MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   Shakey Steering Wheel? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/489292-shakey-steering-wheel.html)

rettgoings 10-11-2008 12:35 PM

Shakey Steering Wheel?

Highway driving my steering wheel shakes the hell out of my arm. I feel like my watch is going to shake itself apart. If i let go my car drives straight and fine, but the vibration is killing me. Am I the only one?

OldGuy 10-11-2008 01:28 PM

It sounds like a front wheel is out of balance. Maybe a weight fell off. If not that, you may have a front tire that has a separated belt or other such defect. I would take it to a tire shop and explain the problem. If it is either of the above they can take care of you.

themac5150 10-12-2008 01:21 AM

Yep, get'em balanced and get the alignment checked. May be a bad tire as mention previously. Also, when was the last time you rotated the tires? If you're not keeping a good rotation schedule, tire wear can cause things to start shakin' if all else is good.

TAoW1939 10-12-2008 11:13 AM

Before you go and spend a bunch of money, check your tire pressure, I was having that same problem not to long ago, turns out all my tires were a good 10-15 psi low, putting them back to 35 solved all vibrations.

rettgoings 10-12-2008 01:36 PM

all of mine are 30-33 psi....it feels like the front left tire is running over a tiny bump or something every couple seconds at 20mph. maybe i am just tripping out

OldGuy 10-12-2008 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by rettgoings (Post 5538246)
it feels like the front left tire is running over a tiny bump or something every couple seconds at 20mph.

OK, I'm confused. In your first post you talked about "highway driving" and said that the steering wheel "shakes the hell" out of your arm. Now you say it feels like tiny bumps at 20 mph. I'm not getting a picture of what it is that you are trying to describe.

I have two cars, a 2007 Mustang and a 2007 Nissan Altima. On the same road my Altima can feel smooth as glass while my Mustang will transmit tiny imperfections in the road that I cannot even see through the steering wheel. The same thing is true on the interstate. I feel things through the steering wheel in the Mustang that I don't feel in the Altima. Of course I also feel things through the Altima steering wheel that I don't feel in my daughter's Camry. It depends on the car's suspension; however, the Mustang steering wheel does not shake at any speed.

rettgoings 10-12-2008 02:25 PM

didnt get a chance to drive on the highway today but its most noticable when im at high speeds. at about 70 i can see my left hand visibly shaking on the wheel.

i was slowing down at a light today and it would be a slight vibration/bump pattern as if there were divots evenly spaced as i approached the light. it is not very strong but it feels like a object in my wheel. i looked at it for an hour today and nothing

i have only 6000 miles on my car, so its new

rettgoings 10-12-2008 02:26 PM

i think my alignment is fine because my car would drive straight by itself no problem.

JimC 10-12-2008 06:04 PM

Your last description sounds to me like you may have a flat spot on a tire, or a belt of some kind out of place. The "tiny bump" feeling isn't what you would get with an alignment problem or necessarily an out of balance problem. You should get your tires inspected.

BM83 10-12-2008 07:53 PM

sounds like a bad belt in a tire.