Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

T-Lok Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:18 PM
krussdog46

Default T-Lok Questions

So I'm thinking about getting a T-Lok. Specifically, Ford Racing 7.5" 28 Spline Traction - LOK Limited Slip Differential from AmericanMuscle.com. What is the difference between a T-Lok and gears? Could someone like me with limited hand tools but a decent amount of mechanical knowledge (I built a rock crawler Jeep from the gound up in High School but don't have any of those tools anymore) install a T-Lok or should I take it somewhere to get installed and if so approximately how much would the install cost? Would I need a new tune?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Install price very but around 300 no need for a tune if you are not changing gears. need an aftermarket install kit and a bottle of friction modifier this is the best price on a T-Lock
http://store.chipsv6specialties.com/index.html
199.99 FREE SHIPPING!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

you built a jeep but don't know the difference between gears and a differential?....interesting. anyways, you should just have a shop do it even if you were moderately handy with tools. if you are considering gears at all, you should have it all installed at the same time to avoid paying installation cost twice. make sure the shop warrants their workmanship. good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
you built a jeep but don't know the difference between gears and a differential?....interesting. anyways, you should just have a shop do it even if you were moderately handy with tools. if you are considering gears at all, you should have it all installed at the same time to avoid paying installation cost twice. make sure the shop warrants their workmanship. good luck.

ya my thoughts exactly. dont try it yourself
Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Don't do it yourself. Take it to an expert. If you also want gears you must install them together. This is not a job for someone with limited mechanical ability! You only need the tuner if you change the gears and then only to put the new rear gear ratio in your cars computer.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 AM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
I THINK he meant install not what they do...at least I hope so...hmm. Either way I'd take it to a shop to be safe and do gears at the same time as stated above.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:31 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

He was refering that his only experience was helping build a Jeep in high school.

T-Lok makes both wheels spin vs your current open differential which makes only 1 spin.

Gears are like on a 10-speed bike, bigger diameter more spin in the pedal, smaller diameter harder to push on the pedal.