Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Chin spoiler that matches black rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:11 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Chin spoiler that matches black rockers?

ORIGINAL: Charlie321

I like the 3D Carbon chin, but only if it's painted to match the rest of the car, which doesn't help if you want it to match the matte black rockers.

I was going to suggest the GT500 chin, but I really don't like it wrapped around the outside of the bumper like in that pic. It looks a little ghetto. Maybe a GT take-off with a GT500 chin?

Also, quick question for Victoria. I'm in Mission Viejo too, and am looking for a decent bumper repair place. I got hit by a large tire tread this morning and it cracked my lower bumper, and knocked out the plastic grills below the bumper. Do you know a good place?

Also, for anyone else, what's a good place to buy those grills that go in the lower bumper on a V6?
Hmm... to be quiet honest with you I'm not sure of many shops around here. I've been here for about a month and a half and haven't really looked into that. I know there's a Mustang performance shop in the area but I don't know if they do repairs. I'd imagine so. The only place I know of that you can get the inserts for the lower grill is directly through Ford. I know the parts department sells them for about $40. There's two types though... the honeycomb style one that comes on most V6's or the Pony Package style one that comes with the Pony Package. As far as I know they're the same price.

Sorry that happened to your car... there seems to sometimes be a lot of debris on these freeways. Much more than I ever saw back in San Antonio or other places in Texas for that matter.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the neighborhood. BTW, if that Mustang shop is the same one I know, it's a really great little place. It's over on Fabricante, and they have hydraulic lifts in back to do installs. So far, they specialize in classic 'stangs, but the owner tells me they'll soon be expanding into '05-'08s.

Thanks for the tip on the grills. I didn't realize the PP ones were different from stock v6s.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Charlie321

Welcome to the neighborhood. BTW, if that Mustang shop is the same one I know, it's a really great little place. It's over on Fabricante, and they have hydraulic lifts in back to do installs. So far, they specialize in classic 'stangs, but the owner tells me they'll soon be expanding into '05-'08s.

Thanks for the tip on the grills. I didn't realize the PP ones were different from stock v6s.
Thanks!

I believe the one I have in mind does the newer 'Stangs, too. My boyfriend says he's seen them working on S197s since they came out.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: So_Cali

ORIGINAL: machina

so_cali were you talking about me? haha

i have the 3d carbon front air dam which i feel matches the rockers amazingly. it actually comes white and i just primed and painted myself with bumper coating spray paint from Kragen/Autozone. looks just like the rockers!
Yes sir I was LOL my fave Red 6 on the forums! Anyhow yea so it comes inWhite? I dont need to paint it then? LOL Not sure if i want it color matching or flat black
I do like the look of that 3D Carbon item, even though it is a little less retro than the CDC one, in that the CDC is a bit of a slant from bottom edge to top edge, like the ones on the originals, which were pretty much blades that stuck out there at that exaggerated slant.

As for the "splitter" types, they look good but are too far off the ground to make the same kind of contribution as the ones on racing cars that inspired them. They look a little fragile, right out there in front like that.

Something to keep in mind: nearly no kind of street-useful spoiler or splitter will have much influence on performance, other than make for a little lower pressure in the area just behind them. That improves airflow through the lower grill, discourages a little airflow under the engine compartment, and creates a little drag. My unscientific calculator says it's a zero-sum for worthwhile real gains/losses, so they are like the V6 dual exhausts: don't worry about performance; aesthetics can determine your choices. If it looks good to you (and doesn't restrict your driveway capabilities too much), go ahead. Couldn't hurt, and you can't be wrong.