Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

So I choose to get a diablo predator

Old 10-31-2008, 01:25 AM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

don't think i am spinning and here is what i do each time

i pull up and yes through the water box, i do a burnout "and i have heard i don't need to but with the auto i have drove around the waterbox, staged, held the brake and revved up and the tires broke loose rightr away. If i do a decent burnout i can hold the brake and literally have it to the floor just before green and take off.

i just take out of the start with a break release and the rpm's are around 3000 or so i can'[t remember the exact rpm it will sit at while power braking.

does anyone else have 1/8th auto 60' times, and not the supercharged boys lol i know your beating that.

I did get some attention as a gt only beat me by a little over 1/2 a car and only like 2-3mph, will have to get the slips out of the car again to be sure. But i had some people that like d the car and said it was launching hard.

again as tire spin i can't feel any at luaunch and i know it isn't spinning in 2nd it may bark now but at wot my engine + exhaust makes it hard for me to know.

i was mad on my last run, got only my 2nd redlight ever and raced a camaro i believe is what it was with a v8 and he barely and i mean barely beat me
Old 10-31-2008, 06:44 AM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lauraspony
don't think i am spinning and here is what i do each time

i pull up and yes through the water box, i do a burnout "and i have heard i don't need to but with the auto i have drove around the waterbox, staged, held the brake and revved up and the tires broke loose rightr away. If i do a decent burnout i can hold the brake and literally have it to the floor just before green and take off.

i just take out of the start with a break release and the rpm's are around 3000 or so i can'[t remember the exact rpm it will sit at while power braking.

does anyone else have 1/8th auto 60' times, and not the supercharged boys lol i know your beating that.

I did get some attention as a gt only beat me by a little over 1/2 a car and only like 2-3mph, will have to get the slips out of the car again to be sure. But i had some people that like d the car and said it was launching hard.

again as tire spin i can't feel any at luaunch and i know it isn't spinning in 2nd it may bark now but at wot my engine + exhaust makes it hard for me to know.

i was mad on my last run, got only my 2nd redlight ever and raced a camaro i believe is what it was with a v8 and he barely and i mean barely beat me
You're defiantly having problems getting the power to the ground which could be any number of things. I will list what I think could be going wrong.

-I'm assuming you don't have t-loc? If not your burnout will not matter at all. Only one tire will spin and heat up and become stickier, but the way our non t-loc cars work (from what I gathered online) it will spin the tire that has the least amount of resistance. That means if you do a burnout with the right tire when you launch your car the left tire will be the one to get you going. There isn't too much that can be done about this really though other then t-loc.

- You're revving your car too high before the launch. This is something that you can only figure out by practice. If you rev too high you're more then likely going to spin the tires, if you rev to low it's going to hurt your 60' times too.

- Poor track prep. This is probably the biggest problem with most tracks. Most places during "open track nights" they will do little to no prep work at all. This will leave the track less sticky. I used to go to a track in Ohio that would re-prep the track every hour and I never once was able to do a burnout on the launch my car always gripped the track even with high rev launches.

- Bad tires. You have less then 20k miles I think I read so I'm assuming you have the stock tires still that came with the car? If so that's going to hurt your 60' times too they're just not made to grip the road too hard.

- Climate conditions and heatsoak. Every time you run your car at the track you will yield a different outcome even if you do everything 100% the same. Sometimes everything works flawlessly and you have no power loss due to heatsoak and the very next time down the strip you could be 5hp less then due to heatsoak or climate change. The only real remedy to this is to place a bag of ice on the intake. Although our intakes are plastic they still retain a little bit of heat. Not to mention that the melting ice running down the motor should cool down other components.

Those are just a few things that may or may not apply to you but they are common factors each and everytime at the track. Don't be discouraged though the numbers still show eventually. You know your car is more powerful now it's just a matter of figuring out the variables so you can run your best time.

I will try to find my slips if I still have them and let you know what my times were. I've never ran an 1/8 though only a 1/4. My best 1/4 mile time was 14.7 completely stock with an 07 auto.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 AM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

well tomorrow there is another drag race that starts in the morning, i am going to try and make it tomorrow. on the tire spin ordeal, i have tried not spinning and everytime i do i spin at launch wish i had a video of the car lol but i go bymyself and travel alot lol so don't know anyone.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:26 PM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lauraspony
well tomorrow there is another drag race that starts in the morning, i am going to try and make it tomorrow. on the tire spin ordeal, i have tried not spinning and everytime i do i spin at launch wish i had a video of the car lol but i go bymyself and travel alot lol so don't know anyone.
Also this time of year the temperature is colder so that too will make your tires spin more. Di you buy the car brand new? If not I wouldn't go to the track everyday like you are. A track run is so much abuse on your car and the more you go the the worse it is. Although if you have a decent warranty still on your car then drive it like you stole it . By the way all a warranty means take it to the redline everytime lol.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

I don't think spinning has a ton to do with the weather since she is in texas. From the pic I see you have the stock 16's and not 17" bullits. With the 17" bullits and pirellis I have seen people hitting 2.0 and lower 60ft with their cars, but the stock 16's are pretty rough for traction. 215/65/16 dimensions w/all season tires are hard for getting good traction. I'd look into new wheels/better tires if you're serious about this drag/track thing.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:52 PM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

well last night I raced in irwindale ca the same place I got the9.5 about a week ago and from what I hear I am told I launch pretty fast and I hear hard also. And yes stock rims and tires. Hopefully I can get in early and try a few different things tomorrow at the 1/4 mile as I am sure I will find out if the tune actually increased performance as my fastest ever was 15.5. Oh and I have a 75k mile warranty
Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

I thought you only ran the 1/8th? You hit a 15.5 1/4 time, what was you're 60ft on that run.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:25 PM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

I'll have to see if I can find the slip been a bit for that run and irwindale is a 1/8 the one tomorrow morning is 1/4 so hope to see improvement on that distance
Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Okay with 75k warranty beat on it all you want

Next time you go to the track try deflating your rear tires about 5-10psi a more deflated tire is hard to burnout with. All this track talk really makes me want to go now. Too bad the local track doesn't have an open day until next week.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 PM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

well tomorrow is an early race I think tech is 7 or 8 am and race starts at 9 and goes till 5 I am going early so I can play with a few settings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I choose to get a diablo predator