Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

torque?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

Default torque?

besides a tuner nd intake... what mod will get you some nice torque .... and not supercharger .
Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: torque?

cams / headers
Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

what kind of numbers you getting for that? and how much is install and stuff
Old 07-28-2008, 04:06 PM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

Headers, Duals, Mufflers.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:27 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Do a rear gear upgrade to 3.73's or 4.10's. That will multiply your existing torque with out touching the motor.
You may actually loose a little torque with dual exhaust on a stock set up.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jimkaray

yup, but only if its still running on the stock tune. custom tune should even things out on the low end. i can feel the difference.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

yup, but only if its still running on the stock tune. custom tune should even things out on the low end. i can feel the difference.
Sure but let me ask you this since you have well rounded set of mods. Taking money out the equation if you were only allowed one and only one mod to improve performance which would you choose?
a) rear gears
b) dual exhaust with headers, x or h pipe

Would your decision be any different if you already had a custom tune/CAI and could only add a second mod?
Question 2: which car would you rather race the one with gears or exhaust?

I say gears win both times if improving torque (i.e. seat of the pants performance) is the primary goal.
Step 2 is nitrous
Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Sure but let me ask you this since you have well rounded set of mods. Taking money out the equation if you were only allowed one and only one mod to improve performance which would you choose?
a) rear gears
b) dual exhaust with headers, x or h pipe

Would your decision be any different if you already had a custom tune/CAI and could only add a second mod?
Question 2: which car would you rather race the one with gears or exhaust?

I say gears win both times if improving torque (i.e. seat of the pants performance) is the primary goal.
Step 2 is nitrous
well those are real good questions with not so simple answers in my view.

question 1 i would say exhaust. question 2 i would say gears. the fact is that most drive the streets more than the track. sound plays such a huge role in our perception of performance that even a small noticeable gain with big sound will feel great. quickness from gears is no doubt uncomparable but you'll still hit a very restricted powerband no matter how fast you get to it. as i have become more experienced with modding, i have realized that the experience from one mod to the next differs greatly depending on what other mods you already have. i'm confident my gear setup only feels so great because of the hard pulling powerband which is a compliment to the combination of exhaust/CAI/tune.

in case ur wondering, my mod timeline went like this: dual exhaust then AEM cai then diablo tune then custom tunes then upgraded air filter then C&L cai with custom tunes then gears+t-lok. headers are next followed by DS.

oh yeah, an X is my big target once the stang is paid off which should add some monster torq [8D].
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Do a rear gear upgrade to 3.73's or 4.10's. That will multiply your existing torque with out touching the motor.
no they dont add torque or hp technically but it sure as hell will feel like it does.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805
well those are real good questions with not so simple answers in my view.

question 1 i would say exhaust. question 2 i would say gears. the fact is that most drive the streets more than the track. sound plays such a huge role in our perception of performance that even a small noticeable gain with big sound will feel great. quickness from gears is no doubt uncomparable but you'll still hit a very restricted powerband no matter how fast you get to it. as i have become more experienced with modding, i have realized that the experience from one mod to the next differs greatly depending on what other mods you already have. i'm confident my gear setup only feels so great because of the hard pulling powerband which is a compliment to the combination of exhaust/CAI/tune.

in case ur wondering, my mod timeline went like this: dual exhaust then AEM cai then diablo tune then custom tunes then upgraded air filter then C&L cai with custom tunes then gears+t-lok. headers are next followed by DS.

oh yeah, an X is my big target once the stang is paid off which should add some monster torq [8D].

The op tried to pose the question simply I think, but it isn't always so simple when the mod ball gets rolling.
I think he's gotten a few angles now to think over.
The X will be great, hopefully the price will come down some.

Quick Reply: torque?