Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

10's in 1/4 mile by V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Default 10's in 1/4 mile by V6

I just was reading this found it good reading I would like to know how much $$ you think he has in this car

http://www.stangnet.com/Ford-Mustang...0s-070728.html

Powerhouse Built Block
NxPro Boost Controller 13-20lbs
Weisco Pistons, 8-8-1
Zex kit w/75 shot
60lb Injectors
Boost a pump
8.8 Rear end w/3.73
LPW Girdle
Powerhouse/CHE Axle brace
New Red Powder Coated Valve Cover (will post pics once I clean engine bay)
MT ET Streets Drag Radials (255/50/16)
Powerhouse Ported Heads
Powerhouse 3 angle valve job w/upgraded valve springs
Powerhouse Turbo Cams (they also have Centri & Root cams available)
JBA shorty headers
New head gaskets
Upgraded transmission pan w/Amsoil Synthetic
Powerhouse/CHE Anti-Squat Brackets
Powerhouse Line Locks
Modifed car to take Welds for front and back (future use)
Progress Technology Rear Sway Bar
Powerhouse Pipeline Turbo
Powerhouse Lower Control Arms
Powerhouse Upper Control Arm
Powerhouse Drive Shaft
Powerhouse/CHE Drive Shaft Loop
Powerhouse/CHE Panhard Bar w/Poly/Poly
Powerhouse/CHE Panhard Brace
Powerhouse K Member Brace
Dual Flowmaster American Thunder Mufflers
SCT XCAL2 AEM Wideband w/output to XCAL2 & Laptop\u003cbr\>Autometer Boost Gauge\u003cbr\>Reflashed Stock Converter \u003cbr\>Nitto Extreme 450's 255/50/17 up front & 275/50/17 rear (for\u003cbr\>street)",1] ); //>
AEM Wideband w/output to XCAL2 & Laptop
Autometer Boost Gauge
Reflashed Stock Converter
Nitto Extreme 450's 255/50/17 up front & 275/50/17 rear (for
street)

Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 10's in 1/4 mile by V6

It's also good to see somebody reach these times and then NOT have their engine explode ina matter of weeks/months. Anybody can blast a 4.0 with absurd amounts of boost/juice just before they blow it up.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Full_Throttle06
1st Gear Member

that guy is a member of these forums, his name is something like rygenstorm? something like that
Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

I already have most of that ****. Just need the 75 shot and an intercooler.

But never been to the track...
Old 06-06-2008, 06:51 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

It's also good to see somebody reach these times and then NOT have their engine explode ina matter of weeks/months. Anybody can blast a 4.0 with absurd amounts of boost/juice just before they blow it up.
That's real constructive Mike (LX200), thanks a lot for that, thats a real low blow. I actually defended you to people before! Nice one liner and leaving out the facts. I dare your candy *** to post **** like that up on MC.

@All,

Yes, that's my car, and I have a lot of money into it. Hind sight is always 20/20. When I had the built block done, no one knew what the stock rods could take, and what it would take period to build a 10 second 4.0 except for Pauls High Performance (the only other 10 second 4.0, but that's a shop car, with shop resources). I paid out the rear for R&D and have the custom setup I was running. I had the block built to handle 25lbs of boost with race gas, however I went very aggressive with the heads, cams and pistons (still was guess work, no one knew what it could really handle). I stuck with the stock rods, as they seemed strong, and the only after market rods available require periodic replacement as they will stretch over a year or two. Running 8-8-1 pistons, and an aggressive cam profile, I had to work to launch the car. Without a solid stall option, I could not easily launch the car with boost. Now there is a good stall option out for the 4.0, and you can get a 3500 rpm stall for it, but back then, I couldn't....

So I addressed it by juicing it off line with a 75 shot, following Buckmans example. With my near idle launches, the car would run 11.1's pretty effortlessly and when I reduced my rotational weight, IE, my wheels, launched high in the rpms and good track prep, I was able to skate the 10's and finally got me a 10 second pass. Power wise, we thought the car had 10.7's in it, anything more than that I would have needed GT500 pumps. But the mile per hour was down due to the transmission slipping at WOT. It was getting really bad, the stock 5r55 was on its way out, and I bought Buckmans Trans with only about 10k miles on it so I could have the internals beefed up on it.

We think if I would have stuck with boost only, 20lbs, the car would still have the build 4.0 block in it today and running strong, and I'd still be pushing it for all its worth, and eventually end up at 25lbs on the ragged edge. But that did not happen. At my MIR track rental last October, I came out of the hole hard gunning for 10.8's ( even with the failing transmission )but that didn't happen, I ended up widowing the block, and after the run, found a quarter sized hole in it, on the driver side. So I found the limits of the rods, 600ft lbs of tq on my car. It was tough to deal with , cause now I was faced with building up the 4.0 again, or moving on. I decided to go with the 5.4 3v, as I just couldn't afford $3k worth of custom forged iron rods, when I could get a nearly new 5.4 3v take out motor for $500 less, and in the long run, have a greater power ceiling and a 4r70 to boot.

I'm a track nut, and I was pushing this car for everything ounce of power it was worth (while driving it to down town DC every day). I probably would eventually have broke it on boost only too, cause I kept trying to find the limits of it. I think you can run high 11's with a solid tune with this car on the stock block, and all over the 12's, especially if you stick with a single power adder. 13's, piece of cake on this block, it does not even break a sweat. My build block went 11.7's pretty easy, at only 13lbs of boost and got 25mpg as a daily driver.

There are others like me, that pioneered the 4.0 to see what it could do, I probably missed some, but guys like Scrming, Jimp, Fazm, Buckman, Navbtcret, Armycook, Ranebowcyxx, Boss, Racethis, Droptop6, Turbo_J (and gals ), Heatho, Nice Pony, Flapjack, Bscottie, 28hopup, Stangfanatic, Demois, etc. And please forgive me if I left someone else out, but know what all these folks have in common, getting the car out there, seeing what it can do, and proving that the 4.0's got the stuff, at the track, and on the autox course. These folks are putting down V8 Et's, powerlevels, and proving a domestic 6 banger can get it done. Look at Boss, 13's on bolt ons. Guys like Heatho and Nice Pony, ripping it up, beating Cobras at the autox courses. Guys like Ranebowcyxx (long time drag racer), nearly cracking 11's on only 10lbs with his procharger, while his MPH screams 11.7 before he went with a different setup. Guys like Buckman, pounding the stock block for all its worth, getting an 11 flat, though his MPH screamed 10.8 (insane!) and Navbtcret (dedicated track junkie), paving the way for the 4.0 in ET's, FFW and Ford World Challenge events. He's taking home wins, and the fastest Xcharger on the planet! Scrming for running 14's, 13's and 12's, did you all know he was one of the first to get the 4.0 back on teh track when the S197 was hard to find, and dealers were even marking up the 6's. Guys like Jimp for being one of the first to juice a 4.0 (1st or 2nd), netting mid 13's the first year the car was on the street.

Hey Mike (LX200), you don't have any measurement of performance for your car, you don't have an ET, nor an Autox. All you have is your butt dyno and your stop light to stop light comparisons. If you want to criticize people for finding the limits of this car, you need to get yourself out there, otherwise shut the **** up. And don't give us dyno sheets! Here's one of my favorite quotes from a S197 drag racer by the name of Don_w

"HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your a$$?"
Old 06-06-2008, 08:02 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Excellent retort Todd. I particularly liked the insight you shed into how you pushed the limits on the 4.0L motor. Alot of newer members may not know all that you've done with Stella, so the recognition this thread generated is well deserved. I'd like to think that Mike was just making a failed attempt at sarcastic wit, but your response was understandable.

See ya on the track, Todd (soon!).
Old 06-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Back in the day there was no known "limit" on these engines, it was all speculation. The limits must absolutely be found, and leave it up to the hardcore track guys to find it. For that, they risk the engine blowing, parts breaking, and the neverending whining of bench racers asking "why would you do that?" The answer is simple...because someone has to find the limits. The benefits to the community for this effort are twofold. 1) now they know where the "safe" zone is, and 2) now they know what parts it takes to get there and minimize the money spent.

Those of us that pushed the envelope don't do it for praise, don't do it for fame or anything else. We are just knowledge seekers, track junkies and are trying to make the path easier for those that follow. For that we also get targets painted on our backs by people like LX who have never even ran their car.

Todd clearly laid out his build for all who wanted to see. Prices can be looked up easily enough for those that wanted to emulate his build. Him, and the others that were mentioned by him like Scrming, Navbtcret, Fazm and others have always been extremely helpful to others in the community with what works, what doesn't and everything in between.

I would advise the newer members of forums such as this one to do some research into the last couple years here and you will find a wealth of information on the progression of power levels, ET's, and paths followed by the guys pushing the envelope with the 4.0
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
armycook1981
2nd Gear Member

@LX200...

no need for me to get all crazy on you about this.
But your right " Anybody can blast a 4.0 with absurd amounts of boost/juice just before they blow it up".
But you need to put some background into your statement instead ofmaking it seem as he spent millions and it went one pass.

First off you havent been down the track so i bet you think yourv6 is the hottest around cause your butt tells you. well sorry to break it to you but im pretty sure youwouldnt break mid 13's where we all know BOSS245 is high 13's with boltons. and Wait if you were to go dyno what..... maybe 275.. Not even breaching on thefactory gt.

THE ONES who hasd tested the motors IE : RYGEN(todd).BUCKMAN(lance) MYSELF(joey) we all knew what we were doing and we let the trackgreedget us. thats whats called when YOU go "et hunting".. we didnt care all we had were 10's on are mind. While your stick stuck 3-4seconds behind the curve. just think when you go down the the street to to a stop light to stop light. Im already slowing down before you get to my level.

Yep $$$ went into these and we didnt replace everythign but we helpedOUR "FAMILY" our Communtiy out by our unfortunate evetns. You havent contributed nothing.. expect another #19 x-charger member to the stat. I guess if anyone ever cares to know where or who is the fastest in pa . YOUR SIG QUOTE ON THE MC should help them out

"Fastest supercharged 2005 Satin Silver Mustang Vert with C strips owned by a guy named Mike in Eastern Pa."
i guess. lets see... here.. we can take that further for the ones of us who actually built up our v6 for street/track. i guess i could use the following:
"Fastest 2005 Mustang v6 in the southern STATES to extend west all the way to cali. wait come to think of it just OH,PA,VA those are coverd al ready. ............ shoulda thought about it before you said it. lx200 ..
Old 06-06-2008, 10:45 AM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

I am not trying to sound too corny or anything, but I read EVERY post from the 4.0L pioneers (Todd listed most of them).

I hope to one day not only have the funds to build up a fast Mustang, but to gain the knowledge they have gained while building up theirs.

Heck I am happy with a near 13 second NA 4.0L right now. haha
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Dear RYGEN if I my call you that

I did not know this was YOU. How cool is this. I found the story to be very good reading and I had no Idea someone on here has done what you have done WELL DONE +100 on your car I think it is a AWSOME Accomplishment. If I had the money I would do it too. I just loved reading about Your Car. Bravo Sir

Quick Reply: 10's in 1/4 mile by V6