Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The anxiety is killing me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:17 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Default The anxiety is killing me.

Bought the FRPP exhaust kit today, after having my GT bumper installed for a week now. The only thing I'm waiting on before I put it on is that I would like to use one of my friend's car lifts in their garage to lift my car up and make my life a ton easier. It's probably getting installed next week.

Anyone that has installed this kit on their Mustang that can give me any tips or advice on the install? Thanks.

Last edited by The Potato; 11-28-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:26 PM
thuxel
2nd Gear Member

how do you get your car into a closet?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Oh god don't tell me about it. I have to be so careful when I pull it into my garage. The side mirrors are an inch away from both walls. :X
Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 PM
thuxel
2nd Gear Member

I thought everything in Texas was BIG?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Potato
Oh god don't tell me about it. I have to be so careful when I pull it into my garage. The side mirrors are an inch away from both walls. :X
How do you get out of your car without smacking the door into the wall? Looks like a tight squeeze.

As for tips: Get the car as high up off the ground as you can, and then just take your time with it. There will be some struggling probably, and you might say a few bad words, but it'll all fit together and you'll have the cool sound/look of duals in a few hours.

Take it for a run, then come home, crack a beer, and sit in the driveway ogling your Mustang's new booty.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

I put my hand on the corner of the door to prevent it from hitting the wall. Then I slide in. I'm a really thin person, so it's no problem for me.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:02 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

As far as tips:
- have a zawsaw handy to cut the stock pipe ahead of the crossover
- the stock muffler will have an extra front rubber isolator/hanger (at the front of the muffler) that you dont need; simply unbolt it from the frame by its 2 bolts and remove it when you remove the stock muffler
- if you need to adjust the exiting tip locations, you can tweak the locations of the rear hangers by using some flat wahsers/spacers between the hanger and the frame; I had to do this to my STOCK side to get it to exit properly with different mufflers.

Also regarding your kit, is the pipes coming in suited for 2.25" pipe? The stock piping between the cats and Y are 2.25", and 2.5" after the Y. Hopefully your kit has proper clamps for making the transition. (I found this out the hard way when I first put my dual system on!)

BTW, doing the GT bumper is the way to go! I did a cutout on mine, but am looking for a rear bumper.
Good luck!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure I have all the necessary clamps, the kit came with around 8 of the things (they're all inside that white box to the right of the car in the first pic). I would have kept my v6 bumper, but somebody scraped the side of my bumper while I was at a stop. So with all the insurance covering the repair bill, I decided to pay an extra $5 and go with the GT bumper.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to need it .

1 more thing; on the instruction sheet, it says that I need to tap a hole for my muffler hanger on the left side of my car. But when I looked down there, there were already holes in place. Did you still have to make another hole to fit the hanger? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:16 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

The holes are already in place, but they aren't threaded on the driver's side.

However, I'm pretty sure the FRPP kit comes with self-tapping bolts so you should be fine. If they aren't self-tapping you'll have to tap the holes yourself, or just go out and buy self-tapping bolts for it.

I've also heard of a few people just forcing a normal bolt through so it cuts the threads as it goes, but if you screw those threads up you're going to be in for a headache and a delay in getting your exhaust done so I wouldn't risk that.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Oh, ok. Thanks.

Quick Reply: The anxiety is killing me.