Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Beating a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
jjjmm49
2nd Gear Member

Default Beating a dead horse

I know this has been done to death but I would like input from everyone with VMP tunes/ CIAand an auto trans. How muchdidperformance increase? Off the line can you spin your tire easier,at WOT can you get a chirp going into 2nd? How easy is it to set shift pressure and whats a safe range ? Mine has just been feeling so doggy lately that I need to do something to make it fun to drive again.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:13 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Beating a dead horse

ORIGINAL: jjjmm49

I know this has been done to death but I would like input from everyone with VMP tunes/ CIAand an auto trans. How muchdidperformance increase? Off the line can you spin your tire easier,at WOT can you get a chirp going into 2nd? How easy is it to set shift pressure and whats a safe range ? Mine has just been feeling so doggy lately that I need to do something to make it fun to drive again.

I've got a manual and am more than happy with the performance of all the tunes.
Since it looks like your right down there in VMP's back yard why not call them up and ask if you can stop over and check out a customers car with the same set up and tune? you never know maybe Justin would even offer to load up a tune on you car so you can run it around the block and see how you like it. Should be an easy way to make a sale IMO.
p.s. bring money:-)
Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
JimC

I just put my car back to stock (stock airbox and stock tune) so that the dealership service department can check the transmission. I took it for a short drive to put some gas in it and it is very different from my Alternative Auto tune. Throttle lag is back - hit it to merge onto the expressway and it seemed to take forever to react. Once underway it wasn't too bad, but there is a big difference - hard to tell on the shifts though because that was the problem this weekend, the 2-3 shift was off, so I don't know if it is "mushy" on each shift because of the stock tune or something wrong with the transmision - but not the firmer shift of my tune.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:44 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Withthe VMP tune and cai I think the performance increasewas substantial. Spinning the tires is much easier with this tune, enough so that Iinstalled an 8.8 takeoff rear w/3.55s & posi. It chirps going into 2nd and sometimes into 3rd too. You don't need to set shift pressure because Justin takes care of that in the tune.A tune will get rid of that dangerous lag in the transmission downshifts, firm up the shiftsand improve your throttle response. The tunewill put back that fun in driving your Mustang.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:38 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

i have a manual and i can chirp going into 2nd and 3rd...no tune...stock engine magnaflow exhaust....

but i want a cai and tune....tried an sct with steeda and my car threw a code....im still stock....thinking of the frpp cai and tuner now....opinnions on this if anyone has it would be appreciated.