Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ninosport duals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 PM
ToanTo

Default RE: Ninosport duals?

I've had the kit on for a couple of months now. the install should've been a breeze...my main snags were getting the stock pipe off and getting the muffler to align right. but as for the kit itself, it slipped on real quickly and easily, aside from bs that i had to endure at midas, i did everything in my garage, laying on my back with the rear on ramps, if not for the muffler situation it would've been a 100% diy project. i've got them with gt takeoffs and i love the sound, although i'm planning on another set of mufflers for a louder sound. but anyway, from what i hear, this is one of the better set ups to use if you don't plan on going FI.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Steve McClean

I just installed mine yesterday. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that you have to tap the muffler support inserts on the driver's side for M8 X 1.25 threads. Not really that hard, but if you're not prepared for it, it could cause a snag. That and the fact that I couldn't get the car high enough to get the stock mid-pipe off without cutting it. I did it at work in the hangar and I was glad I had a die grinder with a cut off wheel. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I'm just saying "be prepared". I notice the driver's side is a little "off' compared to the passenger side. I'll take it to the local muffler shop to see if they can tweak it. But then, I AM a fussy bastid........
BUT
The stereo sound of the GT take-offs is WORTH IT. I don't want anything louder. I love the sound, I love the look. Bottom line: you won't be disappointed. Especially bang/$ wise! Do it![sm=happybounce.gif]
Old 07-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

wait what? i have to drill stuff? will a cordless drill be stong enough?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:46 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, we need some input about this tapping the holes thing. I was told that you could use the extra 2 bolts from the passenger side muffler. When you switch from the stock muffler to a GT takeoff, the GT takeoff has one less hanger bracket. The stocker has 3 hangers and the takeoff has 2. I know it sounds weird but its true, I've done it myself. You save the extra 2 bolts from the stock hanger. I was told that these were "self tapping" bolts. Ford uses "self tapping bolts" so they don't have to tap a million holes. They just use an air gun and spin them home. Take these "STB" to the hardware store and get 2 more just like them. If you can't find "STB" just get regular bolts and use the"STB" to run the holes and make threads. You run a "STB" in and out of the hole then you can put a regular bolt in it. You will have to do this twice because you will probably end up with 2 "STB" and 2 regular bolts for a 4 hole job. We could use some info on this as there are about 4 of on this thread alone who are going to be putting this kit on soon. Thanks!!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:40 PM
05windviel
2nd Gear Member

i didn't have to tap any holes in mine. Both me and my dad have used this kit on ours. the first one took like 2 hours and the second one liek 1.5 because we knew what we were doing. the easiest way is not to tighten everything untill you know you have it sitting where you want it.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Steve McClean

Oh well
maybe I went to more trouble than I had to. But the bolts that come with the kit are definetly not self-tapping. At least, the ones I got weren't. And the holes or insertsas I referred to them, for the support bracketson the driver's side are not threaded. So I took a M8 X 1.25 tap and tapped 'em. Not a big deal to me. Just time consuming. I suppose you could "drive" them in with an air gun. Not my style.......I'm an aircraft mechanic and we don't FORCE anything in.......lol. My kit didn't come with any instructions either. Just a template for the cut out left and right. Didn't someone post a step-by-step instruction somewhere here?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

so can i not do this job with just a socket and rachet? i dont have air tools either.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Kapo

I have the ninosport dual setup with the manual gt takeoffs and it is great. I had the same problem with the stock midpipe being too long and having to cut it (i did it with the rear up on jackstands, and was not prepared for that!) This was an easy kit to install, however I would recomend picking up some heavier duty clamps to hold the midpipes together. My seams were leaking with the clamps that came from ninosport. I also agree that the driver side outlet will need to be played with to look right from the back (centered in the hole and lengthwise). Enjoy the install, i did and it was my first dabble at becoming a modern mustang mechanic master! C & L CAI and Bama Tuned Diabloin the mail!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
cobrabobby
2nd Gear Member

Any hardware store worth a carries taps. Bought a 8M x 1.25
tap for $4 and change. Use a lubricant, NO not KY jelly, more like
light 3&1 oil to make the tap cuts. Use a tap wrench or an open end
but make sure the tap is square to the hole insert. Turn it and hold
it square to the hole at the same time cut one turn, back out so the
chips can fall out cut another turn, back out, repeat until the hole is
completely tapped. Easier done than said but you can snap a tap if
you force it sideways or by not keeping the tap perpendicular or square
to the hole. Keep it wet with oil or tapping lubricant.
Or, then again, use a self tapping bolt.
Hope this helps,
Bob
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

You tap the drivers side with an old bolt you took out of the passenger side .I also have this kit and it installed smoothly .You do not need air tools

Quick Reply: Ninosport duals?