Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo/Supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Quindile

Default Turbo/Supercharge

I'm going to be honest, i don't know a whole lot about mechanics but im curious what the up/downside to purchasing a turbo vs. a supercharger is. I'm also curious if anyone could recomend a Turbo to me for my 2008 V6 Pony.

Any advice or information would be great, thanks.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

There have been many threads on the subject... the search button is your friend
Old 10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

I recommend turbo but try searching to find your answer.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 PM
TRMustang07
1st Gear Member

A turbocharger is a form of supercharger aka a centrifugal supercharger the difference is that the turbo offers more power but supercharger is straight power. Ahah there is a difference tho.. Ill explain.
there are different turbos a small turbo gives u power quiker but less power at higher speeds and a large turbo gives less power in the begiinning (aka as turbo lag) but more power at higher speeds. That's why twin turbos are great cuz probably there's a small one for pwer early and big turbo for power later. A supercharger is straight power no lag but offers little bit less pwer. Both are great but depends on how u drive ur car. I don't know the real facts for which is best used for what? but correct me if im wrong a turbo is better for drag and supercharcher is for track. But I don't know I believe both are good for both.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Turbo is going to make you more power, but is slightly more expensive.

The main difference between turbo and super chargers is how they make their power.
-Turbo uses exhaust gas to make boost, whereas a supercharger is belt-driven.

Since the supercharger uses some of your engine's power to make more power, it is less efficient than a turbo and won't make as much power. However, superchargers generally offer a bit better power on the lower end of the powerband.

It's all personal preference really. If you want ultimate power out of the four oh, go with the Powerhouse turbo kit. It's proven to make great numbers on relatively low boost. If you want a sexy engine bay and good low-end power brought by the roots-type supercharger, go with the X-Charger from Explorer Express. If you want something in between, there are different kits from Vortech and Procharger. Vortech and Procharger make centrifugal superchargers, which are essentially belt-driven turbos. Do some research and make the choice that is right for you.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

You get more power and torque with a turbo...simple.

O and if you get a centrifugal supercharger like a vortech or paxton then yes there is lag too and you don't hardly ever get to see full boost cause it is at peak rpm

Turbo is better for instance how many cars come from the factory with a supercharger.....now how many with a turbo?

But if you want low end torque and power go with the x charger
If you want peak power and more torque through mid range go with the turbo. I had a vortech and hated it.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Mamba GTT
Turbo is better for instance how many cars come from the factory with a supercharger.....now how many with a turbo?
STi, Evo, Cobalt SS (newer models), Dodge SRT-4, the wide selection of turbo-diesel trucks.

Last edited by The Potato; 10-30-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:28 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black Mamba GTT
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
Ford Lightning
Some old T-Birds came with M-90's I think (don't quote me on that one)
and oh ya, the big one, it's starts with a "Terminator" and ends with a "Cobra"

But more and more cars are coming with factory turbos...they are usually small-displacement engines that need a turbo to make decent power.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

crap, I misread that. Disregard my post. Sorry.