Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installed my ebay headers today

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 PM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Installed my ebay headers today

I know there has been a lot of controversy over the fitment and the quality of the cheapo ebay headers so here is my experience.

Fitment The headers couldn't have fit any better if they were made by form themslef. There was no rubbing and all the holes lined up perfectly with the studs.

Quality On a scale 1-10 I would say they are a 7. A few of the welds were so so but but for the most part everything was good.

Included Parts This is a major one for me, nothing more irritating then getting a new mod and finding out you need to make a trip to home depot to get some new pieces. This kit came with everything you need, new bolts, studs, nuts, washers and gaskets. I was really surprised by this.

Performance I know a lot of people say don't get headers because you will only see like 5hp but I think I have to disagree. I'm not sure if the headers complimented other mods on my car or what but I noticed a huge difference in torque, hp and the car climbs through the rpm's a lot easier now. On my list of perfomance gains from mods I would say my 3.73 gears are in first then the headers then my intake and tune. Not to mention that it gave my exhaust a deeper tone which sounds a lot better now.

Verdict For 150$ you can't really beat this deal. It's a straight forward install with just basic hand tools. It takes about 5-6 hours if you're taking your time and the difference it makes is like night and day. I would recommend these to anyone who is looking for a cost friendly mod that looks great, sounds great and adds power to your car.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

thanks for sharing that man...what auction did you buy them, were they chrome, stainless, or what? Did they bolt right up to the cats no problem? did your sensors plug in no problem? How hard was it to remove the old manifolds, and which side was harder to install?

Im seriously considering this... so any info is much appreciated.
jd
Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

i too put ebay shortys headers on my 6 and it was easy the only thing i would recommend having is some ratcheting wrenches that can swivel some of the nuts (i reused the ford studs) are a pita to get a normal socket wrench on there.

Also i would get some pb blaster and soak the manifold to cat bolts, there are two on each side they tend to get really tight because they get heated up alot

Edit : i did have to get some longer bolts that held the dipstick tube and the coil bracket on because the header flange is about 1/2 thick and it goes over the holes that are there for the bolts. so you will have to get some longer bolts for those.

Last edited by Xargon321; 10-07-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
thanks for sharing that man...what auction did you buy them, were they chrome, stainless, or what? Did they bolt right up to the cats no problem? did your sensors plug in no problem? How hard was it to remove the old manifolds, and which side was harder to install?

Im seriously considering this... so any info is much appreciated.
jd
They are the chrome ones that are all over ebay for 150$ I did some reasearch and found that most headers are made by the same people with a different name on them. They bolted right up to the cats without a problem. I removed my x pipe and just let the cats hang while I installed the headers then put everything back in place and bolted it down and everything fit perfect. The sensors are screwed into the cats so there is no change there but the pipe the screws into the driver side header fit perfectly with no problems at all. Removing the old manifolds wasn't a walk in the park be perpared to get a bunch of little nicks and cuts on your hands but it's simple to remove all the bolts. I would soak the studs in wd-40 prior to the install to make it easier. Also I would remove the x-pipe or y-pipe if youre stock and let the cats hang it will make it a lot easier. At first I didn't do that and the bolts that held the cats to the header was difficult but once I dropped those it was easy to remove. They were both easy to take off I guess the driver side was harder because I also had to remove the exhaust tube which took an extra 5 min.

I did the install in my garage with just a jack, jack stand, sockets and vice grips. It really is an easy install. The hardest part is reaching some of the bolts but just be patient and you will get it.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xargon321
i too put ebay shortys headers on my 6 and it was easy the only thing i would recommend having is some ratcheting wrenches that can swivel some of the nuts (i reused the ford studs) are a pita to get a normal socket wrench on there.

Also i would get some pb blaster and soak the manifold to cat bolts, there are two on each side they tend to get really tight because they get heated up alot

Edit : i did have to get some longer bolts that held the dipstick tube and the coil bracket on because the header flange is about 1/2 thick and it goes over the holes that are there for the bolts. so you will have to get some longer bolts for those.
Yeah I forgot the mention that you will need a slightly longer bolt for the dipstick. The bolts on the coil pack went on just fine though for me.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

the big on that held on the coil bracket when in fine but the small one needed to be a bit longer but other then that they it went without a hitch gave it a deeper sound to, this is a recommended mod when you haev duels
Old 10-08-2008, 12:08 AM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Haha on my way home today I had to give the car a little throttle to merge onto the high way and the pedal was almost to the floor and then the car started like bouncing and I threw a CEL. I pulled off the side of the road and my car was barley running. I was thinking man this isn't good at all. I opened the hood and somehow when I floored the car 3 of the spark plug wires came off. I made the 21 mile trip to school without a problem (I'm guessing the spark plugs wires were barley on the plugs and when I floored it they dislodged themselfs. I felt like such an idiot but I guess sometimes after a lengthy install we tend to overlook things. I put the plugs back on and everything went away. I went form thinking the worst to being happy that my car sounds so good again lol.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

Ya my plugs didnt feel like they when on but i have not had a problem, but i might replace my coil pack and wires to something a little hotter see if i can pull a couple more ponys out of her
Old 10-08-2008, 02:13 AM
zimba
1st Gear Member

I bought the Pypes Performance shorty headers at americanmuscle.com, they cost a little more but they are stainless steel and they will probably out last the car. I do notice a slight difference in sound but I have to say I really didn't feel any more pony's.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 AM
kn0x`
2nd Gear Member

what slight difference did you hear zimba? deeper?

Quick Reply: Installed my ebay headers today