Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who has installed a Zex window switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:02 PM
JimC

Default Who has installed a Zex window switch?

Has anyone installed a Zex window switch on their V6? I'm working on a Zex kit and trying to decide on the window switch - but I can't find any installation instructions and diagrams to figure determine if it is something easily done or if I need 'professional help' to do it right. If someone has the diagrams and instructions please PM me to give me some information on how it is connected and programmedI'd appreciate it.

I have a MSD switch but the installation is looking a little difficult to finish so thought I might try the Zex if it is easier - but I don't want to buy the Zex just to find out that the installation is about the same.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Who has installed a Zex window switch?

ORIGINAL: JimC

Has anyone installed a Zex window switch on their V6? I'm working on a Zex kit and trying to decide on the window switch - but I can't find any installation instructions and diagrams to figure determine if it is something easily done or if I need 'professional help' to do it right. If someone has the diagrams and instructions please PM me to give me some information on how it is connected and programmedI'd appreciate it.

I have a MSD switch but the installation is looking a little difficult to finish so thought I might try the Zex if it is easier - but I don't want to buy the Zex just to find out that the installation is about the same.

It is a similar install I'm, the Zex is a lacking details for specific applications as well. For the Zex you just tap into a negative wire (black) on one of the fuel injectors, then for the number of cylinders set it to 00. Once you set the window you are good to go.
It's is easy enough and I do have some pics of where I spliced in my install how to. Let me know if this helps a the MSD unit, I looked at the diagram briefly but it wasn't clear how to translate it based Zex wiring.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 AM
JimC

Thanks Jim - the MSD talks about using the "trigger wire" off the ECU and I'm having a tough time figuring out what that wire is. I wonder if I can use the negative from the injector like you did for the Zex switch - guess I'll ask the techs at MSD that specific question.

The MSD works by interrupting the ground on the NMU to turn it on and off - the white wire from the MSD connects to the ground of the Zex NMU. When the rpm is too low or too high it turns off the signal and the NMU won't work. So I figured out that part of the install, but not how to get the signal to the MSD.

I also still need to pick up my parts for your blow down tube. Hopefullyby July 20I can get things installed and tested for leaks. I have to call the dealer tomorrow though to check my transmission. It seems to be slipping on the 2-3 shift for some reason - so need to set the car back to stock and put the stock air box on so they can check it out properly.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Hey Jim,

You may wanna post another thread in the main S197 section, to get input from the GT guys who have installed it on thier car. I would think the install is similar. Hope your tranny issue is something minor.

Bill
Old 07-06-2008, 10:33 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I found a thread on a Nissan forum that a dude was having issues with his switch. The alternate method suggested was "now msd suggests tapping it into the IGNITION COIL TRIGGER wire."
So based on that suggestion from MSD I think you will be OK using the neg off an injector for the MSD as well. Also, MSD has a support pdf with all their wiring diagrams on it. The diagram on pg 85 looks shows the White wire needing MSD Tach or neg coil signal, so that would be the wire to attach to the black on the injector.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:23 PM
JimC

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.