Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Single exhaust Power gains?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:21 AM
cvidal07

Default Single exhaust Power gains?

i like the Borla single exhaust. it sounds pretty nice. will i see a small power increase from a single or will i see a better power increase from going dual with another brand? I like that i can get a single borla for about 300 but a dual will cost me alot more. Ive looked around the forums and i get so many different answers i had to put a new post up. any recommendations to a nice set up for a okay price? About 600 maybe 700. Im up for suggestions.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

H-Pipe: Lose a lil power on high end but better sounding.
X-Pipe: Power gains, sounds good but not as good as the H-Pipe.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:06 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

To bad you're not closer to me, you'd get a FRPP one for even less, it's the same as the borla.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

I hear dual exhaust is just for show and a little more exhaust volume when you are naturally aspirated. I've heard no dual exhaust has dyno'd more gains than a single straight thru axelback/muffler on any car without forced induction. Saying that, the mid-pipe should make no difference in hp/torque either unless you are deleting the cat/cats.

That is the reason I chose a single Loudmouth axelback for my exhaust. (best rwhp gains b/c it's free flowing, muffler delete takes off weight, and shows as much gains as any dual exhaust on a V6, possibly more than some chambered muffler duals).
Old 10-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

^^ Exactly, unless you change the cats there won't be any real power gains. Without cats, our cars sound like crap supposedly.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:10 PM
doug4321

where can I get a Loudmouth axleback muffler?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

www.ninosport.com

They also have the duals version which I'm going to get
Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

single exhaust weighs less
Old 10-12-2008, 03:46 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
I hear dual exhaust is just for show and a little more exhaust volume when you are naturally aspirated. I've heard no dual exhaust has dyno'd more gains than a single straight thru axelback/muffler on any car without forced induction. Saying that, the mid-pipe should make no difference in hp/torque either unless you are deleting the cat/cats.

That is the reason I chose a single Loudmouth axelback for my exhaust. (best rwhp gains b/c it's free flowing, muffler delete takes off weight, and shows as much gains as any dual exhaust on a V6, possibly more than some chambered muffler duals).

Every single one of us has gone down this road, and I guess you are determined to do it to. But, I'm going to say it anyway. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A SINGLE ANYTHING! If you are planning on any kind of extensive mods, and based on your list, you are, you are going to end up wanting duals. It's inevitable. Quit kidding yourself. You can make all of the hokey power rationalizations you want to now, but in the end, you are going to want the sound of the dual exhaust thumping. That's one of, if not the only real benefit the shorty headers are going to give you, a better exhaust note, and it's going to be lost in a single. Take it from me, I have a garage full of wall art. American Thunder.... Ford Racing... Stocker... All singles....
Old 10-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by themac5150
Every single one of us has gone down this road, and I guess you are determined to do it to. But, I'm going to say it anyway. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A SINGLE ANYTHING! If you are planning on any kind of extensive mods, and based on your list, you are, you are going to end up wanting duals. It's inevitable. Quit kidding yourself. You can make all of the hokey power rationalizations you want to now, but in the end, you are going to want the sound of the dual exhaust thumping. That's one of, if not the only real benefit the shorty headers are going to give you, a better exhaust note, and it's going to be lost in a single. Take it from me, I have a garage full of wall art. American Thunder.... Ford Racing... Stocker... All singles....
No, I will be happy with my single. Reasons I will be happy with my single exhaust for a long time:

-Single Exhaust weighs at least 30lbs less than a dual exhaust helping my with my objective of good fuel economy
-Single Exhaust will net the same gains as duals with the same mufflers (and a straight thru mufflers show the most gains) for naturally aspirated set-ups
-Single Exhaust keeps the stock single exhaust look of the 4.0 which I like, that way people know I have a 6er and 75% of the people that see my car won't be confused by the duals

I know duals will look better and sound a little bit louder, but I don't want duals. I thought about it, and if I did I would have gotten them. Thanks for the help though, I know what I want with my car.

Quick Reply: Single exhaust Power gains?