Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Damn insurance quotes!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
I'm 19 and pay about 3 right now, but adding a supercharger isn't worth the extra $2k/yr in insurance.

I tried a few custom car agencies and when they heard my age, they said it wouldn't be below $5k. I'm so pissed right now. Forced induction plans are done for. I gotta think of what I wanna do with my car now. Probably a bad *** full exhaust and a few other bolt-ons I guess .
Are you on your own insurance policy or with your parents? Even if you remain as teh primary driver under a group policy, multiple car discounts usually make a huge difference.

Yeah under 25 and owning a stang sucks. The only reason I didn't get a GT the first time around was that I was 23 and it was going to cost me $3,600 a year for a GT vs the $1,800 a year for the V6. Now my GT is only 20bucks more than the V6 a month and that's taking into account the point I have from an accident about two years ago (35 now)
Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

I am under my own policy(primary driver), but my parents are under all state too. I would tell them to insure my $4k-$6k supercharger and so I don't get fuked if I get into an accident and they see it.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
devin gt/cs
2nd Gear Member

im only 20....and......i pay 900 a year as the secondary. my primary is my 89 volvo.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i have geico and i tell them all my mods only becaus by doing so they cover the replacement cost if they are ever damaged in an accident. I pay like an extra $8 a month to cover aftermarket accessories. I told them everything i have done, even power adders, granted i dont have supercharger yet, just cai/tune, exhaust. I am 25 and own an 07 GT, 2005 FX4 F150, 1999 ZX2. I pay $2000 a year
Old 11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

I'm 27 got 2 cars insured on a geico policy, the GT and an 01 VW Bug, my fiance who is 23 is also on the policy for both cars although she never drives mine... I pay $900 for six months... I shopped around and no one else could touch Geicos policy, all state wanted 1700 just for me and the GT I think it went to 2300 for the bug and fiance.... sometimes I think its a mistake but I ain't complaining... hopefully when the misses hits 25 it will drop even more!

Just keep shopping around and I'm sure you'll find a lower quote just remember not to remove to much from the policy..... otherwise the old trick of insuring an older low risk car as the primary and then the Stang as the secondary is a good but rather devious way to keep costs down....

Oh and as for the not telling them about it part.... yeah just be careful with that, you can go for years without telling them and have nothing happen which is great, cause you might not tell them, install the SC and then drive it into a wall with all that new power, in which case you gotta put the engine back to stock before the claims officer turns up....
Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

I would go with Mercury if you can it is the cheapest. I am 23 and the vette is only 1080 every 6. It is also my DD sort of. Well I have another car but it is insured in a different state so don't tell anyone hehehe.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Branomano06GT
I am 17 06 Mustang GT 100% full coverage I have to pay $3,654 every 6 months. Oh yeah its fun. Haha I pay for it myself too >.<
Ok you pay over 600 bucks a month to own your Mustang. For one why would you even do that it doesn't even make sense to buy a car and pay more insurance than the car is worth!! And two ouch.........I really don't see the point in doing that it sounds pretty dumb IMO.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 AM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

^^^ Wow at 23 you have a vette......
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

This thread is pointless...insurance companies have actuarial tables with about 1000 variables. Age is just one of the 1000+. Company to company and state to state...there are way too many variables to wrap your brain around. I traded my Accord for the Mustang and my insurance went down...go figure.

All that matters is what is in your policy. Dont take forum advice or advice from your dad's lawyer as gospel truth (or anything close). Read your policy.

Anyone that gives advice on what you should do without reading your policy is talking out of their ****.

My policy allows modifications as long as it does not change the street worthiness of the vehicle or negatively impact the safety. It does note that the cost of accessories will not be covered in the event of a loss. I can live with that.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
This thread is pointless...insurance companies have actuarial tables with about 1000 variables. Age is just one of the 1000+. Company to company and state to state...there are way too many variables to wrap your brain around. I traded my Accord for the Mustang and my insurance went down...go figure.

All that matters is what is in your policy. Dont take forum advice or advice from your dad's lawyer as gospel truth (or anything close). Read your policy.

Anyone that gives advice on what you should do without reading your policy is talking out of their ****.

My policy allows modifications as long as it does not change the street worthiness of the vehicle or negatively impact the safety. It does note that the cost of accessories will not be covered in the event of a loss. I can live with that.
+1 nailed it right on the head. Adding aftermarket parts to your car have no bearing on what happens on your policy, it's what is under the policy guidelines that can be acceptable on what you do to your car. Which is why some (or rather, all) people that modify their cars don't disclose what they did to them, because it doesn't fall under their policy guidelines.

Last edited by Mr.Bape; 11-11-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damn insurance quotes!