Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech vs.Procharger vs.XCharger?

Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

^Listen to Dwis, he knows what he is talking about. The 4.6 can't take as much boost as the 4.0 because of the factory forged rods in the 4.0. That's what makes boosting a 4.0 so appealing, no need to upgrade internals with decent amounts of boost. An X-Charger hi-po with 2.8 runs 10 psi all day, very reliably. many vortech guys are running 12 psi or so no sweat. You run that kinda boost on the 4.6 and it won't last you like the 4.0 will. However, the 4.6 doesn't take as much boost to make more power (obviously)
Old 09-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

^^ thanks bud lol.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

I dunno but what I have learned in my exsperience in modding my 4.0 and spending a ton of money and then selling and everything else. The smartest thing to do if modding a car is at least mod the best model for the car if you want the most out of what you are trying to accomplish.

I know some people can't do this but I wish I would have. I am just trying to tell you what I have learned from modding the 4.0. Yeah it was fun but worth the money, time, and headaches.....not so much. IMO!!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Mamba GTT
I dunno but what I have learned in my exsperience in modding my 4.0 and spending a ton of money and then selling and everything else. The smartest thing to do if modding a car is at least mod the best model for the car if you want the most out of what you are trying to accomplish.

I know some people can't do this but I wish I would have. I am just trying to tell you what I have learned from modding the 4.0. Yeah it was fun but worth the money, time, and headaches.....not so much. IMO!!
Off-topic, your sig says you get 25rwhp from lt headers on a vette, that sounds low to me. What engine does your C6 have and are lt gains really that low for the vette?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

I would guess I think it is from 25-35rwhp when tuned. I have the 6L LS2 engine. I think 25rwhp is pretty good don't you? When I had headers on the 4.0 I only got like 9-12rwhp.....if that. Not sure cause I had some other mods at the time.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

I would guess I think it is from 25-35rwhp when tuned. I have the 6L LS2 engine. I think 25rwhp is pretty good don't you? When I had headers on the 4.0 I only got like 9-12rwhp.....if that. Not sure cause I had some other mods at the time.
Yeah, if literally just the lt headers than maybe 25whp sounds right, but remember with the lt's you need a shorty mid-pipe with hi-flow cats or no cats and both those together I guessed would have netted you more than 25rwhp on the vette, especially with the LS2 under the hood. Closer to 35-40rwhp with the combo yes?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Yeah probably with the x pipe and cats all together and tuned. But I already have the xpipe and borla catback installed so I'm not sure exactly how much the system will give me. I would have dynod it to see where I am starting but everything for a vette costs a buttload!!! The headers with cats and xpipe are around 1800!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

if i remember correctly ( been along time since i posted on this forum) you had the black 4.0 with the tall wing and didnt you have ALOT of body work done. if so, thats where half the mod money went. that stuff aint cheap. especially when you have to get it painted.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

True that body stuff is expensive exspecially when stuff goes wrong or just doesn't fit right and you have to do it more than once. I would have been more satisfied if I was modding a GT instead......in the long run.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

True that body stuff is expensive exspecially when stuff goes wrong or just doesn't fit right and you have to do it more than once. I would have been more satisfied if I was modding a GT instead......in the long run.
Yep, you gotta remember something. Although an x-charged w/some supporting mods a good driver V6 stang can take a GT, a GT can take an X-charged V6 with goodies by only having a cai/tune and good driver. Vortech/Paxton/Procharger supercharger w/intercoolers are another story though. They seem to be able to fight and run with lightly modded GT's pretty well. But remember full-bolt on or F/I gt's can take them all day long. Think about your goals and go from there on that decision.

But from a reliability stand point. Bolt-on GT>any f/i V6.