Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gt take off axle back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Default gt take off axle back?

I'm considering getting a gt muffler until I can afford a dual exhaust. How is the sound of it, I've heard videos where it sounded good and videos where it sounded ricey and popped a lot. Is it loud enough to turn heads?

thanks everyone
---Jordan
Old 11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Well, it is a definite upgrade over the V6 single axle back for sure. If you can find a cheap pair, go for it. Usually they cost $40 on craigslist, don't pay more any more than that really. As for turning heads, no, it won't, but you will be heard slightly.

I still have mine on but I'm going to be changing them real soon, here is a clip if you want to hear (cold start, thats why it is popping on some of the revs).

Idle: http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...xhaustidle.flv
Rev: http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...exhaustrev.flv
Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Usually the popping comes from a cold start. Like Avalance said, it wont have people breaking their necks to see you LOL but, its much better than stock thats for damn sure! Its a good starter exhaust to set you up for duals
Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Def sounds better than the stock muff, and for the $$ you cant beat it : )
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
project85
3rd Gear Member

I think you should just save up for dual exhaust you really want

Last edited by project85; 11-19-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Geckoman...my wife just bought me the FRPP pack, so I will be pulling off my GT takeoffs. They have less than 1k miles on them. I got them here for $50..and will pas them on for the same or less. Shipping was around $25 each if I recall.

A single GT takeoff sounds and flows MUCH better than the stocker. That will be a huge step int he right direction and will get you by. You can alos get the GT takeoffs now, and mount one...save up a couple bills and get the duals strung up (about $250). For less than $350...it will be the cheapest dual option going and sounds pretty darn good. There are quite a few guys with 6ers running exactly that. I have heard that a few guys have just taken the two T takeoffs to Midas and the muffler shop rigs everything they need for around $200...also a good option.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

i like the gt muffler. has a much better sound than the stock thing IMO
Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Sounds pretty good with my set up. Mac LT Headers, Prochamber and takeoffs. Took off my GTAs and put those on since I wanted something more quiet.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 PM
melo15fan15
2nd Gear Member

I personally dont find it at all worth it to get GT axle backs. If your getting duals in the future then save the $50 and put it towards that. I have dual flowmaster AT's and they're great. Save and get a dual exhaust. If your fine with just the GT then do it up. Whatever you like works man, its your car! Good luck on whatever you decide
Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
A single GT takeoff sounds and flows MUCH better than the stocker. That will be a huge step in the right direction and will get you by. You can also get the GT takeoffs now, and mount one...save up a couple bills and get the duals strung up (about $250). For less than $350...it will be the cheapest dual option going and sounds pretty darn good. There are quite a few guys with 6ers running exactly that. I have heard that a few guys have just taken the two takeoffs to Midas and the muffler shop rigs everything they need for around $200...also a good option.
AGREED! illin knows what he's takin' about.. shortly after I got my Stang, I bought the GT take-off mufflers and mounted ONE in place of my stock muffler (until I get around to doing the dual set-up). After installing it, I started it up & EVERYONE nearby grinned and said "THAT sounds GREAT!" Driving around, I definitely get some heads to turn, but duals will be even more badass. Duals also make the car look more like a GT!

When I go dual, I'm just going to have the X-pipe and driver's side mid-pipe made up @ the muffler shop and have them mount my other GT muffler.. so it's really NOT a waste to have gotten the GT take-off mufflers. Once that's done, you have the SAME set-up as the FRPP kit.. the FRPP kit is overpriced IMO.

Quick Reply: gt take off axle back?