MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   My car hates being driven hard (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/485632-my-car-hates-being-driven-hard.html)

07redMustang 09-27-2008 09:42 AM

My car hates being driven hard

Let me start out by saying I baby the car so much I never really get on it at all. Once every few months though I will give it a little gas maybe a few WOT quick little pulls, nothing major really. I've noticed that everytime I do this the next day my car idle's like crap on the virge of stalling and sometimes does stall out when I start it up. I don't think this is normal is it? I can't think of why it would do this. I reset the tune and then re-programmed it again and still the same thing. It only really does this after I get on it a few times though. My car should still be under warranty but I'm not 100% sure what to even tell the dealer why I'm bringing it in lol.

My mods include: 3.73 Gears S&B Cai, Tuner (currently using 87oct fuel economy tune), Wires, New fuel filter (The problem existed before I replaced it though), pypes dual exhaust.

Anyone have any ideas what I could check or what you think may be up with it?

Thanks

157dB 09-27-2008 10:38 AM

Its the PCMs adaptive learning thats adapting to you getting on it.
Then when you dont, the Stang cries in a way you describe.
Everytime you reset the tune or disconnect the battery you really
need to make her relearn the adaptive tuning.
Owners Manual PAGE 220under battery replacement.
It tells all about adaptive learning.

99BlackPonyGT 09-27-2008 12:30 PM

i beat my car to death....when i loaded the 87 octane tune on my car it wont run for ****...it barely idles and it will stall if i let it sit....loaded the 93 tune back on it and then it ran like a dream again...try a 89 tune instead of the 87 and see if that helps...

157dB 09-27-2008 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT (Post 5488691)
i beat my car to death....when i loaded the 87 octane tune on my car it wont run for ****...it barely idles and it will stall if i let it sit....loaded the 93 tune back on it and then it ran like a dream again...try a 89 tune instead of the 87 and see if that helps...

When you change the tune you really need to disconnect the battery so the PCM clears its adaptive learning. It might be whats causing all the 87 tune
stalling.

07redMustang 09-27-2008 12:57 PM

Okay I will reset everything and try to make it relearn. Does it learn driving habbits? If so I'm probably screwed because I baby the car all the time and from time to time I will beat on it just because I figure I have a mustang I'm entitled to beat on it every now and then.

Mustang_Joe 09-27-2008 02:29 PM

So you just unplug the battery wires from the car and clip them back to reset the pcm?

157dB 10-01-2008 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe (Post 5489027)
So you just unplug the battery wires from the car and clip them back to reset the pcm?

Just disconnect the ground wire on the battery under the hood.
Leave her unhooked for 20min or more so the internal
PCM flux capacitors can discharge fully.

Mustang_Joe 10-01-2008 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 157db (Post 5501569)
Just disconnect the ground wire on the battery under the hood.
Leave her unhooked for 20min or more so the internal
PCM flux capacitors can discharge fully.

Thanks, but flux capacitors are only in deloreans that go back to the future, lol.

MrSandman 10-01-2008 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 157db (Post 5488707)
When you change the tune you really need to disconnect the battery so the PCM clears its adaptive learning. It might be whats causing all the 87 tune
stalling.

Doesn't changing the tune already do that (erase previous settings)?

howarmat 10-02-2008 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MrSandman (Post 5503868)
Doesn't changing the tune already do that (erase previous settings)?

yes, changing the tune erases all data stored i believe.