Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Very Narrow Drone - New FRPP

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:59 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Yea def check the clearence for rubbing. Also yea give some time for them to break in. My piping rubs and drones when at a stop sometimes but other then that its perfect.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Resonator is not needed for the FRPP kit, as it has next to no drone. His problem is more of a rub/break-in issue.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Keep you of overdrive (5) by pressing the button on the shifter. I have a bama 93 race tune and can easily stay in 4th until about 50. Also.... if that does not work.. just see if you can get your hands on some GTAs... or ask your dealer to swap them for you... If you thought the it was going to come with GTAs.. your dealership might accommodate you.

<<sorry.. didn't read the other posts before i posted>>

Also, if you are close to saint Louis, I have the GTAs and would be happy to let you hear the difference... of there is any.

Last edited by MrSandman; 12-19-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:04 PM
OldGuy

I put the FRPP exhaust package on my car a few months ago and had the same problem. I never really calculated the exact rpm band but it was in the 1200-1800 range and with city driving I hated it, and that's generally where I seemed to be driving in town. I never use overdrive so that wasn't a solution.

I'm not saying that it sounded bad, just that it was a loud drone in the car in that 1500 rpm area that was constantly starting and stopping as I drove around town. It made it hard to even listen to the radio as it would be too loud one minute, and then I couldn't hear it the next minute; and that was with normal around town driving.

I finally had enough and swapped those Bullitt mufflers for some GT take-offs and I couldn't be happier. They aren't as loud but it's a much more even, linear, and pleasant sound. Plus I can actually listen to my radio without constantly adjusting the volume.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:52 PM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

I have FRPP's bought them in June How Do you if you have FRPP GTAS or GTBS
Old 12-22-2008, 05:21 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by defiance777
I have FRPP's bought them in June How Do you if you have FRPP GTAS or GTBS
Mine has the GTBs. Or HAD I should say.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Ok...FIXED.

I hated to do it, but I pulled the GTBs (Bullitt mufflers) off my car today. I want it to be perfect and adjusting my shft points via my tuner and always messing with the o/d button is silly IMO. I paid good money for the FRPP kit and I want it to be perfect...or OEM quality.

So, I ran over to the dealer and they gave me a set of GT rolled tips takeoffs from a manual (brand new) for $30...cool. It is like 5 degrees out, so I paid a muffler shop $50 cash to pull the Bullitts off and hang the GTs on. Result?

Perfect.

So, the FRPP with GT takeoffs sounds REALLY good. Not a hint of drone anywhere. Great nice idle sound, great on the throttle and they are dead silent running down the highway. I am happy.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:05 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Post #2
I'm glad you got it worked out and happy with it.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well, it sounds good that you got it fixed. I will say though if you go to get some more mufflers, that the Flowmaster 40's sound great, but the drone on them is absolutley horrible.

So What do you guys think about fixing the drone on my 40's a Xpipe and some resonators. How much they going to cost and where can i get some at
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

so what are you doin with the GTBs

Quick Reply: Very Narrow Drone - New FRPP