Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N CAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

Default K&N CAI

A guy at my work might sell me a brand new K&N CAI and was wondering if it is worth the 100$ he wants for it. I thought it was a decent deal and want to do that and get a tune from bama pretty soon after. Can I just use this CAI or is it best just to get the one that is packaged with the tuner?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

100 is a pretty decent price, but i'd go for something other than K&N when it comes to their CAI. I'd save your money and get a tuner/tune/cai package. Or keep an eye on the used parts section for a steal. Tunable Inductions/Demolet, JLT, C&L are the better ones for our cars.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

K&N arent bad but your way better off with a tuner CAI combo.
Im going with the C&L X Cal 3 tune/CAI combo. ive heard such great things about this combo im all for it!

If i were you, id save up to get the real deal but if you just want to push a few horses in the meantime, K&Ns arent bad
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 AM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

$100 isn't too bad, but if you're planning on getting a tuner, just go with one of the combos

I have the K&N typhoon intake and i am satisfied with it. I added the K&N intake on and had it on for a while but really didn't notice any startling changes or gains. I think my mpg increased by like 1 and the throttle response improved little bit. I added a bama tune to the car about a week after having the intake in and i noticed a huge difference. So yea, i mean its ultimately up to you, but i would just go for the combo. Good luck, im sure you'll be happy either way!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

If you want a decent cai and don't want to spend a lot of money look into VMPtuning.com cai & tuner combo. He has a special every once in a while and I think its $479.00 for both. With this combo and a performance muffler you get 25 HP to the rear wheels. I run this cai/tuner package w/93 tune on my Mustang V6 and it runs hard! Plus it can give great mileage on highway trips. I got 27.6 mpg highway with my mods using VMPs 87 mileage tune. A cai without the tuner doesn't give much HP. Save your money and get the real thing.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I'd say its a good deal since you can pay half that for just a K&N Air filter.

If you dont want it PM me! I'll take it :P
Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by my first mustang
If you want a decent cai and don't want to spend a lot of money look into VMPtuning.com cai & tuner combo. He has a special every once in a while and I think its $479.00 for both. With this combo and a performance muffler you get 25 HP to the rear wheels. I run this cai/tuner package w/93 tune on my Mustang V6 and it runs hard! Plus it can give great mileage on highway trips. I got 27.6 mpg highway with my mods using VMPs 87 mileage tune. A cai without the tuner doesn't give much HP. Save your money and get the real thing.
Don't get too excited now haha. It's 25hp for the GT. At least to my knowlage anyway.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

There is a reason he is selling it.
Wait for a real CAI and matching tune for the most
bang for the buck or you will be selling it also in
the near future.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:30 PM
jrsyedb
1st Gear Member

Default Sounds Good

Sounds like a good price, go for it.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Default recommended mods

Nik baby, first you're smart to do your research on the mods you want to make, but here's my recommendations:

C&L cold air intake
SCT tunerwith custom tune (CAI requires this)
Ford Racing 3.73 or 4.10 gears (4.10s may not be available anymore, why, I don't know)
Ford t-lock differential
Shaftmaster's aluminum driveshaft (preferrably 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch diameter)
Lowering springs (1 inch front & 3/4 inch rear max, otherwise it's camber adjustment plates)
18 X 9.5 inch Steeda ultra-light aluminum wheels
275/40-ZR18 tires

This package will sent you back about $3000 plus installation, but what a difference in handling and performance. Good luck, Jack.
Attached Thumbnails K&N CAI-119_1954.jpg  

Quick Reply: K&N CAI