Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Battery Issue on a 2005..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:44 PM
cherrycandy001

Default Battery Issue on a 2005..

So about 3 weeks ago I woke up one morning to realize my cars battery was dead so I took it to the closest auto zone and they said my battery was good. They gave it a full charge and returned it. So for about 2 and a half weeks I had no issues. Then last week I got in my car and again the battery was dead. So a friend from work gave me a jump, the second he took his car off my car died. So we left the cars charging off each other for 5 mins and again it died right away. So the third time we left in on for about 10 mins which gave me a a strong charge. I got home and went to grab a bite, on the way home I noticed as I was driving the battery was dying, the radio turned off and luckily I was right next to the auto zone. So they tested the alternator and battery, they said the alternator was good and I needed a new battery. So I bought a new battery and no issues till right now when I was on my way to my moms and i decided to look at the battery indicator on the dash it showed about half way and within like 2 mins it dropped to 0. So sure enough once I got here and tried to turn the car on the battery was dead. So I went inside and told my mom, she said lets take a look at it and this time I turned the key and it was back to half way on the indicator. My Question is What Can possibly be wrong? The first time the battery had died I think someone may of tried to steal the car because the window stopped doing the thing where it drops down a little when you open the door and raise when you close it. Could it be a short? How do I know? Thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 04:57 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

i dont know what the cause is, but it sounds like the problem i have with my 07. the automatic up on my windows cuts in and out. i think its the switch , but havent been able to take it in to check but now if i dont drive my car for a day, it will be dead when i get back in it 2 days later. i read somewere that the oem battery isnt that great, so ive just been putting it on a charger over the weekends until i can get an optima.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:42 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have something putting a drain on the battery. Leaving a light on is too obvious so maybe an after market stereo/amp or something?
Each time a typical car battery is drained dead it looses some of its ability to hold a charge. After a while, especially if it is older it will go bad from too many discharges.
The window issue often happens when you kill the battery, especially if you were operating it as it died. You have to reset the xpress window function. The process should be in your owners manual. The reset procedure as I recall says to roll the window down and hold the switch down for two seconds followed by rolling up and holding for two seconds.