Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ram air

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 AM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ram air

If I got the B2 kit I would also get a tune so it would it be better than a CAI?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you cant tune for ram air really. With a CAI usually the MAF size is different than stock allowing for more airflow. This is where the tuning comes in, it is needed to accomadate for the added airflow. Ram air would still be limited by stock MAF size and still not see that much of an increase. Unless the ram air is "completely" sealed and "forcing" air into the tb its not doing much really. I think the B2 just gets air to the intake basically and is not really forcing it through the intake and TB. It will be a little cooler air which might help a little.

Bottom line, CAI/tune should be better for gains than ram air or ram air with a tune. get a CAI/TUNE. There are plenty of other power adders out there that will give you gains for sure.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:11 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

Alright, I checked out the "B2" kit. It looks to me like it dumps out air in the location of the stock airbox. If you put in a CAI, it would dump outside air right onto the top of the CAI. This actually makes some sense. However, I don't think it would make much of a power gain. I admit, It is a pretty cool setup but, I'd have to have a lot of cash just laying around to go this direction. I would also have to have just about every other power mod available before I did this. That being said........it is pretty cool.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:15 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: emconn

Not a shaker? Its fully functional so I dont know why u would say somethin stupid like that. I definitely noticed more top end. The problem is ur enginecan only take in so much air. That is the reason for asupercharger which condenses the airallowing more air topass though.The more cold dense air the better. Same for nitrous, instant cold dense air.Id rather have it than a cold air intake. If ram air is just appereance that why do the professionals use it.This whole subject was really annoying. How do you not know what he means by ram air. This is the reason why I hardly ever go on here. Always the same questions and about 90% of the people on here dont have a clue what there talkin about. One guy can say somethin that is totally wrong and the the rest of you guys believe it and take off with it like a bunch of puppets.
I think this guy should tell us how he really feels

A good example of the dreaded "cyberhater"
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

I agree with the guy. Mines a snorkeltube settup with a pick up resembling the large wide attachmentof a vacuum cleaner head and it's situated under the car on the right side of the front end below everything in the clearest path of oncoming air. And I'm with some of the others, ram air hoods went out with powdered wigs, I can feel mine working and that's why I spent my money (and not much at that)not the opinions of people comparing it to cuttout non-functional (think '03 GT or the Mach's shaker) hoods. Authentic ram air hoods were functional but cuttout ones to dissapate heat do little virtually nothing IMO...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: howarmat

you cant tune for ram air really. With a CAI usually the MAF size is different than stock allowing for more airflow. This is where the tuning comes in, it is needed to accomadate for the added airflow. Ram air would still be limited by stock MAF size and still not see that much of an increase. Unless the ram air is "completely" sealed and "forcing" air into the tb its not doing much really. I think the B2 just gets air to the intake basically and is not really forcing it through the intake and TB. It will be a little cooler air which might help a little.

Bottom line, CAI/tune should be better for gains than ram air or ram air with a tune. get a CAI/TUNE. There are plenty of other power adders out there that will give you gains for sure.
That is the only reason I pull out my driver's side headlight at the track. It's not really ram air, but it does bring in cooler outside air to my cold air intake (kind of a misnomer if you ask me). Frankly, it is a hassle to remove the headlight, but I like trying different things to lower my ET, and it didn't cost me a penny.

There IS a true ram air CAI for the 4.0L. It is the WMS intake (Google it). Bugstang has one on his beautiful ride, and the concept is good (air directed under the hood through the grill opening directly at the filter element).
Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree. The WMS is the closet and best "ram air" type intake out there. With its tray and the correct hood it would probably show the best gains out of adding a shaker or anything else out there.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: emconn

Not a shaker? Its fully functional so I dont know why u would say somethin stupid like that.
I dont know why u would say somethin stupid like that.

That's why I don't come on here much. Every time someone needs to feed his fragile ego, he looks around, finds a minor difference of understanding, goes all ad hominem on us and starts putting people down for no good reason. As if it helps sort out the communications problems.

Ram air is a useful function in the proper configuration and circumstances. It's also something you can look up on the REAL internet, and you won't even have to listen to the mewlings of a bunch of Mustang doofusses on a free-access forum.

The guy asked a question. Someone gave a slightly crossed-up answer, someone else tried to correct him, and Mr emconn in all his astute dignity and pomposity said something stupid about saying something stupid. Nice behavior. Not.

Try treating the question as a common problem, not a bone to growl and scuffle over.

EDIT: I asked a while back if anyone knew an easy way to move the stock grill out to the front edge of the hood. I asked because I think that edge of the hood interrupts the flow of air over the front of the car. Air tends to pile up there and creates drag. If you could either remove the ledge or bleed off the pressure it generates there, you'd get an increment in speed because of less air resistance (which increases by the cube of speed from about 50 mph up). Seems to me bleeding off that pressure into a conduit to the engine air intake would result in an actual RAM air effect, as well as allowing true cool air to enter the intake tract without passing through the radiator or past other hot enging components. Sounds as if the WMS thingy would accomplish that, eh? (It's from Canada)

Very cheerfully,

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Bails
2nd Gear Member

What about the ram air kits that Cervini's offers with each of the ram air hoods? If you get the kit with the hood would that help or would it still be better to just go with a CAI?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

yes, cervini's COMPLETE ram air systems would show some increase in performance. But, any ram air system is not designed to increase performance across the power band or even at all speeds, but at higher speeds or instances of high acceleration. As speed increases, outside air becomes less available as it moves much faster past the intake. ram air takes that faster, cooler air and directs it to the intake, thereby improving performance at higher speeds. Your not really forcing any more air into the engine, but allowing the engine to have access to more air.

so to answer your question, yes, ram air does increase performance. but, it's only during high acceleration or high speed and it's not a major gain. depending on the cost of the system, it may be too much money for the minor performance gains. there's also the appearance aspect. so, really, there's some minor performance gains and potential appearance improvement weighed against a potentially expensive mod. your choice.

also, if some idiot posts some insulting diatribe designed to display his brilliance, why does everyone post something insulting back, thereby giving the idiot exactly what he wants: attention?

Quick Reply: ram air