy your second of glory. [edit]

@ All 4.0 owners or potential owners. Do not be afraid to improve the performance of your car. To the turbo guys with twin power adders. If they would of stayed with turbo only 11bs boost even with the stock block, they would still be running. Running 11s (I know I would love to be able to run that consistently) fairly safely. Those guys pushed the envelope. They like to run fast as possible and test and push the limits. The 4.0 is a good solid engine but has its limits just like any other motor. Heck the famed 5.0 can't be pushed for long over 500 hp. It took others testing the limits to find that out. I am sure there were tools who made snide comments on those folks research as well. Good luck to all in their modding adventures.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 AM
armycook1981
2nd Gear Member

Todd has been many many v6 poster child you could say. Seeing as hes ben alot of privately done accomplishments Not as a shop car.

Myself after my mishap on the 2nd motor pyt alot of thoughbt into tmy next build i considered everything. new car, 3 different motors with different types of power adders.

I say for the upcoming v6 tuners is to just research around on DIFFERENT SITES and gain alot of knowledge in the process. Youll find out that you can have your cake and eat it to.

But Before one should just right off the back jump in head first with F.I always remember that it wont just cost the $3500 the kit might sell for on ebay or where ever you see it cheap. Always account for items your gonna need to have and wont to have added. and factor in the cost of a new motor +plus install just incase something detrimental happens. stock motors run around 900 and install should be right in the very low 1000 range.

Just cause some of us have the funds or means to upgrade ***** to the wall.. its not the best for the every day person.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

LX200 just got royally BITCHSLAPPED.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:28 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

I thought that sounded like Rygen's Pony....with that Powerhouse turbo and that 75 shot. Thanks for posting all his mods.

Rygen, Buckman, Army, and many others have pushed the envelope of the 4.0, sometimes beyond the breaking point....just so we can all learn from their experience. (and I think they enjoy going FAST too)

Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge with all of us. I got messages from Rygen and Buckman when I started posting about getting the X-charger. They were both very helpful and knowledgeable, wanting me to make sure it was the right system for me to meet my power goals. I have never met these guys in person, or even talked with them in real life, but they were cool enough to see my plans in some of my posts and give me a heads-up to makes sure I wasn't doing something wrong. How cool is that?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

im just about to order my x-charger and i still feel small compared to you guys.

either way, its because of guys like you that i never get discouraged or ashamed when someone gives me crap for having a 6er or for spending (at least to me) a large amount of money (that i cant really afford [&o]) on performance mods.

hoping one day my name will be listed along with you guys when someone defends our 6ers.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:58 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I wasn't talking about anybody's car specifically when I said that. I didn't use any names, and I had no idea who's car was being talked about. I didn't even click on the link.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10's in 1/4 mile by V6