Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Duals + 3.73 Gears + C&L Intake + 93 Evo Tune = Happy Mustang Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP Duals + 3.73 Gears + C&L Intake + 93 Evo Tune = Happy Mustang Owner

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since my last post here, and I figured that I would give back to the mustangforums community by posting a review of the performance mods done to my car, in addition to links of a video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLprpH-iPkU) of my car as well as a post-mod installation dyno sheet (http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...noSheet001.jpg). Feel free to ask any questions after reading, I'm here to help as a lot of others were for me when I was being a pain in the *** and asking questions :-)

Before I go into what was installed in my car, I'd like to review the shop that installed it first. I went through Ford Racing Parts' web page http://www.fordracingparts.com/where...stributors.asp and located Joe Heck Racing. I live in Staten Island, NY, and his shop is within reasonable driving distance (about 45 minutes). I met with Joe Amato, the owner and main man for handling parts and installations. Joe was very knowledgeable and courteous, and after explaining what I wanted done, we set up an appointment about a month away from when I first visited him.

Ok, now for the good stuff. Here are my current mods and the prices for purchase:

-- C&L CAI/Tuner package from Evolution Performance - $575
-- FRPP 3.73 Gears (NOT MOTIVE)* - $269
-- Ford T-Lok LSD - $200
-- Bearings - $50
-- Fluid - $20
-- Friction Modifier - $5
-- FRPP V6 Dual Exhaust - $575
-- Labor for installation of everything - $900
-- TOTAL PRICE - $2,594.00

* A note about the gears: Joe told me that he would not even install Motives on a Stang because of the well-known whine issue that is present after most installations. He said this is because of poor craftsmanship on Motive's part thus requiring the gears to be shimmed a lot before installation.

I chose not to mod anything myself because I'm a mechanical novice and, quite frankly, I don't trust myself and didn't want to make this whole process a headache instead of what it's supposed to be - a wonderful event.

Joe's shop's installation was perfect and I've had no problems with the car at all (knock on wood) since then. I had 19K miles on the date of the install and am now cruising comfortably with 24K. Joe even emailed me a few days after I picked the car up to see how everything was going, and I was happy to say that everything was great.

As for performance pre-install and post-install, the difference is as close to night and day as you are going to get without putting a supercharger in the sixer. The car just feels "right" now - it feels like it moves freer, if that makes any sense. The throttle lag is nearly eliminated (it's a fraction of a second now as compared to the stock condition), the car sounds fantastic with the FRPP duals, and the gears combined with the tune and air filter give the car a lot of high end power, which makes passing people on the highway a breeze :-).

All in all, judging from this past experience, if I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't change anything.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Congratualtions on the new mods, glad to hear you like them a lot. Great mod list. You increased your performance a crap load with that set of mods. Have fun with the "New" car lol. Next mods on your list my guess would be suspension and an aluminum driveshaft?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations Slacker!

NICE dyno results! So did Joe give you a dyno run for free? That was a nice bonus! Now you kinda have the HP & Torque numbers from the stock engine @ the WHEELS! TONS of torque & the peak HP is coming @ less than 5500 rpm too.. SWEET!

My '05 V6 has a CAI & GT muffler with a VMP 93 Performance tune & I definitely feel a BIG performance difference from stock... I'm getting the 8.8" GT axle with 3.73 gearing installed next week - I can't wait to feel the improved acceleration and TWO wheels actually connecting to the ground! I'm also having my shop put her on the dyno to "tweak" the tune when they're finished with the install... it's gonna be interesting to see what kinda numbers I'm getting!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Congrats, you have almost the same setup I do. And you are right, it is a night/day difference. It should have come factory with all this stuff
Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Congrats! I have been running Evolution tunes on my S197's for over 2 years without complaints. Glad you found a shop you like & trust. At first I thought your labor cost was kinda high, but that includes installing the gears, exhaust system, and tuner. So it's not that bad I suppose. Now go find yourself a nearby track and get some times for your reborn pony.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Mustang Joe - Suspension mods are definitely in my mind, but not until I come up with some more green :-)

Irok - The dyno run cost me $150, something I forgot to put in the original post. You will LOVE the new gears and rear set up...what good is all the power you're getting without a good transfer to the tires? It makes a nice difference.

Oddy - I pretty much used your car as a model for what I wanted to do, and appreciate the time and effort you put into your forum posts. And yes, definitely should have come from the factory with this, but then we wouldn't have had the fun of modding it lol.

28HopUp - Yep, the Evo tunes are running pretty well so far. I meant to get to the track soon so I could get some times, but haven't had the chance yet. It took me 5 months just to post this thread lol, so hopefully I'll get there soon.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:57 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Thanks! You are right, I have actually had more fun modding my car that I won't know what to do when I am done.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i modded my car one mod at a time and was still able to feel significant differences. you did your car on one shot. the difference from stock must feel pretty awesome after it was all done. nice job dude.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:40 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Congrads man, that is a awesome setup. Im glad to see your dyno sheet, as i have the FRPP/c&l intake/evolution 93 tune set up..i always wondered what the horsepower was... Now I want those gears you have! I installed 4.10's in my f-150 this year in preparation for the mustang install.

Great job man!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slacker584
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since my last post here, and I figured that I would give back to the mustangforums community by posting a review of the performance mods done to my car, in addition to links of a video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLprpH-iPkU) of my car as well as a post-mod installation dyno sheet (http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...noSheet001.jpg). Feel free to ask any questions after reading, I'm here to help as a lot of others were for me when I was being a pain in the *** and asking questions :-)

Before I go into what was installed in my car, I'd like to review the shop that installed it first. I went through Ford Racing Parts' web page http://www.fordracingparts.com/where...stributors.asp and located Joe Heck Racing. I live in Staten Island, NY, and his shop is within reasonable driving distance (about 45 minutes). I met with Joe Amato, the owner and main man for handling parts and installations. Joe was very knowledgeable and courteous, and after explaining what I wanted done, we set up an appointment about a month away from when I first visited him.

Ok, now for the good stuff. Here are my current mods and the prices for purchase:

-- C&L CAI/Tuner package from Evolution Performance - $575
-- FRPP 3.73 Gears (NOT MOTIVE)* - $269
-- Ford T-Lok LSD - $200
-- Bearings - $50
-- Fluid - $20
-- Friction Modifier - $5
-- FRPP V6 Dual Exhaust - $575
-- Labor for installation of everything - $900
-- TOTAL PRICE - $2,594.00

* A note about the gears: Joe told me that he would not even install Motives on a Stang because of the well-known whine issue that is present after most installations. He said this is because of poor craftsmanship on Motive's part thus requiring the gears to be shimmed a lot before installation.

I chose not to mod anything myself because I'm a mechanical novice and, quite frankly, I don't trust myself and didn't want to make this whole process a headache instead of what it's supposed to be - a wonderful event.

Joe's shop's installation was perfect and I've had no problems with the car at all (knock on wood) since then. I had 19K miles on the date of the install and am now cruising comfortably with 24K. Joe even emailed me a few days after I picked the car up to see how everything was going, and I was happy to say that everything was great.

As for performance pre-install and post-install, the difference is as close to night and day as you are going to get without putting a supercharger in the sixer. The car just feels "right" now - it feels like it moves freer, if that makes any sense. The throttle lag is nearly eliminated (it's a fraction of a second now as compared to the stock condition), the car sounds fantastic with the FRPP duals, and the gears combined with the tune and air filter give the car a lot of high end power, which makes passing people on the highway a breeze :-).

All in all, judging from this past experience, if I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't change anything.
First off congrats on your mods. Secondly about the gears.
The shop that will be doing all my performance mods have also said the same thing about motive gears. The shop that will be doing my work is Fastlane Motorsports in Benson, NC

Quick Reply: FRPP Duals + 3.73 Gears + C&L Intake + 93 Evo Tune = Happy Mustang Owner