Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Time for gear an tloc research.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 AM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

Default Time for gear an tloc research.

ok I have been looking online at different things and happened to notice that new gearss at one site "American muscle" that near gears for our cars are like 159 and that they have two types regular gears and performance from motive. I aM not knowledgable on this information. Both cost the same so what is the difference. Also I see alot of u with frpp tloc and gears are those for the 7.5 we have.
if the gears are all required " other than tloc" then the cost doesn't seem that bad for new gears.

Ok now for the noon questions.
Gears seem to be 160-200 and a tloc was 220-299. What sites or companies stand out for these. Are u guys still running the original 7.5 rearends.

What are the average costs for these installs.

What other parts are reguired if changing the rear end gears.

And the final question if I just added the tloc can u still use it later with a gear change?

So basically whAt price range is the installing. What other parts are needed for the change. From all my reading I think the 3.73 will work unless my research shows to much change in mpg "read that it is very minimal"

Ps
I was told I could gain .200+ or more on the 1/4 with the tloc so I assume the gears May add another .200 to that so almost a 1/2 second drop or more in the 1/4

Last edited by lauraspony; 11-05-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

This is the quote I was given and the price I paid:

"t-lok is 220.00 Ford Motorsport, the 3.73 gears are 189.00 Ford Motorsport, if you buy the parts thru the shop we will do the swap for 350.00 labor."

I did not have to pay for, or bring in any "extra" parts/kits for the install. They provided shims and fluids needed for the installation.

BTW... if you like going to the track... the t-lok is going to make an enormous difference for you. The gears... well... I'm not going to give you the party line... you will just have to see for yourself... and I guarantee you will have a huge smile on your face after the upgrade.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:53 AM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

ok where did you get that work and prices for the frpp gear/tloc?

So far the price difference of swap vs gears seems to be fairly close. Going to be calling around and going to shops to narrow down the prices for labor and trust factor of just gears. Been reading that they have to be pretty good to do the gears correctly.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

i got my t-lok and gears from stangmods.com....they were the best deal i could find, plus they have free shipping and offer the master rebuild kit that some people forget to add into the cost of an install

cost is 457.80
http://www.stangmods.com/Mustang-Gea...0346-pack2.htm

labor should put you 350-400

so total you should be looking at anywhere between 800-900 dollars installed vs. 800-900 for just the 8.8 rear

ps....you are also going to need a tuner to re-calibrate your speedo
Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

ok I have to ask this. Would the cost of installing just the tloc be about the same with labor u think? Probably stupid question but you don't learn without asking LOL?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lauraspony
ok I have been looking online at different things and happened to notice that new gearss at one site "American muscle" that near gears for our cars are like 159 and that they have two types regular gears and performance from motive. I aM not knowledgable on this information. Both cost the same so what is the difference. Also I see alot of u with frpp tloc and gears are those for the 7.5 we have.
if the gears are all required " other than tloc" then the cost doesn't seem that bad for new gears.

Ok now for the noon questions.
Gears seem to be 160-200 and a tloc was 220-299. What sites or companies stand out for these. Are u guys still running the original 7.5 rearends.

What are the average costs for these installs.

What other parts are reguired if changing the rear end gears.

And the final question if I just added the tloc can u still use it later with a gear change?

So basically whAt price range is the installing. What other parts are needed for the change. From all my reading I think the 3.73 will work unless my research shows to much change in mpg "read that it is very minimal"

Ps
I was told I could gain .200+ or more on the 1/4 with the tloc so I assume the gears May add another .200 to that so almost a 1/2 second drop or more in the 1/4
You can install the t-loc now, and gears later, but that is a bad idea as you will be paying big dollars for labor each time, so you might as well do them together.

3.73's are a good change...some people say in town they get better
gas mileage with the 3.73's compared to the stock 3.31's (gears make for less power needed to get up to a moderate speed = better gas mileage is the theory here). However highway speeds your mileage will drop a tad. obviously 4.10's will be an even more dramatic change as far as bump in acceleration, but they also will make for worse gas mileage at highway speeds. Kind of depends on what the majority of your driving is.

However, I will make this point. From what I have read, you have gone to the track? If you plan on going to the track a fair amount, you may want to look into the 8.8 swap. With dragging, that t-lok might not last you as long as you want it to. Several people have voiced regrets about not going with the 8.8 in the first place; they instead went with the 7.5 t-lok. Yet at the same time, Boss245 has lots of runs on his 7.5 t-lok and has yet to break it. I'd just hate to see you get it all installed and then after a year or two of track runs and DD it is burnt out.

Another option to think about is a 7.5 build-up. This is the route I am taking, as I can get a free install since my bro is a mechanic. Good, sturdy setup would be:
-Detroit TrueTrac (gear-based limited slip diff, rather than a clutch-type like the t-lok; built like a brick ****-house)
-whichever gears you choose
-Girdle for more support, T/A and LPW make them for the 7.5
-7.5 axle brace - powerhouse offers this, i believe it is a CHE product

If you go with the t-lok, a master install kit that includes seals and bearings and shims would be helpful. That and you will need 75w-140 lube for the 7.5 rear end, not sure if you need 2 or 3 bottles.

Check out CJponyparts.com...some fridays they offer 10% off, and you can get your t-lok and gears there if you so choose.

Install was quoted to me from one shop for $300, but i'm sure that can range up to 400 or so.

Not sure about the 1/4 mile time gains.

One more thing to factor in if you are really picky is that the 7.5 is 42 pounds lighter than the 8.8" rear. Not much, but some people really like to shave the pounds.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I went to a local performance shop and they put in:

FRPP 3.73 gears, FRPP t-lok, and did all the labor and everything. I walked out the door for $700 bucks, that was parts, labor, tax, title, etc.

I looked into an 8.8 but by the time I got done ordering it, with shipping, tax, etc it was over $1000 bucks.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

guess I have some searching to do and try to find a good deal LOL. Looking into both tloc and that other one.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:14 AM
a_stang_thang

I recently installed ffpp t-lok and 3.73 gears i had ordered the kit from stangmods and with the code svtsnake you can take 10-15% off. been awile since i placed the order. the kit did not come with ffpp 3.73 gears but the motive ones were on backorder for so long i upgraded for $90. performance is much improved as well as handling.cant tell you the speed difference until i get a tuner to calibrate the speedo. i was able to do all this for just over 500. but i did not have to pay labor since i did it myself in school where i trained for my ASE's. i would however make sure you take it to a trusted perfomance shop not ford or someother normal type repair shop. it may cost a little more but lash and pinion depth should be set correctly. why ford cant do this type of job is amazing but i have heard some bad stories about people getting f***ed by having the dealer do the install. hope this helps