Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Posting a message here I did at MC

Old 11-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Default Posting a message here I did at MC

I was a little slow at getting a few responses from their, so I'll post it here to.

Here is my situation. I bought the car in September and wanted a little more go so I did some mods. My plan then was to do a full bolt-on car over the next few years, but I have since realized the dollar/value of mods next would be near minimal for performance(acceleration, little suspension, weight reduction, etc).
This is the mods list I have so far:
-17" bullitts
-C&L cold air intake
-93 Octane SCT tune
-BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers
-Loudmouth single axelback
-Shaftmaster Aluminum Driveshaft
-BMR lightweight radiator support/front sway delete
-Rear Seat Delete kit
-FRPP T-lok
-other minor weight reduction and a couple appearance mods

in the mail:
-CHE lca, uca, and antisquat brackets
-FRPP 4.10's and bearing kit

I am 19, in college but don't pay for it (parents made a college fund for me when I was born), and work a near full time job to pay for insurance and gas money. I make enough money a year for gas, insurance, some money to put away for the future (I have over $7k in my account for emergency money, I won't ever let it go below $5k), and about $5.5k-$6k to spend on leisure stuff(or car) depending on how many hrs I work. So I have been looking into forced induction. I really want my car to be as fast as it can with the money I put into.

I was checking number and it looks like Late Winter/Early Spring of 2010 I would be able to afford a f/i type of my choice and it looks like the most reputable is the PH411 turbo with intercooler kit. It would give me the power I want at a safe enough psi level to DD and hit the tracks a couple times a year. But I have some question about this that I hope you guys can answer:

1. Looking at my mods list right now, 4.10's are way to steep for an intercooled turbo kit running 9-11psi? 3.31's would be fine?
2. What is the regular maintenence of an intercooled turbo kit?
3. I hear turbos increase mpg, would this be true of this kit?
4. I have a single outlet exhaust (but it is a muffler less exhaust) with ceramic shorty headers, would I be creating too much torque even without the muffler for this system? What would you suggest? A dual set-up isn't out of the question, it would just cost me a little more time to wait for the turbo kit and a little more money out of the pocket.
5. I hear it comes with a diablo canned tune, I wouldn't be able to dyno the car probably for a few months or 1/2 a year after it's installed. Would it be ok/safe to run the canned tune that long for a DD?
6. How many hrs would it take a performance shop to install the ph411 intercooled kit(shop has installed many superchargers and turbochargers already)? Hopefully under $1300.
7. What supporting mods would you suggest? I would guess the minimum would be wider rims and drag radials or sticky tires for the rear? Anything else?
8. About the wider tires/rims, what the widest tire I would be able to fit on an 8" wide rim? 9" wide rim? 10" wide rim? and what would be best for the street and the intercooled turbo kit?
9. Street traction with say 285 width tires be ok with the intercooled turbo kit? I don't wanna spin a lot during normal driving.

At a minimum, I decided I would probably get wider wheels, nittos, and gauges (a/f and boost). I could probably get the wheels/tires partially as a x-mas gift and partially out of my pocket. So if all is good and works/sound right I should be looking at having a turbocharged 4.0 by early 2010. Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice and answers. Sorry for writing so much but I want to do as much research on the topic as I can to feel good, safe, and happy about what I am doing/planning. Any opinions are welcome.

PS-Don't bust my ***** if I have to go duals because of the turbo
Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

dude,

folks told you in the beginning, when you were asking about single exhaust and bolt on mods... you will never be satisfied with single exhaust or just a cai/tune etc... none of those mods will produce the horsepower/satisfaction of a supercharger.

your question should be simple
what supercharger/dual exhaust set up will i get? as for gears, imo... 3.73's are enough. I installed 4.10's myself, and the exhaust is very loud at cruisin speed.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

I know.

I'm doing the PH411 Intercooled single turbo kit with a minimum of boost/a/f gauges, wider rims, and wider wheels by early 2010 when I will have the money to buy and pay for install on the kit.

I would like to keep my single exhaust, but am not sure I will because how much low-end torque the PH411 turbo kit makes. Would you think I would need duals to have good traction and raise(and free up) all that low end power a few hundread rpms?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:00 PM
lurkmoar
1st Gear Member

I think the PH kit is only compatible with a Y pipe so if you wanna stay single you should be good.

I would get 3.31 or 3.55 gears.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

3.31s work great
i run 295/45/18s out back and even they will spin in 1st without having to use the clutch, and thats with only 9psi
Old 11-03-2008, 12:37 AM
07redMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe

1. Looking at my mods list right now, 4.10's are way to steep for an intercooled turbo kit running 9-11psi? 3.31's would be fine?

4.10 is overkill for any f/i mustang. 3.31 is too small I think. 3.53 or 3.73 would be the best for what you're looking for. Keep in mind that it doesn't matter how much power you have up front if you have the wrong gears your car will still feel slow. Some f/i users have said that their 3.73 was as much of a power gain as their x-charger.

2. What is the regular maintenence of an intercooled turbo kit?

Any system can be low maintenance and high maintenance it all depends. Overall though you will have to do a whole lot more with a turbo setup then a roots blower. Their is a lot more moving parts and things that can go wrong with a turbo.

3. I hear turbos increase mpg, would this be true of this kit?

Yes and no. If you're getting this kit because you want more power do you really think you're going to get more mpg's? I'm sure your foot gets a little heavier after every mod just like mine. If you drive the car the exact same way and everything then yes you should see a slight mpg increase in the city, but it's very minimal at best.

4. I have a single outlet exhaust (but it is a muffler less exhaust) with ceramic shorty headers, would I be creating too much torque even without the muffler for this system? What would you suggest? A dual set-up isn't out of the question, it would just cost me a little more time to wait for the turbo kit and a little more money out of the pocket.

Not 100% sure on this one.

5. I hear it comes with a diablo canned tune, I wouldn't be able to dyno the car probably for a few months or 1/2 a year after it's installed. Would it be ok/safe to run the canned tune that long for a DD?

300+whp on a DD canned tune is never good. Although it will get you around and it will work you run the risk of doing some serious damage to your pistons. The more power yoy make the worse canned tunes are. Keep in mind that there are a lot of factors in your a/f ratio and even though the canned tune worked well on the test car it wont be perfect on yours. With that being said you should be okay as long as you don't beat on the car too bad until you can afford a tune. Or buy a wideband a/f gauge and tune it yourself. It gives you peace of mind knowing that your car is where it should be a/f wise. I blew a piston on my last car due to a poor a/f ratio and now I would rather be safe then sorry.

6. How many hrs would it take a performance shop to install the ph411 intercooled kit(shop has installed many superchargers and turbochargers already)? Hopefully under $1300.

Not sure on this one either

7. What supporting mods would you suggest? I would guess the minimum would be wider rims and drag radials or sticky tires for the rear? Anything else?

i/h/e, 3.73 gears, atleast some 17x7 rims. I wouldn't go with drag radials on a DD personally. They are only rated at like 15k miles and for the price it just isn't worth it to me.

8. About the wider tires/rims, what the widest tire I would be able to fit on an 8" wide rim? 9" wide rim? 10" wide rim? and what would be best for the street and the intercooled turbo kit?

Well the wider the tire the more grip you will get but also the most expensive the tires.

9. Street traction with say 285 width tires be ok with the intercooled turbo kit? I don't wanna spin a lot during normal driving.

You should be okay just take it easy on the pedal and don't launch too hard and you shouldn't have trouble.
Hope that helps a little bit
Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys for all the help. I figured out my plans and put it in my sig. I'll save up for the money to do a dyno tune right after the install to be safe. I'm keeping the single exhaust because I like it and it works fine with the system.

Fazm. How's second gear with those tires and are those tires DR's, performance summer, or all season?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
Thanks guys for all the help. I figured out my plans and put it in my sig. I'll save up for the money to do a dyno tune right after the install to be safe. I'm keeping the single exhaust because I like it and it works fine with the system.

Fazm. How's second gear with those tires and are those tires DR's, performance summer, or all season?
they are just your standard nitto 555's non drag radial tire.

second gear is fine. remember my cars goes to almost 80mph in 2nd gear lol