Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Boosted 6 Pilots...Please Comment

Old 08-15-2008, 09:41 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Default Boosted 6 Pilots...Please Comment

Alright...so I leave for Iraq in four days. My deployment present to myself is going to be FI (when I return).

So... I have watched this about 100x:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeHot...eature=related

For boosted 6 owners...a simple question. Would you do it all again?

I am a bit concerned about long term reliability as this car will be my dd for many years to come. But this seems to be a solid product.

So what say you? Yes or no? Can you expect 80-100k miles of use on the Xcharger?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

I've had my X on for about 15k miles now and had no problems what-so-ever. Very dependable product and highly recommended by myself and many others.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

NO I if I could go back I wouln't do it again ever. I had way too many problems and stuff to worry about. I wish I would have just kept it NA and spent the money on the vette in the first place.

I will probably never put any FI on a car unless its from the factory or I move back home where my dad can work on it for free

O I had a Vortech just so you know. the X is probably more reliable but you won't get as much power out of it.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

is it really worth it with the X charger when most people who have it that I've met are still only getting 280 hp or so......?

in that case one might have just spent that money for a GT....
Old 08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

I agree to the fullest!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

It seems like it would be worth it. Go with the x-charger, instant torque FTW!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the comments guys...keep emm coming.

Ideally, what I would like to do is keep my 08 as my "classy" and economical daily driver and leave it pretty much stock. Then pick up a 99-01 GT on the cheap and use it as my weekend/track/play car.

The problem is, we only have garage space for three and my dirtbikes and paraphernalia take up one, the dd's take up the the two...and I don't think she wants a driveway car.

I have seen some older GTs that are very clean sell for crazy cheap...not much more than the FI itself...so that could work too.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Mamba GTT
NO I if I could go back I wouln't do it again ever. I had way too many problems and stuff to worry about. I wish I would have just kept it NA and spent the money on the vette in the first place.

I will probably never put any FI on a car unless its from the factory or I move back home where my dad can work on it for free

O I had a Vortech just so you know. the X is probably more reliable but you won't get as much power out of it.

I hate to bust your chevy lovin bubble but the Vortechs create less horsepower at the same rpms, also they are not as reliable as any kind of roots style supercharger. If you do it right you should have not problems. As for anybody with and Xcharger you can ask them, they have had no trouble out of them. This system is the way to go FI, for reliablity and all around looks plus it gives much more low end troque compared to a centrfical
Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Sorry I was talking peak power and I did just have a 05 v6 supercharged mustang with the vortech and I am just saying I had problems as with other people. So you are saying at 5000 rpm the vortech makes less power than the X? Alrighty then!!

You are talking like I have never owned a supercharged mustang..........cause you have one right?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I've had my "X" on for coming up on 20K mi, including road trips halfway across the US and back. NO trouble at all.

The car is a heck of a lot of fun, and I would do it again in a split sec. I wouldn't trade for a GT (I think my license plate amply demonstrates I'm happy keeping the "X" a while).

The X-Charged 4.0 is comparabe performance-wise, all things being equal handles better (more favorable F/R weight distribution) and looks better under the hood. The less cramped engine compartment with that cool looking blower is a winner. I've done 3 car shows this year, and got a trophy at each and 2 of those were Best of Show. These were shows with GT's, Roush's etc entered. A lot of that is due to the sexiness of the "X")

As for mentions of "trouble" with superchargers, there are reasons why the major car companies (Ford, GM, Mercedes, etc) all install Eaton type blowers (like the "X" uses) on factory supercharged cars and not centrifugals like Vortech, etc. Reasons like reliability, long service life, torque increases in an RPM range more useful on the street and low noise levels at part throttle.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 08-15-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boosted 6 Pilots...Please Comment