Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4th or Overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Default 4th or Overdrive?

Well for the past few months I have left overdrive on everywhere I go because I assumed I would get better gas mileage. Once I got the my 93 race tune installed the other day I noticed an increase in throttle response and overall power (I can go up steep hills without effort now). The only problem is, my engine stills bogs down at about 1500 RPM when I'm cruising. I turned Overdrive off and wow it was awesome, I was always at about 2000 RPM and had power available.

How do you guys drive? Overdrive on or off? Is it better for gas mileage? Should I use it under 60 mph?

On a side note, there's a few things I've been wondering:

- Is my CAI supposed to make a slight shhh-ing or sucking sound when I hit the gas? I assume so.

- What do you guys with Bama's 93 Race tune idle at when you first start your car?

- What are the shift points with Bama's 93 race tune.

Answers to any of these questions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:17 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

at highway speeds i always have it on, unless I am going through a hilly area where it is upshifting and downshifting a lot. But for the most part you can just let the computer do the shifting for you and you'll get better mileage than if you run in 4th the whole time.

- yes the CAI makes a sucking sound
Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I have the Bama 91 Race.
I use OD over 60 mph only.
I have both idle rpm's set at 725 rpm.
I have the WOT shift MPH at -2 mph.
I have the rev limiter set at 6050 prm.
At WOT it shifts at about 5900 rpm.
Hope this helps.
DS
Old 10-21-2008, 02:01 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

any time your going to go over ~2200 rpms for long periods of time (in 4th) on flat ground turn it on, otherwise keep it off,
Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

????? button

On all our vehicles at home, including the Stang, when we want OD we just throw in the pedal and move the shifter over to the right and up. Sometimes we do it at 45 mph if it's a long, flat, stretch of road with low speed limit. One of our cars, an Accord running a long road at around 60mph got 38mpg in 5th.... OD. The Stang almost got 30mpg on the same road in 5th.......oops, OD

not bad
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
Well for the past few months I have left overdrive on everywhere I go because I assumed I would get better gas mileage. Once I got the my 93 race tune installed the other day I noticed an increase in throttle response and overall power (I can go up steep hills without effort now). The only problem is, my engine stills bogs down at about 1500 RPM when I'm cruising. I turned Overdrive off and wow it was awesome, I was always at about 2000 RPM and had power available.

How do you guys drive? Overdrive on or off? Is it better for gas mileage? Should I use it under 60 mph?

On a side note, there's a few things I've been wondering:

- Is my CAI supposed to make a slight shhh-ing or sucking sound when I hit the gas? I assume so.

- What do you guys with Bama's 93 Race tune idle at when you first start your car?

- What are the shift points with Bama's 93 race tune.

Answers to any of these questions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Overdrive question: for autos, I highly do not recommend turning overdrive on/off while driving (as in accelerating/decelerating), it generates heat and could damage the transmission. plus turning off overdrive at high speeds makes the engine scream...so it could hurt your engine too. For me, if i want a little more power on the streets, i turn off overdrive and keep it off. but if i know i'll be doing some highway cruising, i leave it on. yes, it does cause you to run higher RPMs since you no longer have access to the 4th gear...thus you will get worse mileage if you turn overdrive off.

CAI question: yep. sounds pretty cool imo.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:50 PM
mustangfan410
The 2014 Mustang Forums T-Shirt Design Winner

i notice that when i have my overdrive off my engine revs higher at certain speeds.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 PM
roadking05
1st Gear Member

Damn it, i better stop turning on/off my OD. I never knew that would hurt my engine.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 PM
lurkmoar
1st Gear Member

i leave od on unless im in heavy traffic. I used to turn if off when I was passing big trucks on the interstate but with the TI/bama tunes it's not necessary anymore. If you don't like the way the race tunes shifts try the torque tune(if you have it).
Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by addison85
Overdrive question: for autos, I highly do not recommend turning overdrive on/off while driving (as in accelerating/decelerating), it generates heat and could damage the transmission. plus turning off overdrive at high speeds makes the engine scream...so it could hurt your engine too. For me, if i want a little more power on the streets, i turn off overdrive and keep it off. but if i know i'll be doing some highway cruising, i leave it on. yes, it does cause you to run higher RPMs since you no longer have access to the 5th gear...thus you will get worse mileage if you turn overdrive off.

CAI question: yep. sounds pretty cool imo.
Fixed it for ya

Quick Reply: 4th or Overdrive?