Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Some questions about a mustang I bought

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
garrett720

Default Some questions about a mustang I bought

I recently bought a 2005 V6 mustang with an automatic. I bought it from a dealer so they couldnt tell me much about it. From looking at all I can tell it has for accessores is it has headers and dual exhaust with the gt rear bumper, and a TB spacer and just a drop in k&n filter. I am wondering if it has gears because it doesn't ever down shift going up a hill with the cruise control on. I can also make my back end spin both tires and go side ways if im pulling out of a stop sign and turning. Does it have a limited slip of some sort. I cant go off RPM's because my guage pretty much always reads zero or all the way. ITS BROKE. I think it seems too powerful to be a V6 with just the accessories it has, so Im thinking it has to have gears. Thanks in advance GARRETT KOPECKI
Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
youngmustanger
1st Gear Member

You are probably right! Our V6s stock only spin one tire! I would get the car checked by a mechanic just to make sure everything is ok, you never know how someone who mods their car treats it. I know allot of people that fully customize their cars and baby them after all the work is done, but there is always an idiot or two out there.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
melo15fan15
2nd Gear Member

if both wheels are putting power to the ground then most likely you have a lim slip diff.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
garrett720

Everything seems to be working fine except for the RPM Gauge. It has 60,000 miles on it. I just changed the spark plugs and wires and fuel filter yesterday. The plugs in the car were terrible. They had about double the gap they were supposed to have. I bought it so I didnt have to drive my lifted diesel truck everywhere. The car also has the GT front grille and lights and the wheels are changed out to some 18" chrome bullit style wheels. I will get some pics up on here as soon as I can. I guess Im gonna take off the rear diff cover and check whats in there cuz it spins two tires most of the time. I came across a a CandL intake and a predator programmer for it for $300. Should I buy that. Is there that much of a difference in power and MPG. Thanks GARRETT
Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Yikes. The real question is, is the tune returned to stock or not? Chances are, the car may have been tuned, maybe. If so, then any other tuner won't have the stock tune on it.
They should be able to tell you at the stealership if the stock tune is in there.
Regarding the rear end, you may have different gears in there, too. But since the tach isn't working, you cant really tell. If you're going 70 at about 2000 rpm, then it has stock gears (3.31s). that would save you from having to take the cover off to know, although you might want to anyway to see what kind of differential is in there, whether it's a t-loc or something else.

(...and what part of TX???...)
Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Instead of removing the rear cover, SAFELY jack up the rear suspension (supported by jackstands ideally) and put the car in neutral. By hand spin the passenger tire in the forward direction. If it has an LSD, then the driver's side tire will spin forwards too. If is spins the opposite (reverse) direction, then you have an open differential.

To determine your gears, use a yellow crayon and mark the inside of the passenger side tire, and then mark the lower edge of the rear driveshaft flange. By hand spin the tire forwards ONCE (360*) and count the number of times the driveshaft spins. If is only spins about 3-1/4 times, then you most likely have the stock 3.31:1 gears. If is spins about 3-3/4 times, then you most likely have 3.73:1 gears. That works for LSD rears most of the time, but not 100%.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
Instead of removing the rear cover, SAFELY jack up the rear suspension (supported by jackstands ideally) and put the car in neutral. By hand spin the passenger tire in the forward direction. If it has an LSD, then the driver's side tire will spin forwards too. If is spins the opposite (reverse) direction, then you have an open differential.

To determine your gears, use a yellow crayon and mark the inside of the passenger side tire, and then mark the lower edge of the rear driveshaft flange. By hand spin the tire forwards ONCE (360*) and count the number of times the driveshaft spins. If is only spins about 3-1/4 times, then you most likely have the stock 3.31:1 gears. If is spins about 3-3/4 times, then you most likely have 3.73:1 gears. That works for LSD rears most of the time, but not 100%.
See guys, I knew we kept him around for a reason
Old 12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
garrett720

I live in Karnes City. Thanks for all the info. When I get off work this evening Im gonna jack my car up and see what gears I have and if my diff has a limited slip of some sort. I dont know why i didnt think of that. HA. So far the best mpg I have got is 24.8 and thats taking it pretty dang easy. Is it worth it for me to buy that C&L intake and tuner for my car or will I not notice much a difference power and mileage wise? I bought the car to save money on my diesel bill and the up keep cost there is to drive my truck. Will that tuner help prolong the life of my tranny?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Getting a GOOD tune will help increase your mileage, and a CAI may help a little, but the tune is what really does it. With my stock tune, the best I ever got on highway average (on typical texas trips averaging 70-ish mph w/cruise control) was 25.5. With a custom tune (and a K&N cai), that increased to a little over 27. That's with an 87 octane tune; SWTuning in OK city did that tune, and it was sweeeet!