Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
M1 is not a real full synthetic

"Whatever the majority of people do, that by definition, is normal. Still, if you want to err on the side of caution, try changing the oil every 5000 miles. Every 3000 is just marketing."

no if you use cheap dino oil and a fram filter you will be lucky to make it the 3k

easiest way is to check your oil weekly, when it gets dirty, change it
I try to avoid these...but this is just disinformation.

First, oil appearance has zero (as in nothing) to do with its ability to protect a motor. There is no visual means to identify when an oil has exceeded its capability to protect a motor...if you want a real answer, get an analysis done at set intervals and you will know exactly where you stand.

Countless studies have proven (as in controlled testing) that regular dino oil changes use bulk oil at around 8,000 are ideal. There were no measurable differences in brands or chemistry...that is all about marketing and the mighty dollar. Consumer Reports logged millions of miles with full motor teardowns at the end of the study.

For normal use (again, that is the vast majority of us) we can follow Ford's recommendation of 7,500 mile intervals.

See track time, track days or extremely aggressive driving...run synthetic and pull it out around 5-7k.

Ironically, we have very conservative change figures from the manufacturer. In Europe (where there are no "Jiffy Lubes") most change intervals (even from US makers) are double what they are in the states on the same cars. Odd huh? European standards are yearly oil changes at around 12-15k miles. That trend is slowly being accepted here by the German auto crowd...dont see a ton of blown up beemers either.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:33 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
I try to avoid these...but this is just disinformation.

First, oil appearance has zero (as in nothing) to do with its ability to protect a motor. There is no visual means to identify when an oil has exceeded its capability to protect a motor...if you want a real answer, get an analysis done at set intervals and you will know exactly where you stand.

Countless studies have proven (as in controlled testing) that regular dino oil changes use bulk oil at around 8,000 are ideal. There were no measurable differences in brands or chemistry...that is all about marketing and the mighty dollar. Consumer Reports logged millions of miles with full motor teardowns at the end of the study.

For normal use (again, that is the vast majority of us) we can follow Ford's recommendation of 7,500 mile intervals.

See track time, track days or extremely aggressive driving...run synthetic and pull it out around 5-7k.

Ironically, we have very conservative change figures from the manufacturer. In Europe (where there are no "Jiffy Lubes") most change intervals (even from US makers) are double what they are in the states on the same cars. Odd huh? European standards are yearly oil changes at around 12-15k miles. That trend is slowly being accepted here by the German auto crowd...dont see a ton of blown up beemers either.
dirty oil while better then nothing, usualy means there is sludge starting to build, so its best to go and change it, another trick is to wipe the dip stick with your fingers and see if the oil still "webs".

and the oil is NOT the issue, its the filter, theres not many oil filters designed to last for much over 5k miles, i knew someone with a older f150 who NEVER changed his oil, he just did the filter every 3500-4000 miles and topped off the oil, last i knew there was about 200k on it and still running, yet there was a guy on SVTP a few months ago who tore his motor down after 15k who did oil changes and filters every 2500 with RP and had more sludge then my uncles old toyota pick up with 380k on it.

my next question is what is YOUR deffinition of "normal use", and i also laugh at a referance to CR, there are a LOT of variables as to how long you can go before you change your oil. my car gets it done every 4000 or so with a motorcraft filter/syn blend oil, my truck, with a plow and sander on it, i do every 2500 miles with a Napa filter and regular dino oil, if you do lots of highway driving, you cold always use amsoil and the amsoil filter bypass and go 15k if you feel like putting the money out for it

Last edited by mustangman02232; 11-08-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I just went to wal-mart and bought 5W-30 Mobil 5000.

Is that stuff any good?

Also they didn't seem to have any oil filters except for FRAM...

I'm going to go to my Auto parts store and buy a filter, which one should I get?? I dont remember what I used last time...
Old 11-09-2008, 08:25 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

It may be good for as good as regular oil goes, but it is not a synthetic . While you were at wal mart you could of actually picked up their super tech oil filter which I believe is even better than fram. Otherwise motorcraft, hastings , amsoil ,wix are good filters
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Motorcraft
Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

it will be fine, and motorcraft filter, or a napa filter, or a purolator filter will be fine (all made by the same place)
Old 11-09-2008, 09:00 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Thanks. Hopefully I can find some weather that is above 20 degrees so I can change the oil! Lol.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 PM
WHATmynamechanged
Banned

i always bought the cheapest oil at walmart, I use their 5qt blue super tech 5w-30 oil, I bought 30 5qt jugs when oil was running sky high and it was 7 bucks a jug and now it's 10.50 a jug. I have used that oil in my last stang and clocked 250.000 miles when I sold it and the oil stayed so clean that after 4000 miles it was a goldish color, right there between clean and almost dirty, all that synthetic oil hype is a total waste of money for a dd IMO, if I'm running a 500 mile race and clocking 7 to 9k rpms then yeah, I'd use it but for a 4.6 mustang motor walmart brand oil it is, if you check the seals it has all the labels and more then required by Ford. I do use a motorcraft oil filter.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
mikethebikerboy
1st Gear Member

most dealers with 10w 30 or 5w 30. it comes to them in bulk. if you race the car or drive it hard go 3000 miles. if you start putting full synthetic in it you always have to have full synthetic in it. i would NEVER go 5000 miles on any oil.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:20 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

I have never heard of any harm in switching back to regular oil from synthetic .They are compatible

Quick Reply: Oil Change