Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Damn insurance quotes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Angry Damn insurance quotes!

My plans have been to turbo or supercharge my mustang in 2010, but I don't know if it's going to happen now. I went to a number of insurance companies and got some quotes. I told them what I was thinking and they immediately said, ok supercharged mustang and said SVT-terminator cobra prices for me. $5k+/yr to insure my car if I do it? WTF, I got $5k+/yr quotes from geico, all state, state farm, esurance, and nationwide. I'm of course gonna look into some custom car insurance agencies and see what they give me, but I may stick to naturally aspirated mods if I am gonna have to pay GT500/Cobra money for a damn forced induction 6.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

why even tell them about the s/c? Its not like they would cover the cost of it if you got in a wreck. I am not totally sure, but i dont think many tell their insurance about the mods they have done to the car.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I didnt tell my insurance when i installed the xcharger
Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
why even tell them about the s/c? Its not like they would cover the cost of it if you got in a wreck. I am not totally sure, but i dont think many tell their insurance about the mods they have done to the car.
Well I first talked to one of my dad's friends who is an attorney, and he said if I got in an accident and they saw a super/turbocharger that they could void my insurance and pay nothing on my damages or other car damages and I'd be screwed over. So I went and got quotes out of future necessity and they were insane. My mods now aren't far from the norm and barely noticable to the naked eye, and I could say they are ford parts b/c ford makes exhaust and intake mods that are covered. And I also like the security of having it covered if an accident happens. Those prices include covering it. I am gonna do some custom car insurance quotes today and maybe tomorrow to see what I am looking at. I hate this. I'd be better off probably just selling it and getting a gt w/bolt-ons, but that would even be rediculous because I have already put a couple thousand into my car and another $1k of parts is on the way. Not to mention that modded cars resale value is a lot less.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Did you telll them about your CAI and tuner?? if so did it affect the rate?

Im with mercury and i get really good rates about $500 every 6 months..AND IM ONLY 17!!!
and thats even with full covreage, we only get such good rates because our house is insured with them also
Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Don't tell them about it. Just don't be stupid and get in a wreck that is your fault because of it. I didn't tell them I had one and they even looked at my car for a couple things in the past and they didn't say anything about it. Mustang insurance is expensive as it tho, I was paying 100 bucks more a month with my v6 mustang than I am with the C6 vette. Must be the age group or something not sure.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

im 19 and i pay around 3600 a year for a v6.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yomofoitzjay
im 19 and i pay around 3600 a year for a v6.
I'm 19 and pay about 3 right now, but adding a supercharger isn't worth the extra $2k/yr in insurance.

I tried a few custom car agencies and when they heard my age, they said it wouldn't be below $5k. I'm so pissed right now. Forced induction plans are done for. I gotta think of what I wanna do with my car now. Probably a bad *** full exhaust and a few other bolt-ons I guess .
Old 11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

I don't see why you even have to tell them 95% of people dont.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

I am 17 06 Mustang GT 100% full coverage I have to pay $3,654 every 6 months. Oh yeah its fun. Haha I pay for it myself too >.<

Quick Reply: Damn insurance quotes!