Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is my 06 V6 Coupe is overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 PM
NS4U

Default Is my 06 V6 Coupe is overheating?

Last week i got back from a 100+ mile drive with my Mustang... and when i got home, anti-freezing started bubbling out of my reserve tank like crazy (probably about half of the tank bubbled over).... I brought it to my mechanic he said my water pump was leaking... and an air pocket probably got into the line and messed with the pressure causing everything to bubble over

long story short... the pump is still under warranty... and the mechanic said it was ok to drive for a few days until we got it into the dealership .. during this time I would only take it on short trips.. but when I would pop the hood to check on things, the engine bay would be EXTREMELY hot... even to the point the floorboard was warm... although coolant wasn't bubbling over anymore and my thermostat said the temp was normal..

so I had the pump replaced today... hoping everything was ok... i popped the hood when i got home... and sure enough coolant started leaking out of the reserve tank again (but not as severe as before)... and now the engine was making this weird bubbling noise (not from the anti-freeze), and the engine bay was very hot again... this was the result of a 10 mile drive from the dealership to my house

So to troubleshoot some stuff, I turned on the car... and noticed the fan still wasn't kicking on... rev'd the engine to 3k for about 30 seconds and the fan still wouldn't kick on... HOWEVER then i turned on the air inside the car (it was off during all of this)... and the fan kicked on 5 to 10 seconds later

I tested this 3 or 4 more times and found the fan would only kick on if the vent or a/c in the car was turned on...

Does this make sense to anyone? I never really paid attention to when the fan would kick on or off... or even how how hot it was under the hood after a long drive... but something just doesn't seem right about this

Unfortunately I'm not really a gear head... so I'm hoping you guys could give me some insight on if this normal or if something is wrong

Thanks... sorry for the long post
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
JimC

Default RE: Is my 06 V6 Coupe is overheating?

I had the same thing happen to my car two weeks ago. Engine was running fine, all the gauges read in normal range - then the coolant started blowing out of the reservoir. I doubt it is your water pump or fan - I think it is more likely the same as mine. Blown head gasket(s). If your gauges read in normal range that is what I would have them check.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

Hmm.....uhh oh.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

EEK! NS4U, what year is your stang, and how many miles?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Could the problem be the relay that turns the fan on when the engine gets hot? I know that the fan always runs when the A/C is turned on. I never drive mine without the A/C being on unless it is cold outside.

How does your car run with the 3.73 and the aluminum driveshaft? I was thinking of doing the same thing. Can you really feel the difference?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

headgaskets are pricey if I remember correctly.. hope things work out alright man
Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: DylanFan

Could the problem be the relay that turns the fan on when the engine gets hot? I know that the fan always runs when the A/C is turned on. I never drive mine without the A/C being on unless it is cold outside.

How does your car run with the 3.73 and the aluminum driveshaft? I was thinking of doing the same thing. Can you really feel the difference?

Thanks
The symptoms sound like mine - and it was definitely the head gaskets; not the cap or the fan and the car never showed any overheat condition on any gauge. The warranty covered the head gaskets, but not the broken rear end since I had replaced everything with supposedly unbreakable Richmond gears yet still managed to bend the pinion.

The aluminum driveshaft was probably the best upgrade I did. The car feels "lighter' anddefinitely accelerates quicker. The 3.73 and Tlok were a good upgrade, but the first time around I should have just upgraded to a an8.8 with 3.73 or 3.55 - and if I had known how much the rebuild was going to costthis time I would have done it but Ithought replacing the gears would be both quicker and cheaper. This winter I will have a built 7.5" rear end with Tlok, 3.73 US Gear, and LPW low profile girdle up for sale when I put a 8.8 in (adding nitrous and I know that I will have more torque anddon't want to break another rear end).
Old 07-31-2008, 07:48 AM
NS4U

well it tur ned out that according to the dealership the the cooling fan wasbroken on the car, so I had them replace it. I also had them check all of the sensors and none of them were throwing any codes.

When I got home, I popped the hood, tested the fan and it kicked on. So that was good,but the engine bay still seemed a bit hot.

My question is, becuase the mustang use an electric fan does that cause the car to run hotter than one which the has the fan running off the belt? soa hotted engine bay should be expected in the mustang? what kind of a temp should I expect under the hoodof my mustang?

I am comparing the mustang to my 05 ranger and when i check under the hood of the ranger, it seems to be cooler than the mustang. Even though I had taken the ranger for a much longer drive than the mustang.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NS4U

well it tur ned out that according to the dealership the the cooling fan wasbroken on the car, so I had them replace it. I also had them check all of the sensors and none of them were throwing any codes.

When I got home, I popped the hood, tested the fan and it kicked on. So that was good,but the engine bay still seemed a bit hot.

My question is, becuase the mustang use an electric fan does that cause the car to run hotter than one which the has the fan running off the belt? soa hotted engine bay should be expected in the mustang? what kind of a temp should I expect under the hoodof my mustang?

I am comparing the mustang to my 05 ranger and when i check under the hood of the ranger, it seems to be cooler than the mustang. Even though I had taken the ranger for a much longer drive than the mustang.

Glad it was just a minor issue for you. Its going to be hot under there so my guess is your just being a little over sensitive to it right after having a problem. The low fan doesn't come on until 220* degrees I believe. That is just the water temp, the exhaust manifolds are up around 800*. Bottom line trust your gauges unless you have a good reason to doubt them - such as it runs like crap and is pinging as soon as you step on the gas.