Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune for a Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 PM
assalant777

Default Tune for a Manual?

Kinda newbie Q's

1) I barely know what a tuner is, i think its something like a mini computer that you plug into your car and it reprograms your car for performance, speed etc. correct me if i am wrong.

2) Is getting a tune for a manual worth it or is it not worth the price. ( i know a tune is good for an automatic though).

3) everyone talks about a CAI and a tune, is it ok to get the CAI without the tune or is it better to get both.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tune for a Manual?

ORIGINAL: assalant777

Kinda newbie Q's

1) I barely know what a tuner is, i think its something like a mini computer that you plug into your car and it reprograms your car for performance, speed etc. correct me if i am wrong.

2) Is getting a tune for a manual worth it or is it not worth the price. ( i know a tune is good for an automatic though).

3) everyone talks about a CAI and a tune, is it ok to get the CAI without the tune or is it better to get both.
1) Yes, you're correct.
2) Obviously none of the tuned paramaters will affect your transmission, but there is alot of power to be gained from a tune.
3) Not sure about on a V6, but it may depend on the intake. You'll get much more power from a tune alone than an intake.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 AM
assalant777

lol i got lots of questions.. my bad
1) Is it easy to do the tune, i dont need a mechanic or nothing. just push a button or 2?
2) so ill still get some power from a tune even if i have a manual?
3) which one would be best to buy first if i could only get one at a time?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

1) Yes, it's fairly simple to tune. In fact you can think of it as a plug and play situation. You plug your tuner into the OBDII port and follow the instructions on the screen of the tuner... and next thing you know you're car is tuned and ready to be started.
2)Yes, you can still get power. I have a manual and notice an immediate change in response and torque with the tunes I got.
3)Well, in theory, it would be better to buy the tuner first. It comes with "canned" or basic tunes that can be run on a stock car that will be a noticeable difference. However, when you buy a CAI (most of which require a seperate, custom tune), you will most likely have to go through a tuner (such as BAMAChips, VMP, or Brenspeed - all of which are awesome) and buy custom tunes. This could end up being more expensive in the long run. The only other way I could see you doing it is to buy a package deal from one of those tuners, or if you buy seperately, you'll most likely have to wait until you have both a tuner and a CAI (to make things less expensive).