Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
csandvik

Default Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack

I was wondering what the thoughts on this package was? I like the exhaust but not sure about the CAI and tuner. Would I be better off getting a better CAI/tuner and then get the exhaust at a later date?
I just wanted some opinions to help me decide.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 08:14 PM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

usually packages like that are kinda overpriced and you won't see as good of power gains. your better off getting a JLT intake and an SCT or Diablo tuner rather than the ford racing stuff. you'll see better power gains and get a better bang for your buck
Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

IMO with stuff like this they like to "play it safe" and while getting an aftermarket CAI/TUNE is still safe, its a hell of a lot more fun than anything Ford is gonna offer (Not to mention TONS cheaper!) You're better off getting that exhaust and finding a different CAI/Tune...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM
OldGuy

I put this on my car and to be honest it has ended up costing me quite a bit more than it should have, but I'm happy with the end result. I like using Ford parts when possible. Not because I think they are better, but for warranty reasons and to keep the car "Ford" as much as possible.

With regard to the FRPP CAI and tune, the CAI is great; the tune isn't. After driving mine for a few weeks I put in an order with Bamachips and now have a 93 octane torque tune on my car to go along with the FRPP CAI. Much better than the Ford tune but much more expensive to do it this way.

As for the exhaust, I liked everything except that I thought the GTA mufflers were a little too loud, although I will admit that they really sounded good. I swapped them for some GT take-offs and am much happier now. Again I was duplicating expenses making it cost more than it should have.

Keep in mind that I'm 60 years old and my hot rod days are behind me; therefore, the loudness that I didn't like with the FRPP GTA mufflers probably won't be a factor with you young guys. For this reason, I highly recommend the FRPP dual exhaust kit.

Cruiser
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Blasphemy!!!

"I thought the GTA mufflers were a little too loud, although I will admit that they really sounded good. I swapped them for some GT take-offs and am much happier now."
Old 12-11-2008, 11:12 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

The GTA's on the FRPP exhaust sound incredible...THAT is a GREAT package.

It is also one of the lest expensive quality options out there. My exhuast kit was less than $700 isntalled by the dealer...that is hard to beat.

I ALMOST decided to go back to FRPP for a CAI/tune...but have stuck with my S&B and Predator w/ Bama. However, the FRPP was $410 at my dealer...that, too, is very reasonable.

For folks that bought extended warranties and are concerned about the warranty, the FRPP is a great option. It is stunning tha Ford offers such quality upgrades IMO.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM
csandvik

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking about just getting the exhaust and then throwing on a CAI and tune later on.

It sounds like everybody is plesed with the dual exhaust. Is the a decent bump in horsepower?

Illin: You say that $700 for the system and install at your dealer? That doesn't sound bad.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by csandvik

Illin: You say that $700 for the system and install at your dealer? That doesn't sound bad.
Yeah...my wife even was the shopper. The listed it as $580 for parts and $128 for labor = $708 total. Cannot beat it.

It sounds fantastic.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

It may seem cheaper to buy a kit but i would go custom, ive looked at these packages but there is always something in the kit i dont like.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
It may seem cheaper to buy a kit but i would go custom, ive looked at these packages but there is always something in the kit i dont like.
+1

Id go with a diff tune and CAI

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack