MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   Transmission (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/486374-transmission.html)

tom55pru 09-30-2008 10:48 AM

Transmission

Ok so I went to the dealership to find out about trading in my car for a manual either the V6 or a GT and realized it will cost way to much...what can I do to get away from my auto transmission to a manual to start builing power...and yes I know I shouldn't of got the V6 auto...don't send me posts saying that cuz that gets me no where to hear you guys bitch :)

ODDYSEY 09-30-2008 12:49 PM

Have you tried getting a CAI and Tune first, because adding that drastically changes how an auto feels. There is a bigger gain of a cai/tune combo on an auto than there is on a manual.

tom55pru 09-30-2008 12:59 PM

yea but i rather be driving a manual than a auto...its more fun...i just need help finding out how , where to get this, and price estimated

Mustang_Joe 09-30-2008 01:47 PM

Apparently you've never heard manuals impress high schoolers and autos win races? That is true in a ton of drag races I have seen with equal powered cars. You have 2 options, Forced induction or naturally aspirated. Naturally aspirated will cost a lot of money for you to run with a stock GT but will keep you more reliable than a f/i (not saying they aren't reliable, tons of people have ran superchargers on stock internals for over 50k miles without a rebuild). Forced Induction though is cheaper in the longrun if you have big goals and will make you faster than GT's. Intercooled set-ups:
Turbocharger=a lot faster than GT's or Supercharger=a little faster than stock GT's. Both forced induction methods with some supporting mods will net you a low 13 to low 12sec car that is daily drivable. Good Luck on your decision.

If you really want a manual though, cheapest thing to do is sell your car in the paper, cars.com, ebay, or some other way and then buy a manual V6 or GT. Swapping transmissions will probably cost you at least $3k I'd guess unless you can do it yourself.

On driving a manual, I have driven a few manual cars and if you have a commute that has heavy traffic let me tell you manuals are not fun. I tried it a few times and you have no idea how angering and stressful it is to even drive in 20minutes of busy or rush hour traffic. That is the reason I chose an auto V6 over a manual. Of course I could of had a manual for the same price, but it just wasn't sensible to me.

rettgoings 09-30-2008 02:13 PM

I have an auto, I have a tune coming in the mail. With a tune an auto shift times are greatly improved. I also get stressed way to easily and would probably die by 40 if I drove a manual every day.

Some of the nicest cars in the world dont have a clutch.

2005Redfire6 09-30-2008 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe (Post 5498550)
Apparently you've never heard manuals impress high schoolers and autos win races? That is true in a ton of drag races I have seen with equal powered cars. You have 2 options, Forced induction or naturally aspirated. Naturally aspirated will cost a lot of money for you to run with a stock GT but will keep you more reliable than a f/i (not saying they aren't reliable, tons of people have ran superchargers on stock internals for over 50k miles without a rebuild). Forced Induction though is cheaper in the longrun if you have big goals and will make you faster than GT's. Intercooled set-ups:
Turbocharger=a lot faster than GT's or Supercharger=a little faster than stock GT's. Both forced induction methods with some supporting mods will net you a low 13 to low 12sec car that is daily drivable. Good Luck on your decision.

If you really want a manual though, cheapest thing to do is sell your car in the paper, cars.com, ebay, or some other way and then buy a manual V6 or GT. Swapping transmissions will probably cost you at least $3k I'd guess unless you can do it yourself.

On driving a manual, I have driven a few manual cars and if you have a commute that has heavy traffic let me tell you manuals are not fun. I tried it a few times and you have no idea how angering and stressful it is to even drive in 20minutes of busy or rush hour traffic. That is the reason I chose an auto V6 over a manual. Of course I could of had a manual for the same price, but it just wasn't sensible to me.

+1

I hate driving stick in traffic.

95cobby 09-30-2008 04:12 PM

I love driving my manual. I just got a Mustang with an auto for a rental this week while i'm out of town and wow is it weird driving an auto and the lag is terrible. If you keep your auto you have to get a tune!

heartinacage 09-30-2008 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 95cobby (Post 5499001)
I love driving my manual. I just got a Mustang with an auto for a rental this week while i'm out of town and wow is it weird driving an auto and the lag is terrible. If you keep your auto you have to get a tune!

Same here. Luvkily for me I don't ever hit traffic where I live. I actually can't stand driving an automatic (even though my Cougar is one).

Lethaldosage423 09-30-2008 05:01 PM

Im pretty sure newtakeoff do a man. transmission. but it might be just for the GT and its still going to run you over a thousand dollars

jdphillips73 09-30-2008 05:12 PM

I traded in a stick mustang for a auto mustang. The dealer said "if only it was a auto, i could give you more.... " not to mention that the new mustang with a auto cost 1000 dollars more, plus has a higher resale.