Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Speaker Wiring???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

Default Speaker Wiring???

So I have a 12" Kicker L5 and a 1000 watt amp that I am thinking about putting on my Shaker 500. A couple questions:

1) Does the Shaker have a L and R audio output or do you have to get a cd changer adapter.
2) I cant find a post on the best way to feed the wire to the trunk. Down the center console?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

I ran wire from the battery, along the firewall through a little grommet on the firewall on the driver's side, then underneath the door sill and right back into the trunk.

Does your amp have speaker-level inputs? If so, the easiest way to install your amp and sub is to splice the speaker level inputs into your rear deck speaker wires to get the signal to the amp.
No pulling out the console, no fiddling with anything with the dash, no worrying about breaking plastic pieces or having squeaks or rattles after you get everything put back together.

Here is a link to wire colors on the S197 mustangs: the12volt

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:39 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

oh and that kicker is gunna bump out some AMAZING bass. 1000 watt amp, what's the sub rated to?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:25 PM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by basketballord
I ran wire from the battery, along the firewall through a little grommet on the firewall on the driver's side, then underneath the door sill and right back into the trunk.

Does your amp have speaker-level inputs? If so, the easiest way to install your amp and sub is to splice the speaker level inputs into your rear deck speaker wires to get the signal to the amp.
No pulling out the console, no fiddling with anything with the dash, no worrying about breaking plastic pieces or having squeaks or rattles after you get everything put back together.

Here is a link to wire colors on the S197 mustangs: the12volt

Good luck!

perfect! im gonna go through my back speakers. thanks for the help

the sub is rated to 1200 max i think, im a little scared my mustang will fall apart
Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

good god, that sub is a beast, haha but the chicks love that bass! is your amp single channel?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:03 AM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

yeah its a 1 channel phat tuesday bazooka. its almost too much. i think they would love the sound of your super charger more
Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Sheeeitt, i've had a girl ask me what's wrong with my car when she heard that sound. Unless you get the right girl, they can't tell a v6 from a v8, let alone what an s/c sounds like (unfortunately)! But I told her it was the boost demon screaming under the hood lol
Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

It is better to run the wire under the door sill as basketballord said, however, I disagree with using the wires of your rear speakers. While it will be easier, those are not the correct guages wires.

Then again I could just be **** because I used to compete in car audio competitions (long long ago)
Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

You must be an audiophile then Oddysey! Seeing as the wires connected in the speaker-level input harness are probably the same gauge as the speaker wires (they were on my Rockford amp setup), I don't see why it would hurt. If it does, why do they offer the speaker-level input option? While obviously running RCA's is a better option, it's much easier splicing the rear speaker wires. Plus you're just getting the sound signal for the sub to bump, not a crisp clear signal for another set of speakers. It's worked fine for two years on my car. Not busting your *****, you obviously know what you're talking about if you did audio competitions, just got a hunger for knowledge, why do you think it's not a good idea oddysey?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:23 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Don't get me wrong, it will work just fine. There is nothing wrong with it I was just saying I wouldn't do it because I am a huge believer that really good wiring gives you much better results. But like I said, I probably spent the same amount on wiring as I did my amp/subs back in the day.

I competed for sound quality though, so it was all about removing any ground noise. Just ignore more.. it will work fine for you

Quick Reply: Speaker Wiring???