Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Not getting very good MPG in v6.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default Not getting very good MPG in v6.

Hey, I have a v6 Mustang in my garage (don't own it but I do most of the drving so I'm familiar with the car) and I've got a problem with it, I'm getting about 2-3mpg less than the observed MPG from 3 sources that I've found.

I drive it very conservatively as I keep a modded Saleen GT for playing around and can't seem to get anywhere near a reasonable improvement over my GT in terms of MPG. Part of the reason I drive it is not to put miles on my Saleen clone as I drive over 20 miles to and from work each day, so it's not an end all, but it's a big issue I think.. All it has is a CAI and tune. Are there any mechanical issues that could be checked to fix this problem? The car has consistently from day 1 gotten worse MPG than all the other v6s I've rented or test driven (which has been at least a half dozen). I don't believe that I got bottom barel in terms of luck with the deviation of the engine from what everyone else gets so I'm trying to figure out any mechanical issues that might be hurting the car. What could be causing this low MPG? Specifically I get about 17.9 (with the cai).

Last edited by Legion5; 08-14-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:16 AM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

17.6? Consider yourself lucky. I get 12-13 mpg and i dont even drive wot
Old 08-15-2008, 12:21 AM
map92389
1st Gear Member

Probably should have bought a Hyundai if you wanted fuel efficiency, but I wouldn't want to see this happen to you
Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 AM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

^ Thats rediculous. I am WOT everywhere and I only drive conservatively when its a few days before a paycheck and I have to make money stretch....Even then my best is 22.5 mpg's stock. I average between 19.5 and 21.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

I thought I had the same problem until people told me that it's due to your driving and where it takes place. I drive alot in the city so I average the same. 12-13.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 AM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Something is obviously wrong. I'm getting 27mpg (not much city) and I do like to get on it now and again haha. Only thing I've done to the car is a GT take off muffler which added about 1-2mpg. And no I don't go off the on board computers mpg rating otherwise I'd be getting 28+. I'd get the car looked at b/c I've never gotten that bad of mileage even on "fun" days.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:48 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
Hey, I have a v6 Mustang in my garage (don't own it but I do most of the drving so I'm familiar with the car) and I've got a problem with it, I'm getting about 2-3mpg less than the observed MPG from 3 sources that I've found.
I drive it very conservatively as I keep a modded Saleen GT for playing around and can't seem to get anywhere near a reasonable improvement over my GT in terms of MPG. Part of the reason I drive it is not to put miles on my Saleen clone as I drive over 20 miles to and from work each day, so it's not an end all, but it's a big issue I think.. All it has is a CAI and tune. Are there any mechanical issues that could be checked to fix this problem? The car has consistently from day 1 gotten worse MPG than all the other v6s I've rented or test driven (which has been at least a half dozen). I don't believe that I got bottom barel in terms of luck with the deviation of the engine from what everyone else gets so I'm trying to figure out any mechanical issues that might be hurting the car. What could be causing this low MPG? Specifically I get about 17.9 (with the cai).
A bit OT but I'm confused with this comment... a week ago you stated in a post the Saleen Clone was not your car.
Not my car, I'm just trying to help with a sale, the hood is not for sale, but that's good to hear that I have buyers for the carbon parts.
If anyone is interested in the car itself it's a "Red Fire" GT Saleen Clone, with very low mielage and many many aftermarket goodies.
Now in this post the V6 is not your car ?????? Do you own a mustang?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

I get 22-23 mpg in mine. All I have is a K&N and Bassani exhaust.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Check the tires...they are good for 2 or 3 mpg alone. The rest is all driving habits.

I average 26 on about every tank now...when I fill the tank my distance to empty reads 390 to 410 depending on the previous tank. Generally it is spot on.

My 20 mile daily commute (each way) is about 10 miles of 65ish highway and the rest are a combo of suburban and city roads. So, the car sees about 60/40 highway/city.

I do know that my wife drove it one week and her commute is almost all city driving (as in downtown city). The mpg plummeted to around 20 and she barely got 300 miles on the tank.

So, to be honest, 18 is not that terrible.

Drive it like you have no brakes (if you owned a car without brakes, you get good at this). Pick your actions 1/4 mile in advance and smooth, smooth, smooth. Driver style can add/subtract 25% of mileage figures...so your technique may be all that is at fault.

BTW, you said it has a tune? Load a mileage tune. I know Bama has one.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Tire pressure as mentioned above is a big one. Is it possible an old fuel filter or pump can contribute to this problem? Also, I have a feeling that a lot of people who get 28 mpg are driving at or below the speed limit. My car never goes 65 on freeway unless I'm behind someone going that slow and can't pass 'em. Most of us probably average 75-80 mph which will reduce your mpg. Even before my X-charger my car only averaged about 24 mpg freeway driving. Now with the sc, gears and bigger wheels I'm happy to average just under 20, driving like I stole it. Anyone that says they average 25+ mpg in their car and says they "get on it" every now and then doesn't. Can we stop bragging about gas mileage, this is a Mustang forum not a prius forum.

Quick Reply: Not getting very good MPG in v6.