Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X is in the mail

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

The lack of compression braking is a tune thing. It's from delayed throttle closing for minimizing unburned hydrocarbons on decelleration.

I like compression braking for going down hill, and also if I'm blasting along and let off the throttle, I like the car to slow down haha. Anyways, Doug tweaked the tune a couple times for me until it was where I liked it.

He also dropped the idle down on mine to 625. I think the current tunes run the idle a little higher because some cars couldn't idle down that low. Mine's an automatic, and it's been fine with the lowered idle.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:36 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I don't have an xcharger.. but I can relate to the "some cars don't like to idle low" comment. I had to raise my "Drive" idle a few hundred rpm after the dual exhaust upgrade (i think it was related to that at least). The car was fine.. it just felt too rough.. especially with the AC or heat on.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:54 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

To all that responded with words of support, Thank You!
And special thanks to you Tom, if the offer still stands for the phone call, I will gladly do it. Yesterday, my mind was all over the place, when I tried to post replies on the forum, it was messing up, and redirecting me, telling me I was posting duplicate posts... I was trying to read the posts, it was taking forever to load the pages. I got fed up with the computer and I went out and pulled some plugs to check for lean indication/damage, all was good there. Rechecked the lid bolts, they were all good. Rechecked all the vacuum hoses, all good. It's just very hard to relate the feeling to others I guess. The feeling of pride of ownership, success of a job well done, IMMEDIATELY sucked from within in a sickening, gut wrenching, split second as you read what you think is a simple follow up, just to be sure, email. As you stand there, holding 3 parts in your hand that maybe total $2. It's just not a good feeling. Add to that, it's a Saturday, you know you'll never get anyone on the phone. I left a message on the tech line for Dave to call me about the upgrade. All I can hope for is that someone else doesn't have the joy ERASED from the experience. I'll say the car never acted as if something was wrong, no pinging, it just pulled hard, with that banshee howl. Like I said before "WOW".

It doesn't sound quite the same after the upgrade, it doesn't "howl" or "whine" like it did the first run...

Last edited by themac5150; 11-02-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:15 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by themac5150
To all that responded with words of support, Thank You!
And special thanks to you Tom, if the offer still stands for the phone call, I will gladly do it. Yesterday, my mind was all over the place, when I tried to post replies on the forum, it was messing up, and redirecting me, telling me I was posting duplicate posts... I was trying to read the posts, it was taking forever to load the pages. I got fed up with the computer and I went out and pulled some plugs to check for lean indication/damage, all was good there. Rechecked the lid bolts, they were all good. Rechecked all the vacuum hoses, all good. It's just very hard to relate the feeling to others I guess. The feeling of pride of ownership, success of a job well done, IMMEDIATELY sucked from within in a sickening, gut wrenching, split second as you read what you think is a simple follow up, just to be sure, email. As you stand there, holding 3 parts in your hand that maybe total $2. It's just not a good feeling. Add to that, it's a Saturday, you know you'll never get anyone on the phone. I left a message on the tech line for Dave to call me about the upgrade. All I can hope for is that someone else doesn't have the joy ERASED from the experience. I'll say the car never acted as if something was wrong, no pinging, it just pulled hard, with that banshee howl. Like I said before "WOW".

It doesn't sound quite the same after the upgrade, it doesn't "howl" or "whine" like it did the first run...
you may call me anytime. i just got home from church with the family and if the rain stays away ill be in the driveway installing the rest of my suspension. (adjustable rear and front springs and struts) so i will be available.

after reading your post i could only imagine the feeling you had. anyway prior to the x i was also the mule for the AFE CAI. i had a few different tunes for my car and had flashed the car and took of on a trip to the mountains. half way up the hill the car was pinging and i had left the tuner at home so all i could do was creep up the hill in the slow lane and hope for the best. it truly is a sick feeling to feel that helpless. trust me the tuner is now in a soft case in the trunk with the spare always.

when i first got my car i was one of the first to get the xcal i know this because after Dave and i installed my x charger the vp of SCT Chris Johnson did the very first tune for it. when i handed him my tuner he was like " man when did you get this ? this is one of our beta units!" he immediately handed me a brand new unit because i think he wanted to put mine in his museum LOL.

as far as the rest i am sure the car sound pretty cool . i have had the x now for over 2 years and it still amazes me how fun it is , and im still just running the 3.0 pully and my AFE CAI. i am sure with the 2.8 (which i do own ) and daves CAI it would be even faster but i am plenty fine with the lower boost as she is my daily driver.

you are part of two brotherhoods Mustang and now the X-men. i was gald to see the guys come over an also give some support. you don't know me or i you but trust me when i say you will always get a strait answer out of me and i will try to answer any question to the best of my knowledge. i may not be around as much as when i first got my car but i have been around the block for some time and will continue to be around. anyone that knows me knows this. as far as Dave goes i have his home # and called him immediately and we talked and as posted both agree you will be fine. and has already made some changes to try to clarify the instructions a little better. i don't like to bother him on the weekends and take advantage of my relationship with him but i felt your pain and i know what it is like to have to wait all weekend for an answer and he also understood.

waiting for your call
Tom
Old 12-01-2008, 05:26 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Just a note to the O/P.........test load the Tune FIRST!........if your tuner gives you an error, you can have Dave fix it for you before you install your S/C.

.....precautionary measure.

Explorer Express has a well developed tune from Bamachips......but you always want to make sure it loads before you rip your intake apart, install the blower, then find that your new tune didn't load correctly. Load the tune, then revert back to your stock (or aftermarket) tune......before you start breaking any bolts loose on your S/C install.

You had your tunes e-mailed to you.......I would try to load one, (but not start your pony with it installed)......just to make sure the tunes load properly.

THIS POST WAS MADE PRE-MATURELY, BEFORE READING ALL OF THE HELP YOU GOT FROM SOME VETERAN X-MEN THAT HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE INSTALL AND TUNES. I was simply trying to offer some insight into some problems I have read about with people trying to run the X-charger before installing the correct tunes.....

I hope you have the problems worked out Themac5150...........I have hope of being X-charger #100!.....

Last edited by musicheadt; 12-01-2008 at 05:53 PM.