Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Finally part of the brotherhood!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks again guys! I just wanted to go over something. In my sig are the parts I ordered. Did I miss any good bang for buck mpg helping/increasing mods that aren't expensive? Like I didn't order a lightweight k-member because $500 + probably install isn't enough pay off for a drop of 20-30lbs from the car.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 AM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

3.73 / 4.10 gears to go with the T-lok?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Potato
3.73 / 4.10 gears to go with the T-lok?
No thanks. I don't want to mess with my highway mpg right now. I know what gears do and help with acceleration greatly, but I don't want to do anything negative to mpg right now. Good suggestion if I was looking for all out performance though.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
No thanks. I don't want to mess with my highway mpg right now. I know what gears do and help with acceleration greatly, but I don't want to do anything negative to mpg right now. Good suggestion if I was looking for all out performance though.
While they do hurt your overall highway mileage, I actually gained mpg's in town by upgrading tio 3.73's. I drive freeway to work 50 miles a day, and it ranges between 20 - 70 mph and I gained about 3 mpg.

But pure highway mileage will go down, but it is totally worth it
Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Also, you save a lot of money if you install the t-lok and gears at the same time, since they have to open the rear axle and put it in.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Also, you save a lot of money if you install the t-lok and gears at the same time, since they have to open the rear axle and put it in.

Very good insight. Hmmm, I wouldn't want to go 4.10's for the obvious big loss in mpg on the highway but I am not sure 3.73's would be worth it. I like the idea of increased city mpg and some performance but I don't know if the highway loss is worth it. I do 75%city/25%highway. Are 3.73's worth it then for me? I've heard mixed reviews on this. Some input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Your stang looks beautiful! is that leather i see? The interior looks exactley like mine, Black and chrome accents on tan leather!

+1 on rocker stripe delete! and also id move the 4.0 badge up a bit, it looks a little low.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:23 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
Very good insight. Hmmm, I wouldn't want to go 4.10's for the obvious big loss in mpg on the highway but I am not sure 3.73's would be worth it. I like the idea of increased city mpg and some performance but I don't know if the highway loss is worth it. I do 75%city/25%highway. Are 3.73's worth it then for me? I've heard mixed reviews on this. Some input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Can't help you there, I don't have gears yet.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
Your stang looks beautiful! is that leather i see? The interior looks exactley like mine, Black and chrome accents on tan leather!

+1 on rocker stripe delete! and also id move the 4.0 badge up a bit, it looks a little low.
Thanks. No it's tan cloth.

Not sure I could move the 4.0 badge up since I am not sure I could put it back on once removed. I like it though. 4.0 has a good ring to it.

And I did the rocker stripe delete today. Very simple, my advice is just to take your time peeling.

Can't help you there, I don't have gears yet.

That's cool, I'll search rpm's and 1/4 gains.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:33 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang Joe go for the mods

Hi Joe, I haven't posted for a while but your lead thread got me motivated. Your list of mods is commendable. I've got several of what you've listed and the quality and function of these parts have proven well worth the money spent. For example, the Shaftmaster aluminum driveshaft is fabulous, and the Ford t-lok has held up very well. I had 4.10 gears installed with it, and this has proven to be one of the most fun installs I did. Doesn't sound like you have any budget problems, so here's a list of what you might want to consider to really get your stang goin'. C&L cold air intake, SCT tune, 3.73 or 4.10 gears, t-lok, aluminum driveshaft, lowering springs, 18 X 9.5 wheels, 275/40-18 tires. You can expect to pay in the neighborhood of $3 grand for the pars + installation. But you've already got or are planning on getting some of the things I've listed. I just put the wheels and tires on my car and what a difference. Should have done this first off when I started modding a couple of years ago. Have fun with your new car. Jack
Attached Thumbnails Finally part of the brotherhood!-119_1954.jpg   Finally part of the brotherhood!-119_1955.jpg  

Quick Reply: Finally part of the brotherhood!